Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model s beta prototype tour: Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe they already have leasing available for the Roadster in Canada, so the Model S should be a no-brainer.

I hope so, since what I really need is a model X, but the S is just too sexy (and is the only car that can actually pitch in for the X or our current minivan with the rear-facing seats). A lease would allow stress-free transition from one to the other.

As well, my current lease expires in May 2013, too early for an X... so unfortunate... :wink:

I may also consider buying and trading in my S if Tesla makes it financially viable, but an S lease would allow me more time to save for a purchased performance X :cool:

My wife was with me at the Carrefour Laval, and she said the S looks sharp, high praise from her since she couldn't care less about cars (except our AWD Sienna, which she loves).

Last edited:
I had a great day with my dad flying in and out of Toronto! We spoke with Hans, Ranger Mark and a few others, and all my questions were answered (although several were still, "we don't have official word yet"). Everyone was personable and friendly, including the people just looking at the Model S. Since the reps were pretty busy, I also helped answer a few questions from those completely new to Tesla. I took a lot of pics for my wife, met a few forum members who aren't super-active, and then, to top it all off, I met Dave who took me for a ride in his Roadster Sport around the mall! THANKS!! :D

The car in person looks really nice, but I'm still torn between Sig Red and Pearl White, and I like carbon fiber the best (but I there's no way I'm convincing my wife to go for performance). I may get the white leather, it isn't super-white, actually fairly comparable to a vehicle I've had before. I'll just keep it clean, and I don't wear jeans anyway. I found the interior very nice (apart from where over-eager spectators have literally broken the car); I like the simple look, and I never use cupholders anyway. The 10% of the interior not finished (at least in Beta #44) is stuff like missing sun visors and there will be compartments in the centre console; the USB plugin will be somewhere beside the 12V plugin, and there will be space for a cellphone (not sure if that's been mentioned, probably somewhere on this large forum!).

The head Canadian technician (forget his name) was clear that Canadian winters are absolutely not a problem for batteries - it is the extreme hot weather that will be the problem. I found out that the 110V plug adapter actually is useful (since it is so slow) - basically for the times when you just need to keep the car heated in winter (ie. long-term airport parking).

Canadian pricing is not yet released, but "will be soon" (as in within weeks, not likely days, according to Hans). If I recall correctly, Ranger fees will be .65/km from the nearest Tesla store/repair centre. September 2013 I will be taking a road trip to Calgary to eliminate the distance fee for my annual checkup (by then there should be Tesla presence there). Warranty work will not have this charge at all. If it's minor non-warranty things like needing new rims, they'll ship out the parts and let us do our own installation if we are comfortable doing this (that's what it sounded like, anyway, not 100%).

I'm tired, hopefully the above is all lucid! Great day!

Hey KBF. It was great to see you and your father's enthusiasm for Tesla Motors and the Model S. Thanks for flying in from Manitoba to see the car on display in Toronto. I overheard you answering many people's questions about the vehicle while it was being shown at Sherway Mall.

I was glad to give you a ride in my Roadster Sport since you are such a Tesla fan but had not had a chance to "go for a stroll" in one of these amazing EVs.

You and your wife will be very happy to be the Model S #1 owners in Canada. Hope you had a wonderful visit!

Glad you had a great time at the Wednesday event Kyle and I'm sorry that my schedule did not permit me to attend...I'll be heading down this afternoon with mnx to see the S...hope not too much is broken on it. :scared:

Nice of David to provide both you and your Pop a Roadster ride!

Better get used to being an unofficial "Tesla Rep" as it comes with the territory! :wink:

I'm not sure between the Sig Red & white as well...I think I prefer the Red, but it will be my wife's choice in the end.

I found the best way to deal with (the wife on) the Performance Model was not to deal with it...what she doesn't know...:wink::biggrin:

Last edited:
Like I said to others there: I've been happily married to my wife for 10 years this June, and I want that to continue! :D My dad seems to be warming up to Tesla; he was skeptical at first, and around me he still tries to be devil's advocate (which is good, more perspectives is healthy). It was great he could come with me, so he could talk to these reps himself. I'm working on him to try him to pick up a Sig, but we'll see.

BTW, Tesla owners are great!!! I'm looking forward to continuing that trend. ;) Hopefully I'll convince enough people in my area to buy to bring Tesla into Winnipeg!

Better get used to being an unofficial "Tesla Rep" as it comes with the territory! :wink:

I was there on Wednesday between 11am and 2pm as well. I certainly felt like somewhat of a Tesla rep as people were asking me questions that I happened to have the answers to. However the one concern I couldn't help some of them with was price! Too bad I missed getting a ride in a Roadster. I saw Doug at the Auto show and he offered me a ride next time I'm in Ottawa which would be great.

This may not interest many who are not getting the third row seats but according to Eli, or the another rep??, the rear facing third row seats (absent from the display car) may not be able to be folded let alone folded flat. They seem to think they may be fixed although you will be able to remove them altogether. This configuration would not appeal to me as they would not be used on a regular basis. I would like to have them out of the way but still easily accessible. The US website does state they are fold flat. We'll have to check on this one.

Also, Eli indicated that the reason the suspension is not able to be adjusted on this display car is that a software upgrade was performed on the main control unit (??) which was incompatible with the older firmware of the suspension, rendering it inoperable.

Can't wait for test drives in July! Hans, please get a car with rear facing seats and a pano roof!

