Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S and X to get 4680 batteries. I told my wife my Plaid won't be my last car and this is one of those reasons.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DelPhonic1

Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Burbank
Per Troy Teslike today: "They still use 18650 cells for Model S/X. Model S/X are expected to switch to 4680 cells"

We thought all models would eventually go 4680 at some point, but this is the first specific mention of S/X that I've seen.
Hopefully in about 2 years that would work for me. I'll grab the Cybertruck from my early order than lay in wait for the 4680 Model X. We'll see how the timing works out.

Many people were hoping Texas 4680 Model Y cars would give them more range but it turns out it has only 279 miles (down from 330 miles with older 2170 cells).

Our hope may not align with Tesla's implementation.
Yeah, the type of cells don't determine the range, but the kwh stored. You can monkey with little details like having the heat either resistance or heat pump, but 4680 cells don't mean much, except the promise of a cheaper battery. I suspect they could up the range easily, but it must have something to do with the shape and size of where the battery has to go. With the S and X, there's a lot of floor space/ battery space. Not so much with the Y and 3.

Yeah, the type of cells don't determine the range, but the kwh stored. You can monkey with little details like having the heat either resistance or heat pump, but 4680 cells don't mean much, except the promise of a cheaper battery. I suspect they could up the range easily, but it must have something to do with the shape and size of where the battery has to go. With the S and X, there's a lot of floor space/ battery space. Not so much with the Y and 3.
I think they're sandbagging the Austin Y numbers and even possibly artificially ramping down the capacity to match the other models. It's range and charge speed at this point I believe they are holding back. As to range, what I am hoping is that the competition will finally change Elons mind, since his most loyal clients voicing their needs won't. All of these cars that go more than 400 miles on a fill up have to be working on him.

...As to range, what I am hoping is that the competition will finally change Elons mind, since his most loyal clients voicing their needs won't...
I've been with Tesla because of the range with a reasonable price comparing to others.

Now BMW is testing its 600 mile car:

CATL is also coming out with 620 mile battery:

If the price is right, I'll jump ship!

Reactions: DelPhonic1
I think they're sandbagging the Austin Y numbers and even possibly artificially ramping down the capacity to match the other models. It's range and charge speed at this point I believe they are holding back. As to range, what I am hoping is that the competition will finally change Elons mind, since his most loyal clients voicing their needs won't. All of these cars that go more than 400 miles on a fill up have to be working on him.
I was thinking the same thing. No reason to cannibalize their sales.

Reactions: DelPhonic1