Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S AP2 Radar Detector Mirror Wiring

Okay, I've seen some threads alluding to, but not specifically referring to wiring a radar detector to the autodim mirror in a Model S AP2.0 (or 2.5).

So, I did this, and am posting this thread for all to follow.

The autodim mirror appears to have both +12V and +12V_accessory on the connector. It should be usable for both radar detectors and cameras, though I would personally still use the microphone connector for cameras.

As for the mirror connector, here are the part numbers needed:

Sumitomo Wiring Systems

Female Housing
6098-3810 - 5pos

Socket
8100-3624 - 22AWG

Male Housing
6098-3802 - 5pos

Pin
8100-3622 - 22AWG

There is tooling required to use these connectors. I happen to have that tooling collected over the years due to my engineering degree, but it's somewhat commonly available. I also used an RJ-11 phone tap I had laying around.

Here is my prototype installation. In my next iteration, I'll use an inline fuse for the Radar detector, but this was a proof-of-concept based on the connectors and some wire I had on hand. It works wonderfully.

R3 Mirror Tap 1.jpg
R3 Mirror Tap 2.jpg

Reactions: DanInSunnyFL

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC