Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S AP1 Getting Worse!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a late 2016 Model S AP1 that is current on software updates. I have noticed that AP1 is getting worse on the same commutes I have used AP1 on. What I mean by worse is confusion staying centered in the lane and lane visibility. It is starting to feel like the Disneyland ride Autopia where the Model S is "bouncing" between the current lane. I am starting to not "trust" AP1.

just wrote this in another post complaining about AP-2...I just completed a 6000 mile epic road trip in my Model X with AP-1 and it worked flawlessly. I used auto pilot for at least 90% of the ride and it was a dream! of course i was paying attention and monitoring it, but I needed to do very little.

Reactions: X Fan
I have a late 2016 Model S AP1 that is current on software updates. I have noticed that AP1 is getting worse on the same commutes I have used AP1 on. What I mean by worse is confusion staying centered in the lane and lane visibility. It is starting to feel like the Disneyland ride Autopia where the Model S is "bouncing" between the current lane. I am starting to not "trust" AP1.
Maybe something is blurring/dimming/distorting the camera inputs? Try cleaning them.

I disagree completely with the OP... My car is able to handle routes and curves it simply couldn't when AP1 launched. I can't think of an update the regressed anything except for the very recent one which incorrectly classified part of a freeway I take as a local road thus limiting autosteer to +5. I have reported that to Tesla though so we'll see if they do anything about it... Otherwise, AP1 has only been getting better since launch.

Jeff

I've found .28 to be about the same as earlier releases on expressways where it is meant to be used, but it really does bounce around on secondary roads, particularly where there are tree shadows. On the plus side AP1 is no longer restricting two-lane roads to +5 on my car, at least during the last two days. Traffic data has also stopped appearing on the Google map. I would reboot the car except I'm afraid that would restore +5 speed limiting, which has probably failed on my car due to a transient bug.

OH MY GOD! I was about to post the exact same issue. I have however NOT updated to the very latest firmware, because the first days I read it had a negative impact on AP1 cars from the first observations. So I am still running on the firmware just before that one, and my AP1 has DEFINITELY gotten worse. I have the same 100 mile commute every single day, and before there were like 2 spots where I knew these are critical and I might have to intervene, now the car is all over the place!!! It loses the lines constantly and doesn't know whether to stay on the left or right or the center of the lane. It's so frustrating! I reset everything and cleaned my car just to be sure but it doesn't seem to get better. I am really afraid of what is going on. I lost a bit of trust now in my AP1 :(

• Informative
Reactions: JohnnyG and u00mem9
I don't think y'all are off base on this one. I have a July 2016 S90D with AP1. Something went really weird on 17.24.28, and then got worse on 17.24.30. On 405N through downtown Bellevue, a highway that I almost always kick on Autopilot, the car started pulling to the far left side of the toll lane. The road layout of the screen looked good. The left wheels were on the left yellow line. This is a road that I have never had any issues with Autopilot on. I noticed that my car pulled down 17.26.17. Will give it another shot in a couple of days.

Reactions: kgroschi