TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Battery Pack - Cost Per kWh Estimate

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by CapitalistOppressor, Jun 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Very interesting. It seems that Elon's decision to stick with (for now) a tried and true battery chemistry was the right move. He has an acute sense of when to take a risk and when to be more cautious.

2. Seven7

Seven7 Member

I agree with you, Tesla probably buys enough silver to deal directly with silver producers (Miners/Refiners) in Canada and Mexico and get out of paying the exchange fee. I don't know enough about the other exchange traded metals Tesla uses to comment so I have to stop with this.

3. Zzzz...

Zzzz... Member

Elon just said that he will be disappointed if it would take 10 years to get to $100/kWh level!

4. mrdoubleb

mrdoubleb Active Member

And remember his tone, extremely confident. Add to that all the battery improvements in the pipeline they can't fully share yet, but were hinting at, and openly saying EVs will reach price parity with ICEs much earlier than 10 years, I think we have great things ahead in a galaxy very, very close. (Close as in 3-6 years instead of 10-15).

5. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

6. Zzzz...

Zzzz... Member

If someone wishes to see hidden info, like price per kWh on page 18, it is all text, just select it and copy paste somewhere...

Here is the paste from hidden part of page 18, but this works on all pages:
    Labor 0.07 5.7 3.6%
    Utility 0.07 5.7 3.6%
    Manuf ovhd 0.04 3.3 2.1%
    Yield losses 0.05 4.1 2.6%
    R&D 0.10 8.2 5.1%
    SGA 0.10 8.2 5.1%
    Cell cost 1.94 159 100%
    Profit, 8% 0.16 13 8%
    Price 2.10 172 108%

- - - Updated - - -

Update: for some parts like page 21 you would had to extract images unfortunately... Extract-from-the-Tesla-battery-report (3).jpg

7. Zzzz...

Zzzz... Member

8. Perfectlogic

Perfectlogic Member

#508 Perfectlogic, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    Interesting.

Citigroup: solar + battery storage “socketâ€￾ parity in years : Renew Economy
    Well now I know what caused Tesla to spike in the beginning of October, that is a large number.

9. blakegallagher