Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S as a first response vehicle!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my Model S out on a fire / EMS call for the first time tonight. Responded to a motor vehicle rollover with one injury. It was the smoothest ride I've ever taken to a scene. I loved pulling my gear our of the frunk to the astonishment of another responder.

Oh, and the blue light in the dash looked pretty darn cool!

I imagine this is the debut of the Model S as a first response vehicle, but who knows.

Please tell me you can get it modified with flashing lights installed and stuff. That would be so cool! Take video!

Software integration with the screens would be awesome too, but obviously, I think that would be a ways away. Imagine if you could get updates about the traffic light status and whatever scene you're headed to right there on the screens!

Last edited:
Took my Model S out on a fire / EMS call for the first time tonight. Responded to a motor vehicle rollover with one injury. It was the smoothest ride I've ever taken to a scene. I loved pulling my gear our of the frunk to the astonishment of another responder.

Oh, and the blue light in the dash looked pretty darn cool!

I imagine this is the debut of the Model S as a first response vehicle, but who knows.

I suppose you are the first. I work with our county EMS and am a Disaster Management ER Doc so I too will be a 1st Responder but at the facility level. Unfortunately, in CA it is illegal for me to have any flashing lights in my car when I use it as such. Tow trucks have more rights to lights than I do. Alas....

So glad to hear your electric car is being used to save lives!!

Cheers.

I guess there are a few more firsts to record along these lines. We had a medical emergency in our household the day before we took delivery of our Model S and got in touch with good friend who is a doctor. She had her husband rush her over in their Roadster – he even loaned me the keys to drive out for a medical supply run! I have to concur that Tesla makes some very fine emergency vehicles. The next morning the couple came over early to check on the patient, and then we went together to the Fremont factory to take the tour and pick up Zoe (yes, I named our newest addition after the "Zero Emissions" placeholder plate. It seems to suit her.)

Please tell me you can get it modified with flashing lights installed and stuff. That would be so cool!

I have a LED dash light - no physical modification an of yet. In my Escape Hybrid I installed LEDs in the grill, and generally respond in they vehicle.

I'm not likely to make modifications to the Model S. I just can't bring myself to do it. I did manage to tuck the cord for the dash light under the appulstry so it can't be see.

Image link: Twitter / Mike_Schlechter: Responded to a motor vehicle ...

As far as storage, I keep my medical jump kit in the back, under the floor, my turnout gear in the frunk (it can get dirty and smelly, so best if it isn't in the passenger area) and my bright yellow EMS coat sitting on the passenger seat in an easily seen location from the driver's side window... Just in case an officer of the law is looking in through said window thinking I may have been speeding.

I have responded to calls in my volt before, but I think you most likely win the award for first Model S response.

Has Chevy released extrication and battery disabling notes yet? I don't think Tesla has, but there is the orange tag under the frunk, but nothing else. I shutter to imagine having to extricate anyone from a Model S, despite my love of the Hearst Tool! Also been wondering how the air suspension would respond with cribbing. Not testing it on my car, but might be a problem for stabilization.

I have to hope that with an airbag deployment the battery goes into a safe mode, as does the suspension, but not seen any documentation to this effect.

Has Chevy released extrication and battery disabling notes yet? I don't think Tesla has, but there is the orange tag under the frunk, but nothing else. I shutter to imagine having to extricate anyone from a Model S, despite my love of the Hearst Tool! Also been wondering how the air suspension would respond with cribbing. Not testing it on my car, but might be a problem for stabilization.

I have to hope that with an airbag deployment the battery goes into a safe mode, as does the suspension, but not seen any documentation to this effect.

Chevy has actually been very helpfull with us. Before I leased by Volt, they brought one over to our department's weekly drill, and had a tech go over all the fire service related info for the vehicle with us. We have not had an EV crash yet in my district, but the info we got from the class was worth while, and will eventually be put to good use.

Chevy has actually been very helpfull with us. Before I leased by Volt, they brought one over to our department's weekly drill, and had a tech go over all the fire service related info for the vehicle with us. We have not had an EV crash yet in my district, but the info we got from the class was worth while, and will eventually be put to good use.

Interesting... I'm the EMS training officer for our department. We've not had a drill specific to BEVs, PHEVs, etc yet. I'm going to reach out to the local Chevy dealer and Nissan dealer and see if they want to come to one of our weekly drills.

I'm still waiting on the equivalent to Tesla's Roadster "first responder guide" for the Model S. In the meantime, I've been showing all of our volunteer fire(wo)men the loop to cut, and getting their mindset around disabling the battery in an electric vehicle first.

Thanks for all the responders out there in general, also for telling your stories using EVs, but most importantly, to helping push forward EV safety knowledge in the responder community, especially for the Tesla Model S. I cringe imagining a Hurst tool on a Tesla but it will eventually happen - any effort helping make sure it will be done right and helping the victims is worthwhile.

First responded to a second call in th car. This time it was a medical call, and as we moved the patient to the ambulance he said, "is that a Tesla?" I said yes. Then he said, "I'd rather you take me to the hospital in that!" I explained that we lacked the equipment in the back of my car to assist him if he were to degrade rapidly, and tht anyone who called 911 for dehydration from vomiting and diarrhea is not allowed in my car without a doctor's note stating he was no longer likely to defile it. Everyone laughed, which is, I'm told, the best medicine anyway. Though Zofran also helped in this situation too.

Interesting... I'm the EMS training officer for our department. We've not had a drill specific to BEVs, PHEVs, etc yet. I'm going to reach out to the local Chevy dealer and Nissan dealer and see if they want to come to one of our weekly drills.
This seems to be a good resource for first responder guides for the major hybrid and EV cars:

Manufacturer Resources - Electric Vehicle Safety Training

The Volt and Tesla Roadster guides are there but nothing on the Model S yet. Tesla also publishes their Roadster materials on their website at:

Info for First Responders | Tesla Motors

I saw a statement at a 3rd party training site that said Tesla had plans to publish first responder materials for the Model S in December but it looks like they missed their goal.