Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S battery pack upgrade *will* happen, per Elon Tweet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except that this would kill (ok maybe more like seriously dent) their real 85kWh sales.

We learned one thing though : Tesla's base battery cost is >$250/kWh

That doesn't follow. They are using price discrimination to achieve a goal (the goal being to discourage upgrades). That says nothing about their costs or how those costs factor into a whole new car price.

If you were a Powerwall customer, then, you'd be satisfied getting parts of someone else's used car pack as part of your new Powerwall?

It's not about where the batteries come from, it's about whether the batteries meet the performance and longevity specifications. None of us knows how many components in our other purchases are recycled. All we usually care about is that it it's shiny and comes in a new box, looks and smells like new, is sold as new, and is warranted appropriately.

It's not about where the batteries come from, it's about whether the batteries meet the performance and longevity specifications. None of us knows how many components in our other purchases are recycled. All we usually care about is that it it's shiny and comes in a new box, looks and smells like new, is sold as new, and is warranted appropriately.
I agree. In my powerwall, I don't mind if the cells are recycled/reused from another source, as long as they meet the advertised rating, and longevity.
Or perhaps, for those concerned, a bit of a discount on refurbished cells and higher for everything brand new.

I think about it this way (with regard to the credit): Tesla really has no good use for your used battery pack. They can't take it and place it in a new car; all they can do is refurb it and keep it as a service loaner and/or service replacement, and I suspect they already have a good stock of service packs.

Or they could re-sell the used 85kwh packs to owners of used 60kwh cars. I for one would be happy to put a lightly used 85 pack in my old used 60kwh car, if the price was reasonable.

I would not consider that a reasonable price for a used 85kwh pack. $6,000... maybe.

wait, it cost $18k to go from a 60 to an 85 (yes, it was done a few times, dont think they offer this to anyone anymore), but they want to charge $22k to go from an 85 to a 90???? DOES NOT COMPUTE. $22k sounds like what it costs for the entire battery pack from scratch with NO core trade in value. I would expect an 85->90 UPGRADE price to be somewere between $3000-$6000, NOT $22000. this pricing is way off. it must be wrong, they must not be communicating this right. are they going to give us back $15k for our 85k batteries or let us keep them? For $22k I would keep the battery pack and use it for off-grid solar like wk057.

Then what would they do with all the used 60 kWh packs?

Vicious cycle, that...

I was hoping to keep that 60 pack... I got a little 1971 Alfa Rome GTV 1750 that is desperately wanting to become electric ;-). I know, not a solution for everyone. I guess at some point they either repurpose them for other applications or recycle them.

Frankly, what would be a much cooler solution would to instead upgrade the 60 pack itself by adding 2 additional "60 type" modules to the un-used "hump" in the front of the battery. That way it would become a 400 volt battery for performance and charging boost as well as a bump in capacity (each module being about 4.28kwh). A "68 special" if you will... That way no packs are thrown away. They are either upgraded to become 68kwh packs or the are taken apart for their modules to be used in the 68 kwh pack upgrades. I know.. never gonna happen, but I can dream can't I?

lol, Tesla will charge you an arm and a leg to upgrade the firmware to support that 85kwh battery in your car.

Yeah... Problably $25K :p

- - - Updated - - -

She said a core exchange was required

I think they are really trying to keep the packs from getting out into the wild...

I am resigned to the fact that I will likely never be able to upgrade my pack, or it won't happen until the original pack is total worn out so it's true value is $2.5K or less.

Last edited:
Why is it so hard to understand that Tesla don't want to sell replacement packs right now?
They are production constrained and it makes far more economic sense to make $20k margin on a new car sale than allow an existing customer to trade up.
Loving my 85, plenty of range left in the old girl...
Tesla will certainly have better options available when battery production is sufficient to provide for upgrades.
Till then, patience folks!

I'd be happy if tesla offered me multiple power wall units with MY old 85kWh battery included in the 22.5k.
I like this idea. Business-wise and for nostalgia reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

$2.5k credit for the core
I think I'd but a lot of cores at that price myself. Sounds like a great deal for Tesla!

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe Elon will throw in a new battery @ cost for the Sigs! We can only hope!
Such hope is counterproductive, I think, for Sigs.

Wouldn't replacing a 70 with an 85 battery make it heavier? I'd have to say no to that.

If the 90 battery includes the new contractors and 1500 amp fuse and + a free software update to Ludicrous, then that would only be $15K for the battery upgrade itself.