Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Awesomeness Delivery Experience (Sarcasm)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once upon a one their was a long lost tale of a great delivery experience from Tesla

However, this isn't it

I took delivery of my car two weeks ago but during the delivery I noticed some issues internally and then some pain issues externally. I told him that I did not want to take delivery but they said go ahead we will take care of it when you come in for service next time. I Realized I cannot get my clear bra on till the paint defects were fixed though and in the meantime I got one huge rock chip which pissed me off so I drop the car off on Monday.

It's been two weeks now and I haven't even touched my car.

The thing annoying about all this is I didn't even want to pick up my car till 6 July because I was going to be out of town and they rushed me to pick it up last minute.

Had I waited I would've just canceled my order and waited for the faster one. It was just a last quarter push which blows.

I do love the car but it just sucks I've already made my first payment and insurance payment for car I've only driven 125 miles and they have no idea when the car will be ready. I keep getting the run around.

There been same discussion previously when the price drop on the 75, Tesla DS job is to ensure delivery as fast as possible to reduce cancellation, although Tesla never publish cancellation rate either within the 7 days or before delivery. With various owners being ask (push?) to take delivery as early as possible, it does appear there are quite a few cancellations especially with the revealing of M3.

Let it be known, had they actually cared about OP they wouldn't have railroaded him (and many others) into taking delivery before end of quarter. Tesla cares less and less about customer happiness and more and more about their financial bottom line and investor perceptions. Feel free to ding away like cowards without actually being able to refute this.

Once upon a one their was a long lost tale of a great delivery experience from Tesla

However, this isn't it

Do you have a Tesla loaner? If not, then they need to get you a Tesla loaner. And something extra... I would got for swag. If you have a loaner, then technically you are driving a Tesla and you are getting miles on their car and not yours.

OP, I would request an expected date of when your car will be ready. It could be tomorrow. If you are not satisfied with the answer, then escalate the situation to a manager. Also, you can reach out to [email protected].

I have found Tesla to be very responsive to my concerns and I am happy overall with my experience. There are plenty of others here who have posted recently about their positive delivery experiences too. Once they resolve the issues with your car, I know you can be in that group too.

Tell us about the car... what color and model?

I initially had a very bad delivery experience... my car was hit at low speed by a motorist after it was unloaded from the carrier... and the rear bumper had to be replaced and repainted... this was because the delivery truck had to unload the cars on the street because they couldn't fit it in the parking lot...

After a long wait for repair, I was allowed to wait on making the final decision, and after being told by everyone on earth that I shouldn't accept the car, I put the decision off while they repaired it... it felt like forever.... I was miserable. If it weren't for one hell of a sales person developing a great rapport over a long time, I wouldn't have taken the leap. I'm so glad I did.

That being said, in the first week, I hit a huge pothole, and incurred $5000 of bent rims and blown front strut on my air suspension. Now, does this sound awful? Yes...

Now, it's been 3 months... I've put on 7000 glorious miles... the car is freaking unbelievable.

I like what davidc18 said... welcome to the club... it sounds kind of like an insult, but it isn't ... we love these cars, and we are all kind of part of the experiment with this young pubescent company that is all awkward and not refined... it's remarkable what tesla has done... it's blown the doors off the whole industry... I mean for god's sake, Volvo just went electric... even the most miserable people on this forum are so happy they can't even write their crazy comments without a stupid grin.

Amurica! Fk YEAH!

My delivery experience sucked as well. It's par for the course with Tesla unfortunately.

That said, I don't think it's an issue of not caring. It's a balancing act. They know they have to keep deliveries high to keep the share price in check and avoid stupid stories like last week talking about how demand for the S and X is waning. In that respect, I'm sure they have every desire to make good on the problems but didn't want to push your delivery into the next quarter and not have it count for Q2.

Sadly though, the remainder of the Tesla experience suffers from the same problems as the delivery so even though they have every intent to fix any problems, the process is completely boned and people end up suffering on the delivery and then the subsequent follow up service or lack thereof.

My car took 3 weeks to arrive. In that three weeks Tesla was supposed to nail down my paperwork and get me an offer for my 2013 S85. I called several times to find out about the offer for the S85 and every time they forgot about it. Two days before the car was due in they finally called to finalize some details, details we'd already finalized. The day before I was due to pickup my car I still had NO idea what my final lease numbers were and no followup from my advisor on when I'd get them or even what the process was. I was completely in the dark. Even then they botched the paperwork and here I am, a couple hours before delivery, informing Tesla's employee in Fremont that my lease paperwork was wrong. He gets it fixed, I go to the store to pick the car up and it's still $600 off. At this point the whole thing had been such a headache I decided to eat the $600 rather than continue to fight with them.

The car needed a front bumper cover and a right side mirror. They said they'd have service call me to set up an appointment. Knowing that parts take time to come in, I waited. A couple months later I called and they had no idea what I was talking about. They had completely forgotten and failed to follow up. To their credit, they made quick arrangements to get the car in and get me a loaner. Once they had my car they installed and painted the wrong bumper cover (no auto-pilot). A replacement and paint added another few weeks. When I got the car back the mirror they replaced didn't fold.

I will say this. I don't think it's intentional. Any of it. I hate to invoke the name of a reality tv star but Marcus Lemonis always talks about the people and the process when he's discussing a company. Tesla's people are generally exceptional but their process, for lack of a better term: sucks. From start to finish you see people embarrassed to continually be making such sophomoric mistakes yet lacking the management and the process to effectively eliminate those mistakes. But the whole way along, at least on the service side, it's all apologies. It's all "we know this is not good". They're there in the trenches with you, genuinely frustrated that again they've ordered the wrong part, or not fixed a problem, or fixed a problem only to have it immediately return. People don't want to continually fail. Nobody goes to their job every day with a smile on their face and the intent to piss people off. So I take the great attitudes combined with the sometimes utter incompetence as a sign that these are people that genuinely want to do their best but that are handcuffed by poor management. But it's those attitudes that make me believe they will eventually get there. There's a learning curve here.

Two more things to note:

1. No amount of Tesla store employee screw-ups even remotely approaches the experience of buying a car through a traditional franchise dealership. I own my own business and structure complex deals and even I find myself getting confused while a finance manager starts talking numbers a mile a minute. I'll take Tesla's incompetence over a third party dealer's straight up deceit any day of the week.

2. The cars are really getting to the point where they require exponentially less service. My 2013 was an absolute headache. I loved the car and I never feared it would leave me stranded but the accessories were just stupid. Low battery warnings for the key when the batteries were new, a chronic "Service tire pressure system" warning for 6 months and several trips, a pano roof seal that kept leaking, etc. My 2015 had the heated seats fail to come on for a week. Other than that it's been a blast. I imagine the newer cars are even better.

Last edited:
Reactions: buttershrimp
There been same discussion previously when the price drop on the 75, Tesla DS job is to ensure delivery as fast as possible to reduce cancellation, although Tesla never publish cancellation rate either within the 7 days or before delivery. With various owners being ask (push?) to take delivery as early as possible, it does appear there are quite a few cancellations especially with the revealing of M3.

I know thats the tactic and I get it from a standpoint of shareholders but It sucks when they rush you. Guess its the name of game, cant hate the playa, hate the game!

My God this is som serious issues!! (sarcasm)

so serious, i needed to go see the famous TMC psychologist lol

They got your $$ -- that's all they really cared about.

It sucks but thats what evreyone is after these days!

Let it be known, had they actually cared about OP they wouldn't have railroaded him (and many others) into taking delivery before end of quarter. Tesla cares less and less about customer happiness and more and more about their financial bottom line and investor perceptions. Feel free to ding away like cowards without actually being able to refute this.

They dont care about anyone, just about their pockets. Elon is trying to invent guys, he needs money. Lets take ours! and sell it right back to us with a premium!

Do you have a Tesla loaner? If not, then they need to get you a Tesla loaner. And something extra... I would got for swag. If you have a loaner, then technically you are driving a Tesla and you are getting miles on their car and not yours.

well, yes took some time to get that. They wanted to put me in a big Infiniti SUV which I didnt like. I drive 140 miles round trip, dont wanna be stuck filling the gas on that thing

OP, I would request an expected date of when your car will be ready. It could be tomorrow. If you are not satisfied with the answer, then escalate the situation to a manager. Also, you can reach out to [email protected].

I have found Tesla to be very responsive to my concerns and I am happy overall with my experience. There are plenty of others here who have posted recently about their positive delivery experiences too. Once they resolve the issues with your car, I know you can be in that group too.

Expected date as they put it depends on when the parts arrive, apparently bumper arrived last Friday and has been sent to body shop. They said that they will install the bumper once they get it back from them at the SVC

Just curious, What exactly did you find wrong with the car? Was this a CPO?

Brand New car. Bumper had paint defects, the little console where USB plugs in was scratched up, the rear kick panel had a scratch, the paint had scratches on a pillars, the sunroof seal was coming out, the bumped mis aligned, the drive kick panel had a scratch.

to name a few things

Tell us about the car... what color and model?

I initially had a very bad delivery experience... my car was hit at low speed by a motorist after it was unloaded from the carrier... and the rear bumper had to be replaced and repainted... this was because the delivery truck had to unload the cars on the street because they couldn't fit it in the parking lot...

After a long wait for repair, I was allowed to wait on making the final decision, and after being told by everyone on earth that I shouldn't accept the car, I put the decision off while they repaired it... it felt like forever.... I was miserable. If it weren't for one hell of a sales person developing a great rapport over a long time, I wouldn't have taken the leap. I'm so glad I did.

That being said, in the first week, I hit a huge pothole, and incurred $5000 of bent rims and blown front strut on my air suspension. Now, does this sound awful? Yes...

Now, it's been 3 months... I've put on 7000 glorious miles... the car is freaking unbelievable.

I like what davidc18 said... welcome to the club... it sounds kind of like an insult, but it isn't ... we love these cars, and we are all kind of part of the experiment with this young pubescent company that is all awkward and not refined... it's remarkable what tesla has done... it's blown the doors off the whole industry... I mean for god's sake, Volvo just went electric... even the most miserable people on this forum are so happy they can't even write their crazy comments without a stupid grin.

Amurica! Fk YEAH!

****kkk ya! THATS WHAT I WANNA SAY! but Its a 75D with white interior, carbon fiber, premium upgrade, sound, and sun roof!

sounds like my experience is peanuts compared to yours man!

My delivery experience sucked as well. It's par for the course with Tesla unfortunately.

That said, I don't think it's an issue of not caring. It's a balancing act. They know they have to keep deliveries high to keep the share price in check and avoid stupid stories like last week talking about how demand for the S and X is waning. In that respect, I'm sure they have every desire to make good on the problems but didn't want to push your delivery into the next quarter and not have it count for Q2.

Sadly though, the remainder of the Tesla experience suffers from the same problems as the delivery so even though they have every intent to fix any problems, the process is completely boned and people end up suffering on the delivery and then the subsequent follow up service or lack thereof.

My car took 3 weeks to arrive. In that three weeks Tesla was supposed to nail down my paperwork and get me an offer for my 2013 S85. I called several times to find out about the offer for the S85 and every time they forgot about it. Two days before the car was due in they finally called to finalize some details, details we'd already finalized. The day before I was due to pickup my car I still had NO idea what my final lease numbers were and no followup from my advisor on when I'd get them or even what the process was. I was completely in the dark. Even then they botched the paperwork and here I am, a couple hours before delivery, informing Tesla's employee in Fremont that my lease paperwork was wrong. He gets it fixed, I go to the store to pick the car up and it's still $600 off. At this point the whole thing had been such a headache I decided to eat the $600 rather than continue to fight with them.

The car needed a front bumper cover and a right side mirror. They said they'd have service call me to set up an appointment. Knowing that parts take time to come in, I waited. A couple months later I called and they had no idea what I was talking about. They had completely forgotten and failed to follow up. To their credit, they made quick arrangements to get the car in and get me a loaner. Once they had my car they installed and painted the wrong bumper cover (no auto-pilot). A replacement and paint added another few weeks. When I got the car back the mirror they replaced didn't fold.

I will say this. I don't think it's intentional. Any of it. I hate to invoke the name of a reality tv star but Marcus Lemonis always talks about the people and the process when he's discussing a company. Tesla's people are generally exceptional but their process, for lack of a better term: sucks. From start to finish you see people embarrassed to continually be making such sophomoric mistakes yet lacking the management and the process to effectively eliminate those mistakes. But the whole way along, at least on the service side, it's all apologies. It's all "we know this is not good". They're there in the trenches with you, genuinely frustrated that again they've ordered the wrong part, or not fixed a problem, or fixed a problem only to have it immediately return. People don't want to continually fail. Nobody goes to their job every day with a smile on their face and the intent to piss people off. So I take the great attitudes combined with the sometimes utter incompetence as a sign that these are people that genuinely want to do their best but that are handcuffed by poor management. But it's those attitudes that make me believe they will eventually get there. There's a learning curve here.

Two more things to note:

1. No amount of Tesla store employee screw-ups even remotely approaches the experience of buying a car through a traditional franchise dealership. I own my own business and structure complex deals and even I find myself getting confused while a finance manager starts talking numbers a mile a minute. I'll take Tesla's incompetence over a third party dealer's straight up deceit any day of the week.

2. The cars are really getting to the point where they require exponentially less service. My 2013 was an absolute headache. I loved the car and I never feared it would leave me stranded but the accessories were just stupid. Low battery warnings for the key when the batteries were new, a chronic "Service tire pressure system" warning for 6 months and several trips, a pano roof seal that kept leaking, etc. My 2015 had the heated seats fail to come on for a week. Other than that it's been a blast. I imagine the newer cars are even better.

I really appreciate the insight on all this man. You are right now that the experience isnt intentional its the process. They have their list of things that need to happen on their Salesforce checklist which they abide by. If the they checklist added "do QC on the car, they would do it" because they are on a strict timeline everyone is a robot.