Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S and X unlock using phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 is shipping with no fob. They are providing an RFID card instead. Most people will just use their phone, which when paired with the app, unlocks the vehicle as you approach. Does anyone know if this will be possible with existing S and X models? I obviously can unlock the car using the app, but it requires opening the app and pressing the unlock button. It seems the Model 3 will do this passively. I read that it involves Bluetooth communication. I wouldn’t mind having one less item to carry with me. My main concern about leaving the fob behind currently is any issues with connectivity. It currently involves the cellular connection to the car rather than local Bluetooth.

Not possible today, but a future update might enable it.

I'd be cautious about relying that feature though. With the TM3 you'll be able to carry the card in your wallet, as a backup. What happens if you leave the fob at home, and the app doesn't work in a dead spot? That's been known to strand people, because the current software always goes through Tesla servers. The communication path is phone -> server -> car, not phone-to-car.

So far I'm not clear on how the TM3 app will work. I suspect it's also phone -> server -> car, not phone-to-car. There may be good security-related reasons to do it that way.

It's not. The M3 phone unlock has the owner register th phone with the car while using the RFID card. Then the car looks for an "approved" phone in range via Bluetooth. If it sees it, it unlocks the car and then allows you to start it. As you walk away and it loses comms with th phone via Bluetooth, it locks th car. Detailed write up on elektrek

Not possible today, but a future update might enable it.

I'd be cautious about relying that feature though. With the TM3 you'll be able to carry the card in your wallet, as a backup. What happens if you leave the fob at home, and the app doesn't work in a dead spot? That's been known to strand people, because the current software always goes through Tesla servers. The communication path is phone -> server -> car, not phone-to-car.

So far I'm not clear on how the TM3 app will work. I suspect it's also phone -> server -> car, not phone-to-car. There may be good security-related reasons to do it that way.

Nope its phone-car. Sever->car depends on a strong enough LTE signal which is not always feasible. Could you imagine a car that could not be driven because there was no internet service?

Model S is surely capable of this. The bluetooth receiver has quite the bit of range, im sure in a future update we might get the option.