Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S and Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping I can get at least get comfortable seats, AWD, sub-zero package, and a 70-75 kWh battery offering 250+ miles of range.

Enhanced Autopilot with self-driving capability is a given as these will be standard on all Tesla models.

Door pockets and plenty of cup-holders would be great.

I just have to wonder how few options can a Tesla Model 3 have, if it is to have less than the Toyota level of customization Model S "enjoys".

A bog-standard Audi A4 has several pages of options, far more than a Model S or X has.

Maybe Model 3 will be like Model T, it can be any color as long as it is black.

I just have to wonder how few options can a Tesla Model 3 have, if it is to have less than the Toyota level of customization Model S "enjoys".

A bog-standard Audi A4 has several pages of options, far more than a Model S or X has.

Not in the US though. Everything in the US is packages on Euro cars rather than individual options.

Not in the US though. Everything in the US is packages on Euro cars rather than individual options.

I know, but I was looking at the respective home market, in this case Germany. Tesla does not offer European styled options at all, so they lack this versatility in general.

Still, go to audiusa.com and spec yourself an Audi A4. There are more options even there than for Model S on tesla.com, especially after Tesla packaged even the interior trims.

I do wonder how massively limited Model 3 must be, if it is worse than Model S...

I know, but I was looking at the respective home market, in this case Germany. Tesla does not offer European styled options at all, so they lack this versatility in general.

Still, go to audiusa.com and spec yourself an Audi A4. There are more options even there than for Model S on tesla.com, especially after Tesla packaged even the interior trims.

I do wonder how massively limited Model 3 must be, if it is worse than Model S...
Tesla takes from the Apple school of thought: too much choice is worse in terms of generating sales. It confuses the consumer and they may end up opting for a different product that offers less choice, but is much simpler to order.

Of course there is a balance. Consumers in general don't like bundling when it forces them to get things that they didn't want. But having too many minute options isn't a good thing either.

Reactions: No ICE and labfm
Tesla takes from the Apple school of thought: too much choice is worse in terms of generating sales. It confuses the consumer and they may end up opting for a different product that offers less choice, but is much simpler to order.

Of course there is a balance. Consumers in general don't like bundling when it forces them to get things that they didn't want. But having too many minute options isn't a good thing either.

Ah yes, the individuality of everyone having the same iPhone... ;)

Maybe Tesla will try to continue to offer very limited options. Like a Toyota. We shall see how being a Toyota in the premium car market works for them once there is large-battery competition. (Model 3 still aims at the premium car market.)

Until then they may be isolated from that...

Almost every "option" for the A4 is standard on the Model S which would explain why there are so few additional options. There may not be as many color choices or decorative inlays but ....
The A4 convenience package - everything in it is standard on the model S except satellite radio, and maybe the anti theft (I couldn't see anything one way or the other on the Tesla site).
The A4 navigation package - is all standard on the model S, except for the Audi connect stuff, which may or may not be equivalent to the OTA updates and wireless of the model S.
The A4 sport package I don't think has an equivalent but that is only a couple of things.

In either case, all these doom and gloom posts about the model 3 are funny since we don't know what options it will or won't have yet.

I've tried to guess on the the features / options that are available on the Model S/X that may not be available on the Model 3:

Probably not available on the 3 (at least for a year or two):
two displays
presenting door handles
self open / shut doors
ludicrous
325 mile range
AWD (2018)

Maybe available / maybe not:
Bio weapon defense mode
Fully opening sunroof
Air suspension

I would be really surprised if the follow options were not available:
Cold weather
Sound upgrade
Premium

and what Elon has committed to:
Autopilot
Full Self Driving

Edits/ thoughts?

So what exactly will they cut out? I'll list the features from Tesla's website... Maybe we can brainstorm what exactly Tesla thinks might be out. This of course doesn't list the battery and drive features. I'll put my comments on what I think they might drop.

