TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S and X refresh poll Australia and New Zealand.

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Blue heaven, Apr 6, 2019.

?

what type of refresh would you like.

1. No refresh for X or S in 2019

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. Leave the exterior alone, upgrade internals

23 vote(s)
    62.2%
  3. 115kwh pack on both cars

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. 125kwh pack on model X

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  5. 135kwh pack on Model X

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Fair Dinkum Tesla

This poll is open to everyone, plenty of discussion welcome.
    Personally I think the exterior of both cars is hard to improve so I would rather just see the internals upgraded (not the touchscreen or dashboard layout ).
    The model S has plenty of range but the X could have a bigger battery option for those that want to tow longer distances.
    two poll choice options are available.

2. Icey

Icey Member

As a existing X owner all I want to see is a battery replacement option. Update my 75 to a 135 would be glorious!

• Like x 1
  3. nigwil

nigwil Member

Given that Tesla are introducing permanent magnet motors in the Model S and Model X that will improve efficiency, and if they redo the pack with 2170 cells, lighten the vehicle, the sum of these improvements could gain how much in range?

4. Fantomsss

Fantomsss Member

I’d love a pack upgrade capability in few years for my 75D. It is plenty fast already. 150kwh battery at same weight would be glorious at some point.

5. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Although I voted for the second option I would be happy to see a restyle by Franz in the near future.
    I think Model S will struggle in the marketplace without an updated look soon as it is now a mainstream choice.
    Bring on additional hardware to make it smarter and the interface faster and better, but I don’t think I would need any more range than what is provided by a 100 KWh battery. I hope they take advantage of the more dense batteries to make the car lighter and more nimble like MODEL 3.
    If they did that I think I would seriously consider updating.

6. aegidius

aegidius Member

I'd like a HW3 upgrade, actually.

7. karl h

karl h New Member

I hope Tesla avoids constant 'facelifts' on their cars. A lot of traditional car manufacturers do this all the time, and it is pure marketing nonsense. - Once you've got a beautiful looking car like the S, just leave it alone.

• Like x 1
  8. Munka

Munka Member

~5% for the motor and maybe 3% for the weight for a total of 8%. But... The redo to 2170 is a huge job. The whole battery pack which forms the frame of the car would be different dimensions, it is a full retool. 2170 or whatever the next gen cell is will only come with a full redesign of the S and that will not be this or next year.

I love the front of my S I agree, leave it alone. But it could do with an arselift!

If you would like a car more like a Model 3, can I suggest, the Model 3? :p

Ok so I'm being cheeky, sorry, but the S and 3 should not be seen as direct competitors for one another. Having two products to cater to people with different needs is ok. For the "family cruiser" and "luxury people mover" markets the S just does fine. If I didn't have kids, I'd probably be looking at a 3 myself.

9. aegidius

aegidius Member

AFAIK they've only ever done one facelift on the S, in 2016.