TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S - Automobile Magazine's Automobile of the Year

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 3lectronica, Nov 1, 2012.

1. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

2 Auto of the year awards in 2 days. Not bad....not bad...

3. jaq1

jaq1 Member

The momentum for this car continues to build. Well done Tesla, I can't wait for mine to arrive in February.:smile:

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

waiting on Motor Trend...but this certainly is validation for TM, well done!

5. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I'm not someone prone to emotional responses, but a review like that made me a little misty eyed. Knowing I might be living in (and a minor participant of) a moment of change. Can you imagine what things would be like if electric cars become dominant? The quiet streets. The cleaner air in the cities; even if energy production is dirty, it's single sourced at a distance from the city. Less particulates in the air that settle to the ground so rain water run off is cleaner (though tire rubber is still a pollutant).

Not to mention various national impacts from less oil demand, such as fewer gas stations, fewer oil tankers, etc. It's just a crack of light right now, Tesla isn't there and is a small seller and it's only for cars, but its more a positive vision of the future than the oil driven one I'd gotten resigned to seeing.

6. Nikoli

Nikoli Member

Was there ever any doubt?

7. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

Actually, there was on my side. The car industry is quite shook up, over dealer model changes, business models for repair, and entrenched oil... so, I'm gladly surprised at the award.

8. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

Glad my deposit is in...hopefully this will encourage others to place deposites.

9. gdh66

gdh66 Member

And let's not forget to congratulate Elon, JB, Franz, and Peter Rawlinson, and the now 3,000+ Tesla employees for making all this happen!

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It's more to it than that, IMO. Generally speaking, the U.S. car industry decided to stay with oil. Despite the international..challenges. The economic turmoil just added to the mix. And then the bailots stirred the pot further, whipping up the political side.

But sometimes out of turmoil something good can come. If Tesla acts as a catalyst for the big guys to looks seriously upon moving away from oil as a fuel, the auto industry globally could pivot very quickly.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Near the end of the video (4:17 mark) they show what looks like the cover of a printed January 2013 issue. Anybody have a guess when this hits newsstands?

12. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Someone buy those people a drink. =)

13. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

I've been wearing a Tesla jacket on occasion, and lately, people I never would have expected have noticed it. The brand is really seeping into the public consciousness. This is a significant change from a year ago. George's magic is working... and building a world-class revolutionary product doesn't hurt either.

14. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

The video at the end of the article has some nice shots.

15. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

The gallery has some very nice photos, and you can download the high res versions...the night shot of the skyline is now my wallpaper.

16. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

2 awards in 2 days. At this rate a moderator should make a sub-category or a sticky for all the awards to come. :)

Congratulations to all the Tesla people.

And also a big congratulations to all you early adopters, current owners, and pending owners for believing and trusting in the product to put your money down and buy one! You also made this happen.

17. W8MM

W8MM R1.5 #325 + Mdl S #01380

The January issue of most all car mags will go to subscribers about December 5-10. Newsstand sales will follow the week after.

18. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

Did you notice anything funny about any of the pictures in the gallery? Particularly, "Tesla Model S Front Right Side View 2"?

19. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Honey, I shrunk the car!