Features...
  • 17" capacitive touchscreen - Of course gone for the new 15" screen
  • Onboard maps and navigation with free updates for 7 years - Will this continue to be included for free? Maybe the tech package will come back?
  • Automatic keyless entry - I am guessing they'll include this
  • WiFi and Internet connectivity - I am guessing they'll include this for over the air but maybe it will cost extra and they'll expect you to wifi the car to your home internet to get updates?
  • Mobile app remote control - I am guessing they'll still include this.
  • Retracting door handles - Know this is gone...
  • One touch power windows - They'll include this... Maybe it will be limited to one or two windows?
  • High definition backup camera - They'll have to keep this due to regulations
  • GPS enabled Homelink - This could be dropped or maybe just make it a button someone has to press instead of GPS based.
  • Hands free talking with Bluetooth - They'll keep this
  • Voice activated controls - They'll keep this
  • AM, FM, and Internet streaming radio - Maybe no internet streaming if the car doesn't have LTE?
  • Available Ultra High Fidelity Sound package with XM radio support - I am guessing they'll have an option but maybe not as many speakers
  • Auto dimming mirrors - Maybe just the rear view mirror.
  • Power folding, heated side mirrors with memory - Maybe ditch the power folding mirrors
  • Two USB ports for media and power - They'll keep
  • 12 volt power outlet - Keep
  • Twelve way power adjustable, heated front seats with memory and driver profile - I am hoping they keep memory because this is something I want but I wouldn't be surprised if they drop it. They could also go to a 6 or 8 way power seat instead of 12.
  • Available subzero weather package with heated rear seats and wiper blade and windshield washer fluid defrosters - Maybe just have rear heated seats and get rid of the wiper bland and washer fluid defrosters?
  • Front trunk (no engine!), rear trunk, and 60/40 folding rear seats. Keep it. Just not as big
  • I am guessing the safety features will all stay.
  • On the interior upgrade package I bet they drop some LED lighting, maybe not have the HEPA filter available and ditch the power trunk lid
  • I am guessing initially there will be less wheels to choose from but that is an easy way to get more money out of people.
  • Roof options should be similar.

It's fine Tesla trying to keep the Model S income generating machine going but in my book Model 3 IS the next generation car simply because it was a fresh attempt at Tesla EV design from ground up.

not really... the frame is going to be exactly like the S/X, just smaller proportion. same battery layout, packaging, and technology. same AC motors.

it will be, as Elon has stated many times, a stripped down Model S. it will provide the awesome Tesla EV driving experience, and Autopilot, but little else.

@ummgood I think your guesses are pretty spot-on. I think some of the features you list will probably be options, rather than standard, such as memory seats and power-fold mirrors. In terms of LED lighting, it's become relatively commoditized now. Heck, even the Toyota Corolla offers it as standard.

@ummgood I think your guesses are pretty spot-on. I think some of the features you list will probably be options, rather than standard, such as memory seats and power-fold mirrors. In terms of LED lighting, it's become relatively commoditized now. Heck, even the Toyota Corolla offers it as standard.

You are probably right. I am guessing the options will be grouped in with large option packages. So maybe interior will have base level and then the interior upgrade which includes memory etc... Similar to the Model S but without the bioweapon defense mode. Also when I was mentioning LED I don't mean normal cabin lights but the extra trendy lighting like 'mood' lighting will probably be replaced with maybe a couple footwell lights and a dome light and that is it.

You are probably right. I am guessing the options will be grouped in with large option packages. So maybe interior will have base level and then the interior upgrade which includes memory etc... Similar to the Model S but without the bioweapon defense mode. Also when I was mentioning LED I don't mean normal cabin lights but the extra trendy lighting like 'mood' lighting will probably be replaced with maybe a couple footwell lights and a dome light and that is it.

Yeah, "ambient" color-changing LED lighting will probably be optional. But I expect all the lighting throughout the vehicle inside and out to be LED. I'm sure there will be a few a la carte options, but like you said, probably three or four major packages with the equipment bundled together.

I suspect there will be trim options. You won't get to pick individual options as much as the S (which frankly isn't much), but you will get to pick between battery size, D, and P. So I'm thinking these for the trim levels:

3 55
3 55D
3 75 (maybe)
3 75D
3 P75DL

And then the higher up you go, the more options are added. So if you want the luxury features, you gotta splurge for the higher trim level. This would drastically reduce customization. I don't like it, but I can't see it getting any simpler than the S already is... I hope it's not like this for the sake of people who want a cheap low-range RWD with a better interior. Because you're gonna want to definitely check that box based on the pics we've seen so far...

I wonder what Tesla will be like in 50 years, assuming the risks they're taking with Model 3 don't bankrupt them. Will we have 4 pages of options? Because that would be awesome.