Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S annual maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least with regards to my driving style, regenerative braking tends to "brake" far more aggressive than I would if I were manually applying the brakes.

That's actually high for the Roadster AD07 rear tires (I assume that's what he has). Most people get 5-8 thousand miles on the rears and driving style does play a big role but they are very soft tires and will wear quickly with normal driving as well. The fronts on the Roadster probably last 3 times as long. I'd expect something similar for the Model S but not as bad, maybe over 10,000 for the 21" wheels and much more for the 19" wheels.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this topic for me because I'm getting a little confused.
How is it that regenerative braking is adding extra wear to the tire? Is this a myth of some sort?
I always thought regen braking was gradually applying friction and converting to energy process that would ease the car to a slower speed. Unless the regen braking was so aggressive that it causes the tires to squeal to a slower speed it doesn't seem like regen braking should cause extra tire wear. Performance tires wear extra quick. All season tires do not.

Ah, with the motor in the rear, only the rear tires are used for regen. With friction brakes, the front tires end up taking most of the force of braking. The Roadster also has quite a rear weight bias, and will consistently scrub the inside rear tire if accelerating around a corner - especially on the passenger side. My tire life hasn't been dramatically different than the 911's, but I could see that those used to sedans might be surprised about the rears wearing noticeably quicker than the fronts. I'm really pushing my second set of tires to have the rears make my third yearly service (at about 12k miles).

And yeah, I do use regen a lot more than I used engine braking with the 911 - with the Roadster I use it down to a near stop. I'll take the quicker tire replacement in trade for the better drivin characteristics, especially in traffic, thank you.

Edmunds TCO shows the total cost of maintenance over 5 years for a BMW 5 series sedan as $3500. 5 years of Model S at $600 is on part with that. The Model S is a regular amount every year, the BMW is heavily back loaded to the last 2 years.

That would equate to 540 Euro each year for the BMW. I don't know about BMW's service pricing policy in the US, but that sounds horrendously expensive. As I said, I have to pay around 350 Euro for three years (ok, I only drive about 10,000 to 15,000 km a year), but that includes everything for the regular service intervals (oil, brakes, fluids, check-up, etc.). And as I said, my car is eight years old, so I would guess that newer BMWs should require even less maintenance.

By the way I didn't take tires into the equation because like someone else said, these would wear on any car. That said, most cars in Germany have 14 to 18 inch tires, with 15 to 17 inch being the standard, depending on the size of the vehicle. 19 inch like the Model S standard are already a rarity, and I have never seen any car with 21 inch tires, except SUVs perhaps. Even in the luxury sedan market here, 21 inch is the exception, definitely not the norm. Therefore 19 inch tires are not as easy to come by here as in the US, let alone 21 inch. Especially winter tyres. But ok, perhaps the European version of Model S will come with smaller tires, who knows. We will see.

Unlike the Roadster, the Model S has the same wheels front and rear. Proper rotation will keep wear balanced.

I currently have a FWD vehicle, so I blow through the fronts. I only rotate them once before they wear out at oil change time (10k miles). I don't think I will take my car in that often to only get my tires rotated. I guess I'll just buy them 2 at a time.

I get mine on ebay for all of our vehicles for about $8 shipped, way cheaper than the guy at Jiffy Lube trying to sell you one for $39 because there are a few leaves in it...
Lol yeah I hate that, and they bring it to you with that worried look on their face as if not changing the filter immediately will cause the car to explode.

I don't understand the whole thing with annual maintenance? My pedestrian cars require $25 oil changes two to three times a year @ 12k average miles per year. If I hit 30,000 miles, I might decide to bring the sucker in for maintenance but usually don't. I'm at 60K on my Civic and will soon take it in for its first actual maintenance work, which will cost me roughly $500, maybe $800 when they surprise me with something. But doing this every year seems ridiculous.

Do luxury cars have luxury components, or is the only reason service costs more because the owner has more money to dispose of? Other than looks, what value is there in the vehicle if it introduces greater yearly costs to the buyer?

What happened to 'all you need to do is replace the wipers' ?

Last edited:
Do luxury cars have luxury components, or is the only reason service costs more because the owner has more money to dispose of? Other than looks, what value is there in the vehicle if it introduces greater yearly costs to the buyer?

What happened to 'all you need to do is replace the wipers' ?

I agree. I watched my father-in-law get hammered by the Lexus dealer for some obscure part for his LS to the tune of $800. With the inflated cost of maintenance and parts plus the cost of premium gasoline I pretty much had decided to never buy a luxury car. But Model S and now Model X changed all that for me.

Someone at the Priuschat.com forum said he asked about maintenance on the Model S and was told it would also be $600/yr and that they justify part of that higher cost by pulling the battery pack and manually checking each connection and testing it.

That's ludicrous and almost certainly just plain wrong. There's no way they're dropping the pack out to manually check the connections. The Roadster pack has switchable bleed resistors so they can check each string. The Model S pack will NOT have inferior diagnostics to the Roadster.

It would of course also preclude any possibility of Ranger service.

There is probably a book that specifically lists how long each job should take. I would assume that they would have to stick to those repair times regardless of the actual time/complexity it would take. I remember reading that $125/hr rate on the bottom of an invoice I got from Tesla after a service, it seemed high since comparable manufacturers charge in the $95 range. I think Ferrari charges close to the $125 figure.

Here in California my Toyota dealer charges $150/hr and my VW dealer $130. Tesla at $125 is a bargain.

Remember - it's still a car. For safety reasons they still need to inspect the suspension, brakes, alignment, etc. Rotate tires. Lubricate something. Read and check controller codes. Make sure AC is not leaking. There are probably 50+ items on the "inspect" list.
On top of that, I'm sure we are subsidizing their data collection that they will use to improve firmware and future cars. That's just part of being first.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this topic for me because I'm getting a little confused.
How is it that regenerative braking is adding extra wear to the tire? Is this a myth of some sort?
I always thought regen braking was gradually applying friction and converting to energy process that would ease the car to a slower speed. Unless the regen braking was so aggressive that it causes the tires to squeal to a slower speed it doesn't seem like regen braking should cause extra tire wear. Performance tires wear extra quick. All season tires do not.

I think this is exactly the point - summer performance tires on RWD cars wear quickly. I have a Honda S2000 and the rears were near bald at 15K miles. I'm not a hard driver. Others using the same OEM tires report similar replacement issues. It is the price of super-sticky tires.