Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S and X refresh poll Australia and New Zealand.

what type of refresh would you like.

• No refresh for X or S in 2019

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Leave the exterior alone, upgrade internals

Votes: 30 68.2%
  • 115kwh pack on both cars

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • 125kwh pack on model X

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • 135kwh pack on Model X

Votes: 12 27.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This poll is open to everyone, plenty of discussion welcome.
Personally I think the exterior of both cars is hard to improve so I would rather just see the internals upgraded (not the touchscreen or dashboard layout ).
The model S has plenty of range but the X could have a bigger battery option for those that want to tow longer distances.
two poll choice options are available.

Given that Tesla are introducing permanent magnet motors in the Model S and Model X that will improve efficiency, and if they redo the pack with 2170 cells, lighten the vehicle, the sum of these improvements could gain how much in range?

Although I voted for the second option I would be happy to see a restyle by Franz in the near future.
I think Model S will struggle in the marketplace without an updated look soon as it is now a mainstream choice.
Bring on additional hardware to make it smarter and the interface faster and better, but I don’t think I would need any more range than what is provided by a 100 KWh battery. I hope they take advantage of the more dense batteries to make the car lighter and more nimble like MODEL 3.
If they did that I think I would seriously consider updating.

I hope Tesla avoids constant 'facelifts' on their cars. A lot of traditional car manufacturers do this all the time, and it is pure marketing nonsense. - Once you've got a beautiful looking car like the S, just leave it alone.

Reactions: raynewman
Given that Tesla are introducing permanent magnet motors in the Model S and Model X that will improve efficiency, and if they redo the pack with 2170 cells, lighten the vehicle, the sum of these improvements could gain how much in range?
~5% for the motor and maybe 3% for the weight for a total of 8%. But... The redo to 2170 is a huge job. The whole battery pack which forms the frame of the car would be different dimensions, it is a full retool. 2170 or whatever the next gen cell is will only come with a full redesign of the S and that will not be this or next year.

I hope Tesla avoids constant 'facelifts' on their cars. A lot of traditional car manufacturers do this all the time, and it is pure marketing nonsense. - Once you've got a beautiful looking car like the S, just leave it alone.

I love the front of my S I agree, leave it alone. But it could do with an arselift!

I hope they take advantage of the more dense batteries to make the car lighter and more nimble like MODEL 3.

If you would like a car more like a Model 3, can I suggest, the Model 3? :p

Ok so I'm being cheeky, sorry, but the S and 3 should not be seen as direct competitors for one another. Having two products to cater to people with different needs is ok. For the "family cruiser" and "luxury people mover" markets the S just does fine. If I didn't have kids, I'd probably be looking at a 3 myself.

From Electrek's article:
Furthermore, Tesla will be offering existing free Ludicrous Mode upgrade (worth $20,000) to any existing Model S and Model X owners willing to upgrade to a new Model S or Model X with all those new changes.
I read the article, it seems you have to buy the performance model to get the ludicrous upgrade free.
That's worth $9300AUD + LCT, so about $13,000AUD.
Pretty good deal if you were going for the perf model. Almost makes it better value than the long range, because you'd be upping your resale considerably with ludicrous enabled.

Reactions: Tension
I read the article, it seems you have to buy the performance model to get the ludicrous upgrade free.
That's worth $9300AUD + LCT, so about $13,000AUD.
Pretty good deal if you were going for the perf model. Almost makes it better value than the long range, because you'd be upping your resale considerably with ludicrous enabled.
Probably getting what you spend back. But actually having a car that is without a doubt the fastest car off the lights bar none is a once in a lifetime experience :)

• Love
Reactions: Fantomsss
Nothing beats the S off the lights to 60, 70 or 80kmh. Which in the suburban traffic light sprint is all that matters. To 100kmh the Porche 918 Spyder does only just get the S but a bit of luck is involved, the S is very repeatable. In a quarter mile, the S is kinda middle of the road :p ok about 5th or 6th including no doubt a Mclaren or 2.

• Informative
Reactions: Tension