I must have just missed you Ryan...I had to leave around noon to get back home, swap vehicles, and get back down to YYZ to pick up my wife who was flying back from Portland.

As it turned out, her flight was delayed for 90 minutes...had I known, I could have stayed a bit longer.

I must have just missed you Ryan...I had to leave around noon to get back home, swap vehicles, and get back down to YYZ to pick up my wife who was flying back from Portland.

As it turned out, her flight was delayed for 90 minutes...had I known, I could have stayed a bit longer.
Yep, the female Tesla rep said you were there earlier in the day.

Quite crowded, between 10-30 people around the car at all times. Got to play with the touchscreen for a bit - it's intuitive for the most part, though it did have some unexpected behavior occasionally. One thing I noticed was the volume control went from 0-10, and the individual steps between each were quite large -- most people would be used to having a finer-grained control of volume than that. Of course the trade off is repeated tapping on the screen to adjust each step. Perhaps there's another screen or mode with a sliding bar...

The best part of being there was people-watching. Some knew of Tesla and were quite educated about the Model S. Others were attracted by the crowd and then were stunned or confused to find the 'frunk' without an engine. None of the displays touted the fact that the car is an EV -- interesting and I think intentional on Tesla's part.

One thing I noticed was the volume control went from 0-10, and the individual steps between each were quite large -- most people would be used to having a finer-grained control of volume than that. Of course the trade off is repeated tapping on the screen to adjust each step. Perhaps there's another screen or mode with a sliding bar...

Steering wheel has a roller knob

Did anyone here go to the Calgary event? It would be interesting to know how well-attended it is.

I was at the Calgary event yesterday (the first day) from about 2:00 to 4:30. It was at the center of the Chinook mall below the food court, which was in a prominent position that had good views from multiple hallways and from above.
It had a few people earlier on (about 2-5 at all times) but really picked up at about 3:30 to 4:00 or so where there were 5-10 people at least milling about the booth.
There were 3 Tesla staff available.

Excuse my poor photography, but here's my album from the event. The overhead shots are mainly from my iPhone 3GS as I ran the batteries in my camera dry by that time.
Photos - Google+

Pic from 4:30-ish:
Photos - Google+

Some notes:
- It is still VIN #44, Signature red, black Signature interior with Lacewood, non-panoramic roof, 21" rims, regular sound system. Rear seats have no headrests but they should be in production version. There's no jump seats or cargo shelf.
It was mentioned that this was a road test car so should have batteries and motor, but was not street legal in Canada yet.

- Outer door handles were disabled and were marked as such. Alas they were "disabled by the engineers" so they could not give me a demo. The inner handles worked fine.
Photos - Google+

- Frunk was missing the latch on the frunk/hood itself so I didn't try closing it. It has an emergency interior release in the frunk.

- Trunk lock was working, I suspect this was the non-tech-package trunk, as while it did unlock and open automatically, it only looked like gas shocks and did not have a motorized closing mechanism that I can tell.

- Trunk has 2 convenient grab handles for the outside plus what looks like 1 for the inside.
Photos - Google+

- Rear seats fold reasonably flat in a 60-40 split. There's a secondary flap near the back of each seat which covers over the seam between seat and floor nicely.
Photos - Google+

- Rear view visibility is a bit limited for shoulder/rear view mirror checks
Photos - Google+
Photos - Google+
Photos - Google+

- Most lights were disabled (no fog lights, no daytime running lights), only headlights, parking lights, accent lights, signal lights are enabled

- Accent lights are on the interior, below the "arm rest" portions of the doors (in the notch below the arm rest, to the rear of the window controls) to provide some diffuse light in the cabin.
Photos - Google+
(photo does not show accent light in operation though)

- Front driver/passenger heating/AC vents are very flimsy and currently not adjustable in this beta but I was told they would be in the production version.
Photos - Google+

- Touchscreen software is not current and is missing a few options (no bluetooth pairing, no air adjustment, selecting AM or FM radios indicate "Coming soon", etc.)

- Likewise the steering wheel roller controls ("push to change display" function mentioned in other threads) did not seem to do anything on this version. Holding the right roller down appeared to activate a voice control mode but I didn't test it.

- The infotainment touchscreen "locked up" when I was playing with it, but it watchdog reset itself and came back up a minute or two after. The dash screen continued working other than the music panel part of went to background color until the infotainment touchscreen came back up.

- The steering wheel adjustment in/out and tilt is motorized and has a huge range.

- They still had banana leaf in the physical design studio but mentioned that it was changed to Obeche Wood.

- They are aware that grey interior is for November but that should be okay for us because that is when first Canadian production cars are expected.

- It was running on the 3G internet. It was mentioned that it is a SIM card, but they are unsure if the SIM will be Tesla or customer provided - they are still working that out.

- Browser is not capable of viewing flash videos; the Tesla blog videos prompted that it needed flash.

- One thing that I was relieved of was the nose body panel appears to be plastic, not aluminum, so it will probably take parking lot scuffs and bumps a bit better than metal.

- Canadian pricing expected soon.

I dropped by yesterday morning at 10am (mall opens at 9:30 I believe) and Telsa was busier than I had hoped, was selfishly hoping I would be the only one interested :tongue:

I was there for almost half an hour and it seemed like they drew in about half of the people walking by to stop and look, jump in the frunk or ask a question. Sure hope they have more than 2 staff for Friday and Saturday as I would expect they will be overrun. I'm planning to head down again on Saturday afternoon with some family so let you know.

photo.JPG