Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Annual Service Checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to purchase my service plan soon according to the dashboard and I'm still confused on what to do....

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

...er...

Skip the service plans (that do give you a discount on each "annual" visit but lock you into using all 4 vouchers within a 4-year period). You can get the rather-minimal annual service done less frequently. I got my first one done at 14 months (for $600) but, plan to space them out even further going forward given what was actually done (no real battery checkup/report and that was disappointing). Get the ESA (extended warranty) for years 4-8 for sure; but, you can wait on this till the first 4 years are up (or if a price increase is in the offing).

I have to purchase my service plan soon according to the dashboard and I'm still confused on what to do....

- Want peace of mind that you don't have to cough up $600 annually? Yes: get service plan
- Want to make sure you will have Ranger visits--particularly on road trips? Yes: get service plan with Ranger service
- *Want the least cost? Yes, get service plan, without Ranger service
- Would rather pay as you go? No, don't get service plan

*Assumes you never need more than just annual maintenance or warranty work.

- *Want the least cost? Yes, get service plan, without Ranger service
*Assumes you never need more than just annual maintenance or warranty work.
That seems to contradict what others are saying. Sounds like it is much cheaper to NOT get the service plan and do your "annual" service only every 1.5 to 2 years.

Tesla brags about how their vehicles require very little service, but they charge as if they require a lot. As the warranty doesn't depend on it, it seems quite reasonable to get it checked less often and save the money. That said, your other reasons are good. If you are going to be getting service done every year, or figure you'll need the ranger service, then there is certainly good peace of mind in having the plan.

That seems to contradict what others are saying. Sounds like it is much cheaper to NOT get the service plan and do your "annual" service only every 1.5 to 2 years.

The thought was that if you have the maintenance plan without Ranger service, you get a discount as you're going to be taking it in once a year anyway and you'll take your chances that the car won't require service on a road trip (unless it's a garage queen that you hardly ever drive, which doesn't match most owners' usage--most drive more than previously) .

As for what Tesla charges, I would have loved to pay $600/year instead of $4400/year for that POS VW TDI. Tesla sure didn't make any money on me when they flew the Ranger out to replace a failed charger.

...as you're going to be taking it in once a year anyway...

This is where I've to disagree with you, Jerry; this car shouldn't and doesn't need an annual visit.

I'm still of the opinion that if folks choose to prepay for the 4 or 8 service visits (thus getting a discount over the pay-as-you-go $600 per), let them use those vouchers whenever they want. Why lock them into the 4/8 year windows and practically compel them to use them on a 12-month basis?!

This is where I've to disagree with you, Jerry; this car shouldn't and doesn't need an annual visit.

We can agree to disagree on this one. No biggie.

I'm still of the opinion that if folks choose to prepay for the 4 or 8 service visits (thus getting a discount over the pay-as-you-go $600 per), let them use those vouchers whenever they want. Why lock them into the 4/8 year windows and practically compel them to use them on a 12-month basis?!

I'd agree with that if we're talking about cars with low annual mileage (less than 15K).

I'm going to go in once a year at least just to get TSBs and the courtesy inspection, not mention hardware upgrades on pieces like the back appliqué where condensation was getting in peoples taillights. If you are only going in every 2 years it probably would be cheaper pay as you go. But I'm high maintenance :)

I thought Ranger visits were for people who lived far from service stations. Isn't Road Side assistance for road trips?

Roadside assistance is for things like flat tires or getting a tow. If there is a problem that needs to be fixed, it's Ranger time. I actually had this happen. Didn't need roadside assistance, but did need the Ranger.

Roadside assistance is for things like flat tires or getting a tow. If there is a problem that needs to be fixed, it's Ranger time. I actually had this happen. Didn't need roadside assistance, but did need the Ranger.

Isn't ranger service just $100 if you didn't get the service plan? For the rare chance I need ranger service and can't get AAA or tesla to tow it to a service center, I'd rather just save the money not buying the plan.

I have no plan to bring my car in specifically for annual service. Warranty does not require it, I can change a wiper blade, I can rotate tires, I can change brake pads if I need to (not likely), no air suspension to calibrate... I have been in for a couple warranty issues and they apply any TSBs. I've always done my own oil changes, I still plan to maintain my car myself, and one of the selling points on the web site is the minimal maintenance.
Change a fob battery? Lots of things use CR2032 today so I keep some on hand, like for my chromatic tuner. You can get 20 of them for less than $6 (w/shipping).

I will not be doing my own 4 wheel alignment though. That seems to be the biggest thing on the list, but I don't think $600 worth.

Oh ya, the first tire rotation is complementary in case anybody did not know.

Isn't ranger service just $100 if you didn't get the service plan? For the rare chance I need ranger service and can't get AAA or tesla to tow it to a service center, I'd rather just save the money not buying the plan.

Please call Tesla and not AAA. I had an issue and called Tesla. They do not use AAA. I spent some time talking with the driver and although some AAA people might be careful and have an idea of how to deal with the Tesla, most do not. There are only a few carriers that Tesla authorizes. The guy who picked up my car had special training/orientation and had straps for tying the car down that are custom for the Tesla. I would strongly recommend that you call Tesla and use their carrier.

At this point, we're talking about value and worth. Clearly a lot of people wonder if $600 a year is worth it. With the bulk pricing, is $475 worth it? Everyone keeps referring to the $600 price, but since we can buy in packs of 4, is $475 worth it to people?

The service contract appears to be priced similar to an ICE vehicle. For example a Mercedes Benz CLS5550 (data from Mercedes USA website).

Mercedes CLS550
Years - 4
Milage - 40,000
Price - $1,899 (Negotiable)

Telsa Model S
Years - 4
Milage - 50,000
Price - $,1,900

I realize the mileage is higher on the Tesla, but the cost seems high for the Tesla based on Tesla claim of a low maintenance vehicle.

Yes, it's $100 per Ranger visit. With the prepaid plan it's unlimited Ranger visits.

Great. I go 14 months on the original key fob battery with no issues. Then, service replaces the battery as part of the annual service and just a month later, this:

ryhe9e9e.jpg