Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S battery degradation question

I have a question that isn't FSD related but was hoping someone in here might be able to help.

I have a Dec 2016 Model S 75D. When new its rated range was 259 miles and currently max rated range is about 235 miles. Makes sense and I don't have a problem with it. 9% degradation over 5 years and 81,000 miles is average it seems.
My concern is the kWh. Last night I charged 87% of the battery and it said 55 kWh charged. If 55 kWh = 87% then mathematically 100% would be just 63 kWh. I know the usable is always less than the size of the pack, but does this seem right? Is my max really only about 63 kWh usable out of a 75 kWh pack now? Wondering if any other similar Model S 75D owners have a similar experience.

I have a question that isn't FSD related but was hoping someone in here might be able to help.

I have a Dec 2016 Model S 75D. When new its rated range was 259 miles and currently max rated range is about 235 miles. Makes sense and I don't have a problem with it. 9% degradation over 5 years and 81,000 miles is average it seems.
My concern is the kWh. Last night I charged 87% of the battery and it said 55 kWh charged. If 55 kWh = 87% then mathematically 100% would be just 63 kWh. I know the usable is always less than the size of the pack, but does this seem right? Is my max really only about 63 kWh usable out of a 75 kWh pack now? Wondering if any other similar Model S 75D owners have a similar experience.
Check it over a few charges, even in smaller charge amounts.
Mine works out on average around 67 kWh.
11/16 75D with 50k miles. Rated range 242mi

• Helpful
Reactions: GoofyGoober
Check it over a few charges, even in smaller charge amounts.
Mine works out on average around 67 kWh.
11/16 75D with 50k miles. Rated range 242mi

Okay I will but this info from you is pretty helpful too. Similar build time and config you just have 31k miles less than me currently with about 4 more kWh and about 7 miles more rated range. I guess my numbers seem about right or at least you can expect to be around where I am when you get to 80k miles haha

Okay I will but this info from you is pretty helpful too. Similar build time and config you just have 31k miles less than me currently with about 4 more kWh and about 7 miles more rated range. I guess my numbers seem about right or at least you can expect to be around where I am when you get to 80k miles haha
@technoz posted on twitter that he only lost 10mi of range... his 2016 75D has 105k mi
I'd like to hear his stats and charging habits

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC