TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S at CES 2011 - NVidia Tegra

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Roger_Smith, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Tommy

Tommy Member

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#3 doug, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
    For CES 2011
    An Nvidia connection is kinda funny since they already have a General Purpose GPU called Tesla.

3. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Awesome news, thanks.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

NVidia TEGra

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-32254_1-20027043-283.html
    [​IMG]
    (Image Credit: Nvidia)

5. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Good find with the image. It looks like a subtle evolution of the original S dash.

One of the links contains a HUD too. We can but hope.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

wow, and here I was wanting to ALSO go to the detroit show just for the S... WOOT!

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I went to CES last year and about 7 years ago. It really wasn't that interesting last year compared to my first visit. Wish I was going this year. Have had a deposit down for 19 months and still haven't seen the Model S in person yet. The Roadster is making the wait a little easier though=) I'm really excited about the Model S too and can't wait to get one.

I've never really liked how the bezel of the screen seems to cut the left lower corner of the screen off (I'm sure it doesn't but seems that way in the pictures) but love the look overall.

8. jaanton

jaanton Roadster NA #1026

I sat in the Model S prototype about a month ago. I was warned that many things will be different, but that I could get an idea of the screen usability. I noted that the prototype screeen was quite accessable but it was strange to be cut off in the lower left as you say. The look was pretty nice. It somehow didn't feel as roomy as say a big BMW, but who really knows what the final will be like. But clearly, the emerging generation of electric cars are going to have top of the line electronics.

9. Fr23shjive

Fr23shjive Member

Yeah, Im thinking I might need to make a road trip out to Vegas to check out the Model S. I'm really excited for the release of the Model S.

10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#12 TEG, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  11. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

Am I the only one who got a kick out of the "EXIT" sign on a roof-only outdoor tent? :redface:

I wonder how much power that display will use. I know it's probably not much compared to what's needed to move the car but I am still curious as back lighting a display uses a decent amount of power.

12. bolosky

bolosky Member

You'll never notice it. I did a quick web search and found a page that shows a Mac using 6.5W for the backlight. While that's a lot for a (tiny) laptop battery, it's noise for a car. I don't know how big the S battery will be, but the Roadster is north of 50 kWh. So, to drain the battery completely you'd need over 320 days at 6.5W. To consume a mile's range (~250Wh) would take more than a day and a half.

The only accessories on the Roadster that draw enough power to matter are the AC and (especially) the heat. Unless they hide a rack-mount server with a big disk array or a small aluminum smelter in there somewhere, this will likely also be true on the S.

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I just took the plastic under the car as a sign they are "under construction". Or maybe it's a skid pad.

14. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I think they are setting themselves up for controversy with the "tainment" part of the screen name.

15. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Nice.... Will this add cost to the Model S' baseline price????

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I know at least one of us going to CES this year. Hopefully he will be asking lots of questions.

17. Adm

Adm Active Member

Ow, and don't forget your camera!!!

18. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

It's not me ...