TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model S AP 1.0 Delivery Scheduled: Are you/should we cancel?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by arosenbe, Oct 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. arosenbe

    arosenbe Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2016
    Messages:
    33
    Location:
    CT and FL
    My delivery is scheduled for this coming Saturday of a Model S w/ AP 1.0. For any of you scheduled for delivery, are you planning on cancelling? Will Telsa apply at least some of the $2500 deposit toward a new order? Please share any information you get from your DS, mine hasn't responded yet in terms of options....
     
  2. Dan1

    Dan1 Member

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2016
    Messages:
    32
    Location:
    Palm Bay, FL
    Per the Tesla agreement canceling the order will cost you the deposit. In my humble opinion, canceling the order and losing the deposit is much easier to swallow than taking delivery of a now old version AP car with depreciation hit much greater than the deposit since the car will not have AP 2.0. If I were in your position, I would cancel and reorder with the desired options. Good luck with your decision! It's an awesome car either way.
     
    • Like x 1
  3. davidc18

    davidc18 Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2015
    Messages:
    1,195
    Location:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I would cancel in a heartbeat. You will save way more than the deposit in depreciation if you have the new AP suite.
     
    • Like x 2
  4. zer0cool

    zer0cool Member

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2015
    Messages:
    361
    Location:
    charlotte, nc
    If the concern is depreciation, you have to ask if it ll really be as large as people are thinking now... Dunno what your car's price is but let's assume 100k. After tax benefits it's 92.5k. Let's assume 10k depreciation per year, so after 3 years it ll be 62.5k. Do you really think that different AP would cause your resale to be 7.5k different from the same car produced today? This is because new AP is actually more expensive and you ll also have to pay the 2.5k. Tesla is not stupid and doesn't want to screw up all their ongoing leases that they will need to resell 2 or 3 years down the line. The software that ll power automated driving is likely still years down the line, regardless of Elon's optimism.

    Also maybe you have a 60D just right about 80k. In that case I don't think I would cancel. You are basically going to tag on 10% cost of the car by cancelling and getting the new AP. 3 years down the line, the 60D will likely sell in the upper 40's. At that range, the extra 5k for AP is a huge deal. I doubt people will actually get their cost back on resale. How much do you think will be the difference between the price of similar 60D's 3 years down the line one with AP1 and one with AP2 all else equal? I don't think it ll be a 7.5k difference.
     
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Swissmoneychf

    Swissmoneychf Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2016
    Messages:
    73
    Location:
    Swizerland
    Mine didn't enter in production yet 'cause I asked to be delivered in february, if I was in your situation, I am far from "rich" but I would of course cancel my order and wait some extra months to get the latest hardware.
     
    • Like x 1
  6. joer00

    joer00 Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2013
    Messages:
    321
    Location:
    Tampa
    I would also cancel in a heartbeat ! What is 2.5k for getting fully autonomous driving ? I agree that this is further away then many people might, BUT also sooner than many skeptics think. Even conservative BMW promised a fully autonomous car bei 2021. I think Tesla is smarter, way ahead of competition, use a different approach and getting massive data from their fleet. I predict they will have this beta in 2018 and working in 2019.

    I think we current owners will take once again a huge hit :( But we all knew that right ?
     
    • Like x 1
  7. davidc18

    davidc18 Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2015
    Messages:
    1,195
    Location:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I should have said that as a big AP user, I would cancel in order to get the new hardware. I hope the new depreciation curve is not as steep as I think it will be for AP 1.0 cars. In general, I believe that you will have a better Tesla experience with the new hardware. They will be updating it for years and making it better. To me, there is really no reason to keep your current order with its outdated hardware.
     
  8. No2DinosaurFuel

    No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2015
    Messages:
    1,061
    Location:
    San Diego, California
    It is $7.5K because the new car with full autonomous feature will cost an extra $5K plus the $2.5K they are losing.
     
  9. TrevTremaine

    TrevTremaine Member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2016
    Messages:
    258
    Location:
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    I agree. In the next year or so with the Model 3 coming out with the same technology it may actually work more in your favor to cancel and re-order. Price out the changes and see if it still works for you financially. At most you're looking at 2-3 months for a new delivery. I'm very happy with mine, but I am going to look about a trade-in and see how far a stretch it is. Mine's a lease on a 4 month old car, so that also plays a factor and makes it a bit less compelling.
     
    • Like x 1
  10. Dan43

    Dan43 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2013
    Messages:
    400
    Location:
    UK
    Tesla Vision/AP2.0 fees like a long commitment to the tech so should outlast regular 3 year lease and beyond, where AP1.0 has had 2 years I think at the top.
    I've been waiting to buy new, this new hardware is now tempting me in at base 60D level, then add full AP2.0 all together in 12-18 months with the cost added to the loan at that point.
    I would thus consider taking the hit and change
     
    • Like x 2
  11. Chopr147

    Chopr147 Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2016
    Messages:
    1,596
    Location:
    Wantagh, NY
    $2500? Sure cancel why not? Your wealthy right? You are asking because money means something to you. Not an easy decision but personally I would stick with the order. but, I am looking at it in a 60D way. My sticker was $77,700 and crunching numbers it makes no sense to cancel. AP 2.0 isn't any good for at least 2 years and probably longer. OK Maybe it's better at keeping the lane and blind spot etc....... but we don't know. What we do know if full autonomy is years away.
     
  12. Dynastar

    Dynastar Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2015
    Messages:
    283
    Location:
    Billings, MT
    If I paid full price I would cancel in a heartbeat. We got a showroom discount so I'm much more on the fence. I think in my case accepting delivery and then either buying a new one in early 2017 or waiting for the model 3 is probably the way to go but who can say for sure.
     
    • Like x 1
  13. necho

    necho Member

    Joined:
    May 29, 2009
    Messages:
    96
    Location:
    Switzerland
    Have you checked if your car has not already installed AP2? Maybe they have started to implement the HW a bit earlier to avoid all the cancelation ...
     
  14. HEIDELCEDRIC

    HEIDELCEDRIC Maximum Plaid Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2016
    Messages:
    22
    Location:
    El Paso, TX, USA
    It could be possible, but according to the press release, cars that were in production as of yesterday, would get it, so if it was still in production it most likely would have gotten it. Being that the delivery is scheduled for Saturday, it's more likely that it was already finished as of yesterday, sitting in a lot waiting to be shipped.
     
    • Like x 1

Share This Page