Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S and 3 Side View Comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it would make sense for the 3 to have a longer front door and be taller as well. They are looking to refine the product based on past experience, and 2 things that could be improved on the S is ease of entry/exit in the front and overall headroom (increased height helps front entry/exit as well; the steep slope of the windshield in the S is part of what makes entry/exit less than ideal).

Reactions: ZachShahan
Very cool pictures. Sorry, but I think the Model ☰ is higher than the Model S (look at the picture below) on the GIF they have the same level. View attachment 176135

You have two pictures taken from exactly the same place of cars parked in exactly the same spot and orientation that shows them to be the same height. On the other hand you have a picture where one car is closer than the other and the closer car looks bigger. That's just perspective. If he made the 3 higher in the GIF then the background would no longer match, so that would be clearly wrong.

Last edited:
The perspective (angle) of that photo makes it impossible to accurately visualize the height of the different cars.

The side view comparison proves the S and the 3 are the same height in those photos, within an inch or less. Of course we don't know if either car had air suspension, and if so, what it was set at.
Very cool pictures. Sorry, but I think the Model ☰ is higher than the Model S (look at the picture below) on the GIF they have the same level. View attachment 176135

One thing I didn't realize until doing the comparison GIF is that the Model 3 C pillar is angled aft. The C pillar in the Model S is angled forward. While the forward angled pillar on the S is more aggressive looking, the aft angle pillar makes it easier to get in and out of the back of the car.

The 3 looks similar to the X from the side. This is due to 1) the rear window ending so far back, and 2) the C pillar is angled back (or nearly vertical like the X).

2017-Tesla-Model-3-rear-baby-seat-1.jpg

One thing I didn't realize until doing the comparison GIF is that the Model 3 C pillar is angled aft. The C pillar in the Model S is angled forward. While the forward angled pillar on the S is more aggressive looking, the aft angle pillar makes it easier to get in and out of the back of the car.

The 3 looks similar to the X from the side. This is due to 1) the rear window ending so far back, and 2) the C pillar is angled back (or nearly vertical like the X).

2017-Tesla-Model-3-rear-baby-seat-1.jpg

For the lack of EVs to compare...Bolt has the C pillar going forward (it may be structural thing on hatchbacks):

Bolt_2_XL_copy.jpg

• Helpful
since the M3 is shorter, it looks taller. similar to a prius, if there is a longer version of the prius, the longer version would look lower.

i'm really liking the Frunk hood. i hope they reinforce it so we can close it properly, with no worries about denting it.