Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S and coasting, increasing the comfort for passengers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked before but forgot... If regen is set to low, does it go to 60kW when you step on the brakes or not?

If not, why not?

It does not, because Tesla (and BMW among others) decided not to mix wasteful braking with efficient regeneration. I for one am VERY happy with that decision. I formerly had a Lexus RX400h, and the dual function progressive brakes were horrible. It was very difficult to know how much of which one was using, and the transition between the two was effectively a dead spot in the braking proportionality, making them mushy and vague. Moreover, the cruise control system was ineffective at controlling speed downhill, so you'd end up going 80-90 when your target speed was 70, on any sort of hill at all.

I'm not arguing with you. :)

Question. Does the Model S have a speed limit at which the car should not pass while in neutral? For example, the Prius can be put in neutral at any speed BUT it must not be put in neutral below 42mph then allowed to accelerate above 42mph or damage may occur. The HSD system is completely different than the Model S drivetrain but it's something to think about?

I was switching between N and D at speeds up to 160 km/h (100 MPH) last week, in a rented Model S, with no issues at all (in Germany, on the "AutoBahn"). Going on a smooth surfaced extended 8% downhill (just finished resurfacing this summer I believe), the low drag and high weight of the Model S meant I was some times steady around 100 MPH - coasting! I didn't do anything illegal here, although one has to watch the signs: Some of those downhills are annoyingly limited to 120 km/h (75 MPH), forcing you to use regen (while ICE cars must use engine braking or as some do, mechanical brakes). I even used N after passing someone, going close to the top speed of the Model S, then going to N to bleed the speed back to 150 km/h (or whatever), then re-engage D and cruise control simultaneously (slight accelerator pressure to avoid the regen surge when re-engaging). If you are in no rush to reduce your speed, N works a charm to just bleed it off using drag.

As I wrote previously, to me it's not as much about saving a little power, but mainly for the comfort of my passengers, and my right foot, and just that feeling of free gliding. It might be a case of believing what you want to believe, but it does feel a lot more light when coasting, rather than when I try to feather it out by throttle-fiddling. At 100 MPH I don't to be too much heads down, even when there is no traffic around me and I have 5 lanes at my disposal, using N I know it's just zero power, and I can focus on the road.

I started this thread about coasting, not about "not-coasting". Although I don't mind the input of the anti-coasting lobby, you don't need to use your power to try to convince me that it's illegal, unethical, difficult, out of fashion, unsafe or any other argument against it. It's safe, comfortable, sensible and I just wanted to share the information with others. If someone wants to start a "99 reasons not to coast the Model S in Neutral", I would be happy to read that too, maybe even make a (non-persuasive) comment as well.

Oh, I wish I had brought the GoPro camera, to show how well it works.

Last edited:
It does not, because Tesla (and BMW among others) decided not to mix wasteful braking with efficient regeneration. I for one am VERY happy with that decision. I formerly had a Lexus RX400h, and the dual function progressive brakes were horrible. It was very difficult to know how much of which one was using, and the transition between the two was effectively a dead spot in the braking proportionality, making them mushy and vague. Moreover, the cruise control system was ineffective at controlling speed downhill, so you'd end up going 80-90 when your target speed was 70, on any sort of hill at all.
I call BS. I had the same car and braking and cruise was flawless for over 70k. Couldn't even tell a difference even if you were looking for it.

And anyway tesla is doing it. Welcome to the iBooster.