Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 Model S70D. It has 138,000 miles on it. I purchased it used, and the warranty for the battery will be up next year. My question is this: How much battery degradation would have to happen for them to justify replacing the battery under warranty? The range can be set to "realistic" or "ideal" and I don't really know how much I should typically get on a charge.

It's working fine now, but if I can get a new battery on warranty, I would obviously want to take advantage of that.

I think right now on "realistic" range mode, A full charge gets me 215 miles or so.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a 2015 Model S70D. It has 138,000 miles on it. I purchased it used, and the warranty for the battery will be up next year. My question is this: How much battery degradation would have to happen for them to justify replacing the battery under warranty? The range can be set to "realistic" or "ideal" and I don't really know how much I should typically get on a charge.

It's working fine now, but if I can get a new battery on warranty, I would obviously want to take advantage of that.

I think right now on "realistic" range mode, A full charge gets me 215 miles or so.
At full charge, what does it say your rated range is? Brand new US EPA rated range for a 2015 S70D is 240 miles (realistically, about 229 miles with perfect [slow] driving style and weather).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At full charge, what does it say your rated range is? Brand new US EPA rated range for a 2015 S70D is 240 miles (realistically, about 229 miles with perfect [slow] driving style and weather).
I'll have to check and get back on this. I think about 215. Do you think brand new on "realistic" mode, new it would show 240 miles? Or is that in "ideal" mode? I feel like my standard range model 3 never showed the full range it said it would have. Anyway, I'll charge it to 100% soon and report back.

Upvote 0
I'll have to check and get back on this. I think about 215. Do you think brand new on "realistic" mode, new it would show 240 miles? Or is that in "ideal" mode? I feel like my standard range model 3 never showed the full range it said it would have. Anyway, I'll charge it to 100% soon and report back.
At full charge, on "realistic" mode, I show 213 miles. Does anyone know what it would have been brand new? Would it be 240 miles?

Upvote 0
Right, but I feel like when we got our model 3, fully charged it wasn't all the way up to the EPA range. I am curious if that is where these start, where (in "realistic" mode, they charge up to 240?
I know the EPA range was 240 new, and I know the actual range is shorter than that. But what would the range actually read fully charged in miles when this car was bought new? Could I charge it up and see 240 miles in the readout in realistic mode?

Upvote 0
I know the EPA range was 240 new, and I know the actual range is shorter than that. But what would the range actually read fully charged in miles when this car was bought new? Could I charge it up and see 240 miles in the readout in realistic mode?

If the EPA range was 240 for your car, then your car fully charged when brand new should have shown 240 "Rated" miles.

My car was EPA rated 265 miles of range. When it was delivered to me brand new, the car at 100% SOC was showing 265 miles.

Reactions: springdaisy82
Upvote 0
It also depends on if you are in the US or EU They use different range estimates. US uses EPA. The numbers differ. All I see is Rated Range (EPA) and Ideal.
Rated is a calculation based on the EPA average for the KW left (in US), Ideal is the fantasy-land estimate (55 MPH on flat-land, no wind, when the moon is in the seventh house...).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the help guys. Even though we only have 213 miles range, the car is awesome. We took a trip from Washoougal WA down to Bend, OR, and then to Crator Lake, to Myrtle Beach, and then back up to Washougal. I was only nervous a couple times (mostly due to me lack of experience in 100 degree weather with the AC on)...but it all worked out really well. We had 5 adult size people in the car and all our stuff, including an inflatable Kayak that fits in the trunk. I was impressed with the car, and enjoyed the free supercharging.

Upvote 0