Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Battery Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@David.85D, it’s the New Vehicle Warranty terms that you describe but the OP did asked about battery 8 years warranty status...
To help the OP, do run the VIN online to see the initial statements as there are records for every car, as already been suggested.

i know. I read that very carefully. That document describes the general new car warranty AND the 8 year warranty on the battery. It also says nothing about the drive unit warranty since I think that was announced via tweet.

I could not find a separate document for the battery warranty.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Also curious to know the total cost. And if you are paying for a full replacement pack, I would think it should one that is completely new, not at all degraded. The warranty replacement packs were only required to be as good as what they were replacing.

Since Tesla really didn't do anything like normal model years in 2012, this car was most certainly sold by Feb 1. There wasn't inventory back then. Delivery was pretty fast - under 3 weeks. So the OP is out of luck if they have a battery warranty issue.
Heck, 50% or more chance the car was sold in California and the delivery was under a week from production.

Reactions: whitex and cwerdna
From what I remember warranty starts when you take delivery of the vehicle. Since this is a CPO technically the warranty starts when the first owner took delivery. But this is a CPO where it gets iffy. Tesla have removed features when they touch their used vehicles just like how they disable the full self driving or remove unlimited free supercharging. Im not a lawyer and so not sure if they can legally change the terms for CPOs. Clearly they are just trying to get out of a battery warranty. Typical Elon's early hubris getting them in trouble later and tesla just refusing to fix.

Like others have said use carfax and bring up VIN and you can tell when the first owner got possession of the car and if you were within the 8 years battery warranty. Given tesla's track record on battery warranty, you will need to fight like hell to get them to honor it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna
honestly either way.. the chance of this car being DELIVERED February 8 years ago is uh... 1%? what scenario would cause a brand new hot car to sit for 2 months before delivery.. the owner was vacationing in monte carlo? he forgot he bought a car that he put a huge deposit on?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and Ohmster
This sounds like complete BS.

If the OP is not misunderstanding the SC's statements, then the SC staff should be ashamed of themselves. Date of Production has NOTHING to do with warranty coverage as every warranty I've ever read relates to Date of Sale to first buyer as the start date for the warranty, IIRC.

Second, that said, I doubt very many original Model S's sat for more than a week or two before being registered/sold. If so, then the OP is out of warranty and out of luck. Thus, sourcing a replacement battery or repairing their current battery will have to be researched. Recommend the OP begin here with Gruber Motors, and other options as shown:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjRHl8tpECei0UkoZfLE2hw/videos

And:

Electrified Garage Tesla Service Center

And:

057 Technology

Lastly, any competent recycling yard will be able to source an 85kWh replacement battery.

Good luck!

p.s. BTW, what was the Tesla SC's estimate to repair/replace the current battery?

Back in 2012/2013 Teslas were flying "off the shelves", there was no inventory to speak of. Demo cars were sold while you were test driving it (it actually happened to me, I test drove a car, put a deposit on it, got a call an hour later that someone else in New York (I was in Seattle) bought the car while I was still test driving it. There is little to no chance a car built in 2012 remained unsold for more than a week or two, maybe a month if it was brown (least popular color, though I don't remember when it was available).

As others have stated, run a carfax if you want to see the original registration date, but don't have your hopes up. Unless this car was some total manufacturing disaster and had some major issues to be fixed after production, it was delivered before the end of January 2013.

Last edited:
honestly either way.. the chance of this car being DELIVERED February 8 years ago is uh... 1%? what scenario would cause a brand new hot car to sit for 2 months before delivery.. the owner was vacationing in monte carlo? he forgot he bought a car that he put a huge deposit on?

many different factors

in Dec 2019 I purchased my 2017 Model S, with under 2k miles on it. From Tesla.
Was some sort of demo car or rep's car. But was in brand new overall condition.
I qualified for new car loan, and got the full new car warranty from Tesla since it was never titled before I purchased it.

• Helpful
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
many different factors

I qualified for new car loan, and got the full new car warranty from Tesla since it was never titled before I purchased it.

Yes, but this was 2012. Tesla built just over 3,000 Model S for the entire year. Each one was a custom order for a customer that had been waiting months, maybe years, to take delivery. They were generally delivered as soon as they were produced. They didn't sit around for months.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ogre
many different factors

we're talking about a different scenario here. 2012 was release year. you had to put a HUGE deposit on an unknown car company to even get a spot in line at that time. (or was it you had to pay the whole amount to preorder?) which is why i made the joke about going to vacation at monte carlo and forgetting you bought a car is probably the only way you can leave it sitting for 2 months. you had to have been an an absolute insane person to put down $60-100k in cash to a car company without a track record and without getting the car in months.

by 2019 they have a gluttony of inventory everywhere around the world

I believe that they have a performance warranty on the battery now, and I believe is 70% of the original capacity

My 75 had 249 miles originally so it would need to get to 174 at 100% to qualify for performance replacement. I'm currently getting about 200 miles @ 100%

I believe that they have a performance warranty on the battery now, and I believe is 70% of the original capacity
That is only for vehicles sold after they changed the warranty. All of the legacy Model S&Xs sold before that retained their original warranty which has no degradation warranty. (As long as it charges and drives the car they probably don't have to do anything under the warranty.)

Reactions: aerodyne and ucmndd