Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S as a "collector's car"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not going to waste my time watching, but will say "collector cars" are still a massive waste of money unless you are the paid restorer.
People think a $300K Yenko Camaro is some amazing investment BUT the same money at average market returns would be worth a lot more today.

Cars are a waste of money, period, the exceptions are just that exceptions and if everyone sees it as an opportunity too many will be preserved to ever pan out.

I know that is not the point of posting this article but the idea of cars being valuable or investments has always been a sore spot with me.

That said everyone should have things and hobbies they enjoy in life, having a nice fast large car is how I choose to waste me money, some folks waste it on smoking or booze, or professional sports, or a big fishing boat etc.

Reactions: mspohr
Though I agree with his assessment of the S as a future collector's car. I don't agree with his assessment of Tesla. They can lower cash burn at any time without critically risking sales.

Rare-car collectors should buy a Tesla Model S 'while they're still available,' Bob Lutz says
I agree that the Model S is a fantastic car that will have a following for a long time. However, I think they have made too many of them for it to be a rare collector's car. If you are expecting appreciation on a rare Tesla, I think you will be disappointed.
Also, Bob Lutz still can't figure out the difference between investing in the future and incremental costs. Tesla makes a good 25% or so margin on every car. The company as a whole loses money because they are investing in new factories and models. They could stop that and instantly become profitable in the short term at the expense of long term viability. For a supposedly smart auto executive, I assume he understands this but must have some other agenda to be saying such stupid things. People keep giving money to Tesla because they see Tesla investing in the future. They'll stop if there is no future.

Not going to waste my time watching, but will say "collector cars" are still a massive waste of money unless you are the paid restorer.
People think a $300K Yenko Camaro is some amazing investment BUT the same money at average market returns would be worth a lot more today.

Cars are a waste of money, period, the exceptions are just that exceptions and if everyone sees it as an opportunity too many will be preserved to ever pan out.

I know that is not the point of posting this article but the idea of cars being valuable or investments has always been a sore spot with me.

That said everyone should have things and hobbies they enjoy in life, having a nice fast large car is how I choose to waste me money, some folks waste it on smoking or booze, or professional sports, or a big fishing boat etc.
Agreed, cars are a waste of money and really can't be counted upon as an investment.

The only point that was made in the article that made me post this and agree with is that the Model S was the first car that really changed the perception of electric cars. That is the only thing that could help them to one day be collector's items. But even then I would think that it will only be the founders or signature editions.

Reactions: unbelievable
I love at the end of the article they make mention to Tesla's market cap, which is nearly equal to GM's by the way. Biggest difference? GM pushing $5 EPS and Tesla is almost -$9 EPS. Can't cheat the financials, something's gotta give here.

PS: Still love my Tesla, just not sure how Elon's gonna pull this off for the longer term.

Lutz is trying to enter the EV market the only way he knows how: trash talking. They can't build a successful car so they probably think attacking who they perceive as the reason they'll fail as the next best thing to actual success.

I used to like reading Lutz in some magazine..( Motor Trend maybe) but he is a climate change denier and just seems to be settling into the old guy grumpy mode.

As they say change is hard...and get's harder the older you get.

He's just a car guy. Tesla is not just a car company. He will never wrap his head around a person that lives from his heart and not the bottom dollar. I think he's a very jealous person. I also feel that he used this headline to once again, speak negatively about Tesla.

Far as a rare car I traded a 2015 Chevy Sports Sedan in on my P85, that was a rare car, 12,700 total imported from Australia model years 2014-2017. Motor Trend said it beat BMW at the "sports sedan" segment though the interior quality was of course not up to the same standard. It was a modern dinosaur, wish the MS had the Chevy Mag-Ride vs. the air suspension, and the HUD was something I wish Tesla used. No regrets about my decision though.