Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - AutoPilot Options - Worth The Extra $$ ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering getting a Tesla Model S P100D

Looking at the "options"

For those who have it, is it WORTH the EXTRA $$ to get the TWO Autopilot Options?

#1 - Enhanced AutoPilot?

#2 - Full Self-Driving?

I will be driving in the CITY 95% of the time.

Is it worth the EXTRA $8,000 to get these options?

Or, do they end up being an EXPENSIVE "novelty" that most people don't really use?

Thanks for your insights.

Reg

At this point full self driving you can pass. It does not even exist yet so no point in paying for it now.

EAP on the other hand, I personally have no regrets. If you are going to be using the car in the city 95% of the time then it is probably not worth it for you. I do a good amount of highway driving so it works for me.

EAP is definitely worth it, but Tesla does charge a lot more for the add-on than its competitors.
FSD, is relatively cheap in the scheme of things and not that big of an issue after you've added EAP. Adding both before the sell allows them to be added into monthly payments. If you wait and decide to add it, then that's a big check to send.

The man purpose in getting full self driving is to support Tesla in their effort. Not just financially but, when the time comes, they'll be able to say to the politicians "X number of your constituents want this so much they paid for it when it wasn't yet even available". Is that worth it? Probably not.

AP with traffic aware cruise control? Oh yeah , worth every dime. And I only have AP 1.

I am considering getting a Tesla Model S P100D

Looking at the "options"

#2 - Full Self-Driving?

In a rare moment of practical thought, you should probably take Elon at his word in this interview from 2014 regarding FSD (@ 02:15).

According to his time-table (2014 + 5-6 years + 2-3 years for reg approval).... you'll have FSD in 2021-2023.

I would advise to get the EAP.
I did not buy the EAP option while ordering MS last year. There was free EAP trial offered for ppl like me couple of months ago. My car never got the invitation for that trial. When contacted the they tried twice to push the trial to my car. I was then sent to service station, even they could not install it. I was again sent to SC this only this time they kept my car and still could not enable EAP on my car, ultimately giving up.
So now I can not have EAP even if I pay for it. It is like having disabled car, only because I did not get it before.
Hope my experience is learning lesson for others.

EAP is worth it to me. Love it for stop and go traffic when commuting and for long distance boring stretches.

It does the easy stuff well, but when the going gets challenging, I take back the controls.

Autopilot is part of the Tesla Magic. Gotta have it, as it is one of those things that makes a Tesla a Tesla.

When the FSD becomes fully available, that also will be part of the magic that is Tesla.

Tesla just turned on all the 8 cameras for the first time for all the capable EAP drivers, at no cost. Looks like they are getting closer to additional capabilities.