Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S at Auto Show Spring 2014 by REVO and Babson & Olin Colleges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pollux

Supporting Member
Hi, folks,

Update & pix from the Spring 2014 Auto Show sponsored by the Babson Auto Group -- Wellesley, Massachusetts.

Update: an auto show held at a local college, for several years running now. Took place this past Saturday, April 26, 12-3 p.m. Co-sponsored by Babson College (marketing, business) and Olin College (engineering), which share some campus space. One of the organizers is an ex-Tesla employee, who reached out to Ben Goodwin / Tesla Motors Club. About six of us showed up, along with the local Tesla showroom manager, plus a couple of other Tesla-connected folks, one of whom was a show organizer. The electric cars were given pride-of-place, right after registration to get into the auto show. So *everyone* saw the electric cars! I say electric cars rather than just Teslas, because there was also a Leaf. And something else, now I forget. Naturally, there were also a ton of the kinds of cars you'd expect: Porsche, Mercedes, Maserati, BMW, muscle cars... even a "Unimog". Honestly, to me, it was all more of the same, except for the Unimog.

Auto show visitors were *all over* the Teslas, and the Tesla owners were busy chatting with the guests and showing off their cars. I've forgotten everyone's name and handle at this point, except for one. So let me just mention that Woof, in particular, was there. :) Since I've forgotten everyone else's name & handle, please do feel free to let everyone on this thread know that you attended!

A good time was had by all, and I'm convinced that a lot of people left the show with a better understanding of and deeper interest in electric vehicles in general and Tesla in particular. The college kids, especially, all seemed convinced that electric was the wave of the future.

Pix, with some comments. If you want a much higher-resolution copy of a photo, please send me a private message indicating which one you'd like.

1. Electric motorycle! 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, 108 mph top speed (software limited), 400 pounds curb weight, 170 mile range (with extended battery). Very cool!

auto_show01.jpg

2. I demonstrated an extra-cost Tesla Model S option -- an "engine". Turns out, many people are baffled by Model S' lack of an apparent engine and drivetrain. People find this optional engine makes much more sense.

auto_show02.jpg

3, 4, 5, 6. Various show-goers with happy, Tesla grins. :)

auto_show03.jpg

auto_show04.jpg

auto_show05.jpg

auto_show06.jpg

7. More Tesla grins. The gentleman on the right, Nick, had been a local Tesla showroom employee and was key to organizing the show and obtaining TMC participation.

auto_show07.jpg

8. These two young ladies were working at the BMW booth nearby (note lettering on jackets). They seemed a lot happier hanging out in a Model S. Coincidentally, I observed a dramatic uptick in the number of middle-aged men milling about.

auto_show08.jpg

auto_show09.jpg

10. I am astonished to report that my particular vehicle won the "Best in Show" award! I've never won anything before, not even "Most Improved". Since there were five other Model S' at the show, the winning criterion turned out to be... the engine! :)

auto_show10.jpg

Over & out,
Alan