Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S autopilot in instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Presently, the instrument cluster shows other vehicles in the road near your Tesla. I would like the cluster to show cars in the blind spot area, immediately behind and to the side.
Does anyone else see the value of this. The enhanced view would be useful when not using the autopilot.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, this is a common complaint among Tesla owners. You'll come across many posts here on the forum from members complaining how a 20K car has basic blindspot detection whereas a 80K+ Tesla lacks this basic feature.

Rumor is that v9.0 (supposedly scheduled for release in Aug) will enable this feature.

The problem is, how will it be added? Ultrasonics? Repeater cameras? I’ve never seen the ultrasonics respond currently quickly enough to be useful. Love it if they did.

Are the repeater cameras (the front lookng back cameras, for definition) covering the correct field of view to do blind spot monitoring? I’ve not seen a definitive depiction of what they see.

Been in many of my friends’ cars with the little indicators on the mirrors, and they work perfectly.

Also, another rumor is that this is why the AP nag alert was moved to only use the top of the screen (flashing white at the top). So that left and right blind spot could be on the sides. Elon (I think) responded to a tall user who wanted the option to move the ‘top only’ indicator to the bottom. But the left and right could be for BSM.

Version 9 should be interesting.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
The problem is, how will it be added? Ultrasonics? Repeater cameras? I’ve never seen the ultrasonics respond currently quickly enough to be useful. Love it if they did.

Are the repeater cameras (the front lookng back cameras, for definition) covering the correct field of view to do blind spot monitoring? I’ve not seen a definitive depiction of what they see.

Been in many of my friends’ cars with the little indicators on the mirrors, and they work perfectly.

Also, another rumor is that this is why the AP nag alert was moved to only use the top of the screen (flashing white at the top). So that left and right blind spot could be on the sides. Elon (I think) responded to a tall user who wanted the option to move the ‘top only’ indicator to the bottom. But the left and right could be for BSM.

Version 9 should be interesting.

The repeater cameras *has* to cover the blind spot. Otherwise why do they even exist?

But while such technology would be welcomed, the blind spot can be effectively eliminated with the driver's side mirror properly positioned. I find also that the current depiction of cars coming alongside on the left is slow where the passing car does not appear on the screen until it is just passing my driver side door. That certainly does not help.

Interestingly, the data is already there on the car’s CAN bus(es), presumably coming from the autopilot engine and repeater cameras. The car already uses the data for auto lane change.

No clue why they don’t show it in the UI for the driver yet; in my limited testing/experience it seems pretty accurate (at least on the highway).

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Interestingly, the data is already there on the car’s CAN bus(es), presumably coming from the autopilot engine and repeater cameras. The car already uses the data for auto lane change.

No clue why they don’t show it in the UI for the driver yet; in my limited testing/experience it seems pretty accurate (at least on the highway).

Do we know for sure if it's coming from the ultrasonics or the cameras?

The cars have been using ultrasonics to determine if lane changes are safe since AP 1, so not a huge surprise the data structure is there.

Reactions: Kristoffer Helle

You mean it has more range compared to what the current radiating lines animation shows?