Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S AP1 Getting Worse!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree as well. I use the heck out of AP1 and it's wayyyyy better now than it was before. Stays centere much better, doesn't wander into turning lanes anymore nearly as much....it's basically fully functional for highway driving. Loving every minute. Have an update tonight, hope that doesn't change :)

Well you can disagree with your particular car and case. You can't disagree with me when I say my car is suddenly wandering all over the lane trying to finde the markings etc.

Well you can disagree with your particular car and case. You can't disagree with me when I say my car is suddenly wandering all over the lane trying to finde the markings etc.

On my 17.26.17 test drive, I did notice that engaging AP on a local road, the car did wander a bit to each lane edge before behaving "normally". This was on a road type that the directions say not to use AP on. On the highway and freeway, AP works just fine again. I had not experienced this behavior even on this local road pre 17.24.x.

From here on out, I will be cautious engaging AP shortly after a firmware update.

I disagree completely with the OP... My car is able to handle routes and curves it simply couldn't when AP1 launched. I can't think of an update the regressed anything except for the very recent one which incorrectly classified part of a freeway I take as a local road thus limiting autosteer to +5. I have reported that to Tesla though so we'll see if they do anything about it... Otherwise, AP1 has only been getting better since launch.

Jeff
The highways I take to work were reclassed as +5mph roads with the software update but 2 days ago they reverted back to normal up to 90mph roads. I tweeted Elon and I like to think that he listened and responded :)

I have a late 2016 Model S AP1 that is current on software updates. I have noticed that AP1 is getting worse on the same commutes I have used AP1 on. What I mean by worse is confusion staying centered in the lane and lane visibility. It is starting to feel like the Disneyland ride Autopia where the Model S is "bouncing" between the current lane. I am starting to not "trust" AP1.

Try to reboot both computers if you haven't. When I get an update and I notice AP is a little off that tends to fix it. Might be calibration related, etc.

Why is it so hard to believe their efforts to implement AP2 hardware have resulted in different strategies...and there are obvious reasons to use the same software strategy for all cars going forward.

They ARE making autopilot worse for AP1 cars by optimizing the software for inferior inputs (AP2 hardware thrown in with little dev time, vs mature mobileye path planning, etc.)

Update at your own risk. I use autopilot an average of 80 miles a day including 50% two lane roads. If an update took away my ability to do that, I wouldn't be logging a voice memo to Tesla, I'd be calling a lawyer.

I think people need to be a little careful about coming to conclusions so quickly as to whether a SW update improves or hurts AP performance.

The reason is supposedly an AP update can clear out cache'd AP tiles. So obviously it's going to perform worse right after an update.

I really wish AP would give the user more control over the stored tiles. Where it would at least let me know if it's using one.

I think people need to be a little careful about coming to conclusions so quickly as to whether a SW update improves or hurts AP performance.

The reason is supposedly an AP update can clear out cache'd AP tiles. So obviously it's going to perform worse right after an update.

I really wish AP would give the user more control over the stored tiles. Where it would at least let me know if it's using one.

I like this, it seems very plausible to me. Thanks for the thought!

While I had some issues with 17.24.28 and AP1 (wobbly in the lane), I have to admit that 17.26.17 improved AP1 a lot.

It stays more confident in the middle of the lane, even on most (not all) curves. I only had one issue where it actually lost both lane markings, even though they were clearly visible and actually drifted over the lane to the right of me. I had to intervene there. But other than that little incident, it is clearly improved and a lot smoother on AP1.

I also noticed that breaking when stopped cars ahead starts earlier now and is a little bit smoother than before. Not where I would like it, but still greatly improved. Also lane changing is a lot better now, not as abrupt, more like I would do it when driving myself.

Good job Tesla!

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
So I upgraded to AP1 17.26.17 (from 17.24.28 which was awesome and I had no complaints) and after driving around today my car likes to SLAM on the brakes on the freeway for no reason while in AP mode.

What I found is it's doing this while going on the freeway and then it thinks the speed limit changes to the road beneath it (while on a overpass, etc) and the speed limit will flash from 65mph to 35mph or something else quickly and WHAM!!

The car hits its brakes and then once on the other side of the overpass on the freeway it thinks 65mph again and speeds back up!!

NOT COOL!! :eek:

But I like the faster lane changes and camera/traffic detection!! :p

17.24.28 here. No issues. Have a new update scheduled for tonight.
Me too. I drove on a two lane road with a severe crosswind today on .28 with absolutely no wander. My hand could feel AP fighting the wind, but you couldn't see wheel movement. AP seems to have gotten a lot smoother lately. The car braked for a sudden stop three cars ahead before the car directly in front of me.

I had an overnight test drive in an AP2 MX and I too occurred several issues: bouncing within the lanes, slamming on brakes ( 5 fwy to 10 interchange), and even trying to slam me into the median.

The common thread I see is they are all LA / OC County Drivers. AP probably just got fed up with So. California drivers and said screw it.. I'll drive like the locals! P.S. Yes, I had my test drive in So. Cal and I don't "Trust" AP at all especially with kids in the car.

I did my usual 36 miles commute today after getting a new update - 17.26.17 - yesterday. Rock solid as ever. I will post a video of maneuvering with ease at 50 mph on a back road that has bots (no lines) with nice fairly sharp curves. My S used to struggle here when AP1 was introduced initially but gradually got better, and now it goes on rails

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV and u00mem9
I disagree as well. I use the heck out of AP1 and it's wayyyyy better now than it was before. Stays centere much better, doesn't wander into turning lanes anymore nearly as much....it's basically fully functional for highway driving. Loving every minute. Have an update tonight, hope that doesn't change :)
One of the recent t updates it made lane changes on the highway SO much smoother. While before it used to be a bit binary and jerk in or out of the lane, now it's human-like and gradual.

I am most pleased to say that AP1 is back in action! Got the newest 17.26.17 and it seems to have greatly improved AP. I think it's actually the best it's ever been. Of course we do have that breaking issue, but I'll take that over the other problems!

Have driven it for a few days now including a 200 plus mile trip I do out to the coast a couple times a week. I've made that trip for ten years, dozens in the Tesla. It's a joy to drive out there with auto pilot now!