Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S battery pack upgrade *will* happen, per Elon Tweet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon was cleaning up his tweets about Tesla this evening, I saw at least 4 recent tweets was gone. Two for P85D/S85D efficiency, one for Model S battery upgrade and one for Roadster battery upgrade. Certainly I feel Elon is adjusting his strategy of using social media, maybe we won't see Elon's tweets about Tesla that frequently in the future?

Looks like he has.

Elon was cleaning up his tweets about Tesla this evening, I saw at least 4 recent tweets was gone. Two for P85D/S85D efficiency, one for Model S battery upgrade and one for Roadster battery upgrade. Certainly I feel Elon is adjusting his strategy of using social media, maybe we won't see Elon's tweets about Tesla that frequently in the future?

Wow. I wonder if he got "scolded" by someone. Maybe he didn't have permission by the board, maybe some sort of violation of SEC rules... Very interesting that they got nixed.

Maybe I am odd person out here, but I really have no interest in a bigger battery than an 85 until we are in the 110 neighborhood. At 110, I can reliably stop at every other supercharger and take a longer break rather than hitting ever supercharger along a route. Short of that, if I have to stop at every supercharger anyways, then 85 is plenty and still keeps me mostly in the faster part of the charging curve when I am stopped.

Maybe I am odd person out here, but I really have no interest in a bigger battery than an 85 until we are in the 110 neighborhood. At 110, I can reliably stop at every other supercharger and take a longer break rather than hitting ever supercharger along a route. Short of that, if I have to stop at every supercharger anyways, then 85 is plenty and still keeps me mostly in the faster part of the charging curve when I am stopped.

100% agree with this. I'm happy to keep my P85+ for many years to come.

Yes, 110 would be the sweet spot for an upgrade from 85. With a conservative 5% increase in pack capacity every year (as per Musk's blog post), that'd take about 4-5 years given the 90 pack now.

Agree also. Even with a new 70D here, that is plenty enough for our current needs in city but don't expect to stay in city more than 6-7 years more. The difference from 70-85, even 90 at this point was still not enough to justify a need to spend on that extra range benefit per cost.

If in the future we are around 110+kw and price comes down which should occur as well the it'll definitely make sense to replace the car or upgrade.

-T

Stupid question from non-owner - are the 70 and 85 (and presumably, 90) battery packs the same physical size? It is just battery density/technology which changes?

In other words, could someone who bought a 70 last year, expect to be able to upgrade to a 140 or whatever in a decades time?

Stupid question from non-owner - are the 70 and 85 (and presumably, 90) battery packs the same physical size? It is just battery density/technology which changes?

In other words, could someone who bought a 70 last year, expect to be able to upgrade to a 140 or whatever in a decades time?

The basic form factor for the battery pack as a whole remains the same. The pack is bolted into the bottom of the car the same way. It was designed this way all along to facilitate battery swaps (for which there's a proof-of-concept station at Harris Ranch, CA).

The number of cells in the pack is different for 60, 70 and 85. Battery tech has changed too as is the case with the 90 and probably to lesser degrees with the pre-90 packs. Battery packs have gone through several revisions, starting with A for the Signature cars in 2012 to, I believe, M now.

All that said, the pack is indeed designed to be swapped out and potentially upgraded that way. It'd be expensive but, there should be no technical hurdles. The only unknown is compatibility with the inverter and if that needs to be upgraded at some point to work with say, a 140 pack.

The basic form factor for the battery pack as a whole remains the same. The pack is bolted into the bottom of the car the same way. It was designed this way all along to facilitate battery swaps (for which there's a proof-of-concept station at Harris Ranch, CA).

The number of cells in the pack is different for 60, 70 and 85. Battery tech has changed too as is the case with the 90 and probably to lesser degrees with the pre-90 packs. Battery packs have gone through several revisions, starting with A for the Signature cars in 2012 to, I believe, M now.

All that said, the pack is indeed designed to be swapped out and potentially upgraded that way. It'd be expensive but, there should be no technical hurdles. The only unknown is compatibility with the inverter and if that needs to be upgraded at some point to work with say, a 140 pack.

Thanks for the info! Should provide a bit of certainty to those who go for the smaller models now.