Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S at the 2010 NAIAS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are a few shoots that I found on Autoblog Green.

Here's a shot of the updated info screen:
naias-2010-model-s-19.jpg

Standing outside looking in: I took notice of the new blue "D" and red "P" buttons.
naias-2010-model-s-16.jpg

Here's a back 3/4 shot:
naias-2010-model-s-06.jpg

Here's a front 3/4 shot:
naias-2010-model-s-01.jpg

A side shot with the front door and charge port open:
naias-2010-model-s-04.jpg

Hurry up Tesla!!! I want one BAD.:redface:

Last edited:
I just noticed something else about the new screen which has a button that's labeled "Camera". Does this mean the Model S will be sold with a backup camera? Or is this screen just another development version?

Possibly, rear visibility looks like it should be pretty good but a backup camera would be a nice feature/add-on.

A few other things I noticed:

- There is a "TC" button below "P". Traction-Control defeat could be fun in an electric car. :biggrin:

- I guess the whole screen could possibly be customized but I think the bottom row of "buttons" (The defrost, exterior air and face/feet buttons) need to be moved to the top, or near the top, of the screen. They also need to have a rumble or other sensory feedback so you can tell they have engaged.

- Unless the screen is completely fake it looks like this Model S has a ~250-mile battery pack, based on the EPA number.

- The air vents (I'm guessing) in the 2nd picture look interesting.

- I would love to see a shot or two of the rear seat.

Possibly, rear visibility looks like it should be pretty good but a backup camera would be a nice feature/add-on.

A few other things I noticed:

- I guess the whole screen could possibly be customized but I think the bottom row of "buttons" (The defrost, exterior air and face/feet buttons) need to be moved to the top, or near the top, of the screen. They also need to have a rumble or other sensory feedback so you can tell they have engaged.

- Unless the screen is completely fake it looks like this Model S has a ~250-mile battery pack, based on the EPA number.

- I would love to see a shot or two of the rear seat.

Hey PopSmith,
I thought I heard the screen will have several different layouts but I can't confirm until Tesla releases more feature of the system. I also heard that the screen will have haptic feedback to get to give a user an indication that something has been selected.

Looks like photographer might have been using a polarized filter given the coloration on the screen.

doug,
I think the coloration is due to a coating that reduces glare on the screen.

[snip]
[snip]
I doubt the screen is fake since the original prototype had an operating display and they've been developing working versions of the display all along. However, Tesla has stated they have only two drivable prototypes and that the design is not complete. It's also been mentioned that the prototypes are built on a Mercedes CLS frame. There is no way the Model S has been tested on the EPA cycle yet (IMHO), and I'm sure there will be a press release when it is. So, it's my assumption that the EPA Cycle number is just a SWAG and has no relationship to the production vehicles.

So, it's my assumption that the EPA Cycle number is just a SWAG and has no relationship to the production vehicles.
If it's like most concept vehicles, it is just swag. But then if I remember correctly, the original drivable prototype had a battery pack taken from the Roadster and it might be hooked up to the BMS taken from the Roadster.

I wonder how far along they are in the development of the platform. Hopefully they reveal some news soon. Maybe when they are ready to announce the factory location.

Pinch to zoom, yup, that requires multitouch. I hadn't seen capacitive MT in a display that big before (other large MT displays have all been that super cheesy side looking IR).

It would let you separate out the UI frames into multiple pages and three finger swipe betwee them, allowing for, say, super large radio buttons.

I suppose the new iPad is halfway there between the iPhone and the Model S. This should still probably be the biggest one available to the public on arrival.

Depending on how hightech it is to get such a big screen like that, they might go for a simpler solution if they can't get enough of those for proper massproduction I suppose.

Cobos

Found a video featuring the model s at the NAIAS that seems to show multi-touch capability of the main screen (1:12), something I had not seen mentioned before.

YouTube - Exposed: All-electric Tesla Model S

Has anyone seen this in action?

Seems to me they could do a lot with gesture and multitouch based controls to eliminate the need to look for buttons while driving.

tomanik,

The video was very interesting and it shed a little more light on the developments of the "S". I read on another post that the Model S should have an 8000 battery cell pack. How will Tesla Motors determine the range of the packs? Good video again.

tomanik,

The video was very interesting and it shed a little more light on the developments of the "S". I read on another post that the Model S should have an 8000 battery cell pack. How will Tesla Motors determine the range of the packs? Good video again.

8000 seems a little low to me. Considering the Roadster has 6800. Unless they are going with a new chemistry - which seems not to be the case.

I would guess that they had a maximum target price in mind for the base model, and a minimum acceptable range they were willing to offer, and that was the best compromise they could come up with.

Would people want a $45,000 Model S with 100 mile range?

Also, at some point, if the pack is too small I don't think it will support enough power output to offer the performance they want.

I think 160 is probably pretty good considering you normally don't use the top 10 and bottom 10 percent of the pack so already starting out at 128 miles (I believe this is correct). Then knock off another 10 percent just to be safe I guess and are still over 100 miles.

I think 160 is probably pretty good considering you normally don't use the top 10 and bottom 10 percent of the pack so already starting out at 128 miles (I believe this is correct). Then knock off another 10 percent just to be safe I guess and are still over 100 miles.

I believe "advertising" the range of the Model S packs as their maximum (i.e. Range Mode charged) instead of the "Normal" mode will turn away some potential customers as Tesla starts to move into mainstream vehicles.

I know that a dino-burner has range that is different then their window stickers. However, if a customer had a 160-range in mind and finds out upon (or just before) purchasing that the real-world range is much closer to 100 miles this could be bad for Tesla and EVs in general.

I believe "advertising" the range of the Model S packs as their maximum (i.e. Range Mode charged) instead of the "Normal" mode will turn away some potential customers as Tesla starts to move into mainstream vehicles.

I know that a dino-burner has range that is different then their window stickers. However, if a customer had a 160-range in mind and finds out upon (or just before) purchasing that the real-world range is much closer to 100 miles this could be bad for Tesla and EVs in general.

I agree. With ICE vehicles there's tremendous variability from driver to driver, and from one driving situation to another for what the FE will be. With EVs that variability should be somewhat less.

It seems to me a nice chart showing:
RANGE
35 MPH Surface Streets = 140-160 miles
45 MPH City Streets = 120-140 miles
55 MPH Rural Highway = 100-110 miles
70 MPH Interstate = 80-100 miles

I think people would have a lot better idea about how speed impacts range and then would be less disappointed upon delivery.