Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S battery warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2014 model S 16 has a battery issue presently. My power display shows that my power is limited to 200 kW instead of 250 kW. We’ve had Tesla do a cooling system diagnostic and they found a problem. Tesla continue to make recommendations and replaced our contactor for free. But none of this has solved the limited power output.
so today I picked the car up and they explained me that the reason for the power limit is increased resistance in the cells limiting the amperage out of the battery. This is a separate issue from Battery Capacity.
The battery warranty states eight years or 150,000 miles for a certain capacity degradation. Does anyone have any information about power output limited? I told the service guy that I would not let this go. He explained to me that the battery department in California and said that this was not a warranty issue, and that was all they had to say.

Attachments

• 0E2854E8-8DFF-40F5-9267-574030E9DCB8.jpeg
    0E2854E8-8DFF-40F5-9267-574030E9DCB8.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 128
The old (original?) battery warranty (which applies to your 2014 car) is for 8 years/unlimited miles. There is no specific guarantee against degradation.

Are you currently having a problem with range or is it just power output? If your range is not seriously impacted (e.g. charging to less than 100 miles) then I doubt they will consider it a battery claim.

I think he meant to say he has an S60 - which had a mileage warranty of just 150K miles - not unlimited. Regardless - it is odd to me that the car would detect an issue that would limit battery output but then dismiss it as not being an issue that should be covered under warranty. I am curious though if your range has dropped much as a result of this?

That's an interesting denial, kinda sheisty, but wholly inline with expectations for the current incarnation of Tesla as a company.

I suppose the corollary is reduced power output in ICE cars as the mileage piles up and the motor ages. It's well documented that combustion engines lose power as they wear and age - sometimes significantly. Surely that wouldn't be covered under any powertrain warranty associated with the car...

Our 2014 model S 16 has a battery issue presently. My power display shows that my power is limited to 200 kW instead of 250 kW. We’ve had Tesla do a cooling system diagnostic and they found a problem. Tesla continue to make recommendations and replaced our contactor for free. But none of this has solved the limited power output.
so today I picked the car up and they explained me that the reason for the power limit is increased resistance in the cells limiting the amperage out of the battery. This is a separate issue from Battery Capacity.
The battery warranty states eight years or 150,000 miles for a certain capacity degradation. Does anyone have any information about power output limited? I told the service guy that I would not let this go. He explained to me that the battery department in California and said that this was not a warranty issue, and that was all they had to say.

would be more interested in what the battery department deems a "warranty issue" these days anyway. they've got plenty of things its NOT

Reactions: rickyjb
I have exactly the same issue with my 60. The max power has been limited for probably getting on for a year now. The yellow dashes used to go away after a software update, but have not done so for some time

I have sent images to the Vancouver service centre so that a record is kept in case the pack fails completely, but it is somewhat disconcerting al the same, and I’d like it fixed before the eight year warranty is up (yes, I am below the maximum mileage for a 60)

6152E79F-1D5C-4E54-AE48-DD76922E30AA.jpeg