Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S AWD, can it be retrofit for older car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know some of us want to upgrade our model S to AWD, and Tesla is doing a trade-in program but I'm sure we are not going to get a lot, especially those who put a lot of mileage on their car. My question is can Tesla retrofit the older car so that it can be upgrade to AWD? by doing this, we could save the hassle of trade-in our car or having to sell our old car and buy a new Model S AWD.

I'm pretty sure the costs involved in doing the upgrade would greatly exceed the loss involved in the trade in, so I believe Tesla will not offer the option. So many things they'd have to change to make the upgrade work...
Walter

I know some of us want to upgrade our model S to AWD, and Tesla is doing a trade-in program but I'm sure we are not going to get a lot, especially those who put a lot of mileage on their car. My question is can Tesla retrofit the older car so that it can be upgrade to AWD? by doing this, we could save the hassle of trade-in our car or having to sell our old car and buy a new Model S AWD.

The short answer is no, the AWD is not going to be retrofitted. But why would you need AWD in Houston?

If you look carefully at the photos of the new skateboard (chassis) from the reveal event, you will see that the whole front end structure is modified. Tesla guys I talked with confirmed this. They said that the whole crash structure was revised and strengthened to provide a strong and safe "nest" for the front motor. So an upgrade is for practical purposes impossible.
IMG_4417.jpg

If you look carefully at the photos of the new skateboard (chassis) from the reveal event, you will see that the whole front end structure is modified. Tesla guys I talked with confirmed this. They said that the whole crash structure was revised and strengthened to provide a strong and safe "nest" for the front motor. So an upgrade is for practical purposes impossible.
View attachment 61355

Thanks Vger, at least now I know :)

This is from the Teslamotors.com Blog -Some of these might also not be very upgradable, like the wider rear door openings, etc.

Other Product Updates

Our commitment to continuous improvement extends to other features of Model S, and we have recently made several updates to the car. The following features are either in production or will be delivered with Dual Motor Model S (as indicated).

• Seat comfort improvements and taller headrests for whiplash protection
  • Improvements for a quieter cabin
  • Wider rear door opening
  • Electrically opening, self-closing charge port door on Dual Motor Model S (delivered with Dual Motor Model S)
  • Increased visor size and larger vanity mirror
  • Parcel shelf and front trunk cargo net now standard
  • Air ionizer and carbon filter for cabin air purity
  • Updated steering column control module
  • Updates to Alcantara interior trim, such as wrapped roof bow and top pad

I spoke to service yesterday and they said the short answer is "no" right now. However in 6 months once the D is out there and being shipped daily etc it's possible we may be able to. So they aren't going to come out and definitely say NO. The only thing that's a definite NO Is the auto drive.

Last edited:
I spoke to service yesterday and they said the short answer is "no" right now. However in 6 months once the D is out there and being shipped daily etc it's possible we may be able to. So they aren't going to come out and definitely say NO. The only thing that's a definite NO Toni's the auto drive.

That's a bit better than I thought. I thought it would be absolutely no forever. Would probably not be worth what they'd charge for retrofit. Would still be missing out on the autonomous sensors though.

That's a bit better than I thought. I thought it would be absolutely no forever. Would probably not be worth what they'd charge for retrofit. Would still be missing out on the autonomous sensors though.

while I think the auto drive is cool. The only really part I want is the dual drive and ok the recaro seats and only in the front which I've been told is also a possible retro next year. (As long as you already have a P85)

Not going to happen. If you look at this photo you'll see the half shafts from the front motor go through the double-octagonal intrusion beams, which aren't even double octagonal anymore. Punching through those beams on an existing car would compromise their collision strength.

DSCF8520_verge_super_wide.jpg

One thing non-D cars will have over D cars is a larger crumple zone up front. There's still way more space on D cars than an ICE car, but it's less than non-D. Also, in a really severe collision there's nowhere for the front motor to go other than back, as it can't drop down under the car because it sits on top of the double-decker battery stack at the front of the pack. This shouldn't ever be a concern in all but the most severe crash. Judging from the NHTSA crash tests and real world crashes, plus obvious strengthening of the crash frame, I'm not concerned.

Last edited: