TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Base $1,170 Price Increase 8/1/13 ?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Ufrugger, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Ufrugger

Ufrugger Member

Looks like the base price for the Model S has increased by $1,170. Pricing for base 60 is $63,570 and the 85 is now $88,570 (both prices before $7,500 credit).

Is this perhaps a sign that new features, other than software/map updates, are in the works? Maybe some of the parking sensors and heated seats may finally start appearing in the US? I'm optimistic that that is the case, instead of some sort of catch-up pricing due to misjudging maintenance/warranty work.

2. ModelS8794

ModelS8794 Member

Pretty sure that's just the delivery and doc prep fees.

3. markb1

markb1 Active Member

That's true. Tesla needs to fix their design studio to make this more clear.

4. Ufrugger

Ufrugger Member

That may be the case, but their website currently shows both prices. If you click on 'Options & Pricing' it shows the 60 as $62,400, but when you click on 'Order' it shows the $63,570 cash price.

Also, just heard from a friend of mine who was called yesterday by Tesla. He had place a deposit but had not ordered yet and they were asking for him to place a reservation to avoid the price increase.

Is adding delivery & doc fees to the base price a new practice? I had not read that and my apologies if it was already discussed on the forum.

5. markb1

markb1 Active Member

It's not. They've always charged for that on top of the base price. From my MVPA:

Tesla Personal Delivery: $990
    Final inspection, prep, and coordination: $180

There's actually no doc fee in that. There are also lines on the MVPA for "Vehicle License Fee", "Registration, Transfer, and Titling Fees", "California Tire Fee", and "Other", which are in addition to everything else. These are dependent on your locality.

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

That's probably this: On-Hold-quot-orders-subject-to-new-pricing-after-August-1st

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I added a question mark to the thread title. AFAIK there's no price increase but it looks like the delivery and prep fees.

7. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Which is exactly what shows it isn't a price increase. "Options and Pricing" show the base price, but when you click order it adds in the other fees. These fees have been added on since Tesla first started selling the Model S.

8. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

base price staying the same but the other options are going up in price too AFAIK

9. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

Word from a Tesla employee today was that a price increase is just around the corner as well as rear parking sensors options and retrofit for MS's with Tech Pkg.

10. greenmachine1

greenmachine1 Member

Are people subject to the price increase if they put in an order now but don't confirm it?