Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model s battery use question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone. I fully charged my 2019 75D and had a range of 277 miles. Max I have had from full charge in past is 284 (not the 305 as officially stated) but assume this is partly battery degradation and also it is getting colder (North west)

I used 102 miles of range for a round trip of 65 miles. The journey consisted of about 50 miles of Mway driving (80mph max) and at no point did i really put my foot down other when joining the Mway to get up to speed. The rest was city driving at normal speeds, no fast acceleration etc.

Is this kind of use per range normal? And i'm assuming it may get worse due to the winter weather creeping in.

Just want to be sure or if i need to call in a service. One thing i did notice, with the moisture in the air i did have moisture in the rear light clusters - it cleared so unsure if this is normal, or more a case of the units failing which is a known issue

Cheers
Jon

2018 100D
Always variables involved... if starting from cold then you have a penalty to cook car and battery and again for the return trip. Motorways speeds are above the sweet spot of range and then there's the simple matter of topography. Mine can vary from 287wh/m to nearly 500wh/m for the same regular local trip of 13 miles each way for shopping depending on time of year and whether I'm pootling along or hoofing it.
Your range would be way better at 65mph on motorways and probably make only 2-3 minutes journey difference. It's taken 50+ years of driving for me to finally grow up and rarely exceed speed limits and realty check is that most motorway distances end up averaging 60mph however fast you drive unless it's a rare dead quiet day on the roads or you own a German car with dispensations and drive like a pratt.

Upvote 0
2018 100D
Always variables involved... if starting from cold then you have a penalty to cook car and battery and again for the return trip. Motorways speeds are above the sweet spot of range and then there's the simple matter of topography. Mine can vary from 287wh/m to nearly 500wh/m for the same regular local trip of 13 miles each way for shopping depending on time of year and whether I'm pootling along or hoofing it.
Your range would be way better at 65mph on motorways and probably make only 2-3 minutes journey difference. It's taken 50+ years of driving for me to finally grow up and rarely exceed speed limits and realty check is that most motorway distances end up averaging 60mph however fast you drive unless it's a rare dead quiet day on the roads or you own a German car with dispensations and drive like a pratt.
You’ll find sitting at 60 on the Motorway makes a huge difference to energy consumption, with very little trade off in arrival time.
But you’ll also find that the quickest way to travel is at higher speeds with more frequent short stops (adding 30-50%) as these charge levels are faster than adding power over 80% SoC.
You’ll also find using the car for a few days shorter runs, that it’ll lose energy outside of driving. These kWhs spent heating etc can give you the illusion of less range. But if you charge then do a long economy run, you’ll see great returns from a Tesla.

Reactions: Jonnymack74
Upvote 0
Stick to 70 on the motorway because a) its the law, b) its more efficient, c) unless its 3am and you alone on the road, the extra 10mph and associated speeding up and slowing down will make no difference to your arrival time.

Preheat the car while plugged in if possible. Also I always find in the winter that the car has better range after a supercharge. Probably something to do with the battery getting up to temperature.

Upvote 0
I used 102 miles of range for a round trip of 65 miles. The journey consisted of about 50 miles of Mway driving (80mph max) and at no point did i really put my foot down other when joining the Mway to get up to speed. The rest was city driving at normal speeds, no fast acceleration etc.

As you have found the range figure is a moveable feast. You never have a set amount of range despite the impression given by the number you start out with. There are just so many variables. This is why a lot of people use displayed percentage, which is a representation of how much charge is left in the battery, rather than the (sometimes spurious) range figure. Psychologically you inevitably feel cheated if you see more miles coming off the range figure than you have actually travelled. Take a look at the Energy Graph on the car screen if you need to have an idea of how you are doing. This will give a more accurate picture of energy use and if you will have enough battery to get you where you are going.

The odd blast of acceleration makes much less difference to range than travelling continuously at a higher average speed. However, so long as you have enough range for where you have to go, or are happy to make a brief Supercharger stop, it's not worth worrying about saving a little just by going 5mph slower. In fact, as stated above, the fastest trips can often be done travelling at faster speeds but with an extra short Supercharger stop ... but you won't match your initially stated miles figure!

Actually it's doing several very short journey's in winter that will show the worst figures ... but that won't matter too much because the journeys are by definition short, so even if they used double the energy you will have plenty of battery to play with.

Reactions: Jonnymack74
Upvote 0