Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S below 4409 lbs (2000 kg) - posible ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
now that the official weight is known (4647 lbs) I have looked into how this will affekt me (ofcouse)
I asume (hope) this weight is for a model S performance version with all options and a lot of extra stuff.

My concern is due to the fact that we here in denmark have a heavy import tax on cars (180%) - witch would make the model S cost + 130.000$ + shipment, total estiamted 150.000$ (for the base model) and for the performance model it would be aprox 300.000$....bad.

Lucky me, the goverment have mede a exception for pure EV cars (fisher karma can not quallify) - no import tax at all, only VAT (25%) is added - how-ever this require the car to weight less than 2000 kg (4409 lbs) and it must re registed before 2015 (may be extended, but for now its 2015)
this is great as the model S estimated price would be comparable to a Audi A4, since this will be added 180% tax :) - should I choise between model S and a A4, I would select the Model S :smile:

I was planing to go for the 85 kw with most of the options, but as I can figure out, this will not be posible, I guess the 40 kw version will weight less so maybe the will still qualify for the "no import tax"
any other options to lower the weight - solid roof ? - I need to lower by 240 lbs to make it finacially realistic here in denmark, I guess extra rear seat is no longer a option...

btw. sorry for the spelling, Im not native english speeking, and hope you may be able to read/understand

smaller rims, no paint armor, maybe take out the side windows. 240 lbs is alot. See if you can get Carlson ultralight rims, that should save you about 100 lbs. If you could have the rear seats installed after, that may be weight savings also

Talk with your Tesla rep to see if they can remove parts of the car and have it assembled at your home after you register it or weigh it. A big savings would be if the pack could be removed to meet the weight limit.

smaller rims, no paint armor, maybe take out the side windows. 240 lbs is alot. See if you can get Carlson ultralight rims, that should save you about 100 lbs. If you could have the rear seats installed after, that may be weight savings also

Talk with your Tesla rep to see if they can remove parts of the car and have it assembled at your home after you register it or weigh it. A big savings would be if the pack could be removed to meet the weight limit.

European models with have a third charger on board also, adding even more weight!

good point with the ultra light rims, how-ever it does have to be official factory rims - so the official weight (on paper) is correct - it will not be dependent on weight uppon register, but based on official numbers.
hope tesla will offer this as a option.
as far as I know, we do not yet know what the 40 / 60 kw will weight - or does anyone ?

I haven't seen anything official on the weight of the car with different battery packs however, I have seen plenty of speculation on TMC that they all weigh the same due to crash testing requirements, suspension settings etc....

good point with the ultra light rims, how-ever it does have to be official factory rims - so the official weight (on paper) is correct - it will not be dependent on weight uppon register, but based on official numbers.
hope tesla will offer this as a option.
as far as I know, we do not yet know what the 40 / 60 kw will weight - or does anyone ?

pure speculation on battery weight.
The cells in the car from panasonic weight aprox 46 g and there are aprox 8000 of them in the 85 kwh. this makes the batterys weight aprox 386 kg + other stof for the comple pack (for the 85 kwh), the 40 kwh pack consist of fewer cells - asume 5000 = 230 kg

The dif going from 85 kwh to 40 kwh in weight could be aprox 156 kg (343 lbs)
as far as I remember 60 kwh should hold the same number of cells, so asume not mutch weight saved.

it looks like I will have to settel with the 40 kwh battery pack, would prefere the 60 or 85 kwh but seams not like a option (at least where I live). on the positive side, I save a few $ downgrading to 40 kwh

Did some one mentioned "battery swap" in 15 min :)

Can you contact your legislators or other officials to see if exceptions can be made? Perhaps find out what the intention of the 2000 kg limit is? Maybe they can add the Model S specifically as a car that is allowed in the incentive program.

If I had to guess, I would assume that the weight restriction was to make sure that this incentive only applies consumer passenger vehicles, not commercial or utility vehicles (they do exist, check here: Plug-in Vehicle Tracker | Plug In America).

Hi NielsChr

I have a similar problem - my Sig would jump from approx. DKK 750,000 to just above DKK 2,000,000.

I just got of the phone with a rep from the danish Tesla Store in Copenhagen, and he told me that he knew of this issue. He has been told that the 2000 kg limit would not be enforced in regards to the Model S. He did however promise research this further, and has promised me a call within a week with his findings.

I'll update this thread once he does.

Here is the reply I received two days ago from Stephen Smith of Tesla in response to an email asking whether the smaller battery pack cars would weigh less:

"With regards to your question about battery and the relation to weight, I honestly do not have an answer for you at this time. We released that the car’s weight at 4,647.3 with the 85 kWh battery, but it is unclear to me at this time if that will be the weight for all battery configurations, or if the car will get lighter with each step down in battery. I don’t think it is a necessity to keep the vehicle at the same weight, so it is entirely possible that cars with lower batteries will weight slightly less than their higher energy holding counterparts."

I have only seen this information about the weight limit at 1 (one) site - now you shoulden't belive in anything found on the net. the information could be outdated og even wrong.
all other places does not mention this weight limit.

I've tryed to investigate further and found a threat discussing this isu (not related to Tesla EV, but in regard to modify existing ICE to EV) - they asked the "færdselsstyrelsen" by mail and got this reply

tax office said:
Reply author: Ejvind
Replied on: 11 Dec 2009 10:06:23
Hej Krogh
Nu har jeg fået er skriftligt svar fra SKAT og det lyder som følger:
Jeg kan bekræfte, at afgiftsfritagelsen for el-biler gælder alle former for el-drevne køretøjer

Med venlig hilsen
Jørn Nysum Schoop
Motor
Koordinering og planlægning

Østbanegade 123, 2100 København Ø
E-mail: [email protected]
Telefon: (+45) 72 37 37 71

This seam to indicate that there is infact NOT a weight limit, though it would be nice to have confirmed that Tesla Model S will not be added car import TAX when imported in 2012/2013
I would also prefere to by a larger battery pack, but should it be "Clever"(former "Choose EV") have just anounced they are ready with 50 quick charge stations in denmark, so range is no longer a isue in demark - you will never need to worry

I would also prefere to by a larger battery pack, but should it be "Clever"(former "Choose EV") have just anounced they are ready with 50 quick charge stations in denmark, so range is no longer a isue in demark - you will never need to worry

You are assuming then, that Tesla will release a CHAdeMO adapter or fit the EU models with a CHAdeMO port ? Otherwise, the Clever QCs will be useless to Model S owners, just like all the QCs in Norway...