Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S and a solar roof avalanche

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have PVs in an area where it snows this won't likely be a surprise - solar panels shed snow, all at once. When they shed snow things underneath them tends to get pretty messed up. We had snow here in CT on Wednesday, and yesterday as I pulled my car out of my garage my panels decided that was the perfect time to shed... Right onto the roof of my Model S. For a moment I expected the pano to cave in on me, but it didn't. In fact, there isn't even a scratch on the car! The rhododendron next to the driveway, however, is totally destroyed.

If you have PVs in an area where it snows this won't likely be a surprise - solar panels shed snow, all at once. When they shed snow things underneath them tends to get pretty messed up. We had snow here in CT on Wednesday, and yesterday as I pulled my car out of my garage my panels decided that was the perfect time to shed... Right onto the roof of my Model S. For a moment I expected the pano to cave in on me, but it didn't. In fact, there isn't even a scratch on the car! The rhododendron next to the driveway, however, is totally destroyed.

Metal roofs are similar in this regard. A buddy has a country home with a large metal-roofed garage and he has to be very careful about where cars, trailers etc. are parked in the winter to avoid these occasional "avalanches". (A small box trailer parked beside the garage was once crushed!)

The Model S is so structurally sound, that the NHTSA’s roof crush resistance testing machine actually broke when they tried to test the Model S under it. The Model S’s roof crush resistance is over twice the requirement by the NHTSA.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2013/01/18/what-are-some-mind-blowing-facts-about-tesla-motors/

Can we have a moment of silence for the rhododendron, please? The car is fine, but a living, breathing plant has suffered through an immensely tragic event and probably will never recover.

(And frankly, I want to know just exactly why it was in such a clearly unsafe situation.)

Can we have a moment of silence for the rhododendron, please? The car is fine, but a living, breathing plant has suffered through an immensely tragic event and probably will never recover.

(And frankly, I want to know just exactly why it was in such a clearly unsafe situation.)
I actually have a wooden a-frame that I normally put over the plant, but as my wife keeps telling me I "spend so much time just sitting in the car that nothing is getting done." Which is true. Plant neglect? Maybe. Tesla love? Indeed!