Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Beta Test "Rides" and the Fremont, CA, Factory tour!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, someone from Tesla told me that October 1st is the date but also indicated that it is starting to look like there may be so many people it will actually have to be over 2 days....

I will be in Europe on Oct 1. My Customer Advocate told me "there will be several opportunities in the coming months to get to know Model S", so interpret that as you will. I am hoping for at least a couple in October (one hopefully after my trip), and it looks like more to follow. Those not able to make October 1 might not be able to make October 2 either, nor either October 8, perhaps.

I'm going to be in Michigan September 24rd and 25th. I gave the dutch sales rep a call today and he told me that he didn't had an exact date yet.

Is the october 1st confirmed somewhere? If so, I'll book a extra flight to make a detour from Detroit to SF, drive the Model S and back again to Holland.

I was told we would get the dates somewhere (probably end of) this week, but I really need to book my plane tickets.

Same here. I need to get this scheduled. Email from the 12th said the official date would be given in "about 10 days". That would be "about" today. :)

Can't wait to see this thing in person. I hope the Beta's get super close to the looks of the prototypes.

Here Elon mentioned October 1st:

FLATOW: Uh-huh. Well, let's talk about something more that you do know about, your car company. When do we expect to see a Tesla that's come down, your second-generation car?

MUSK: So that's all looking really good. We're planning to deliver the Model S to the customers in the middle of next year. And then on October 1, we're going to have a big customer ride event and factory tour, so - it's exclusively for customers that have put down a deposit on our Model S sedan. And I think they'll be really blown away by the capabilities of the car. It's, yeah, I think it's really going to be - really going to love it when they see what it's like.

EDIT:
20 minutes after my post, i got a mail with the invitation:
middle1.jpg

Last edited:
Just got the invite.

Yes, got it as well. 48-hour RSVP window. And, that does look like the Beta in the picture in the email - not the prototype. The fog lamps are definitely different from the proto and the alphas - that part is a combination of the air intakes we saw on the alphas and something that does resemble smaller fog lamps?!

model-s-beta.png

Yes, got it as well. 48-hour RSVP window. And, that does look like the Beta in the picture in the email - not the prototype. The fog lamps are definitely different from the proto and the alphas - that part is a combination of the air intakes we saw on the alphas and something that does resemble smaller fog lamps?!

View attachment 2408

Is it just me or does the little side blinker thingie behind the wheel look different as well? The earlier versions had a much more pronounced T logo on it I think...

Differences detected:
  • New air intakes (of course).
  • Air dam now projects forward rather like Roadster 2.5.
  • Wheel has one more spoke and large central hub has gone away.
  • Logo on side is simplified.
  • Mirror profile more angular.
  • Looks like more of a crease under the headlight.
  • Can see something along the underside of the door. Trim? Sill? Just a reflection?

Some things I noticed:

-Gap at the base of the A-Pillar (either I like it, I hate it, or I don't care...can't figure out which...)
-Mirror placement on the door.
-Trim on bottom of mirror.
-I think we can see a glimpse of the beta interior! (Not much though...)

Maybe it's the extra trimmings, but the front end looks much better than the alpha, in my opinion. Still most prefer the rounded front end of the prototype, but given real-world constraints (need a front air dam for cooling/adequate bumper & safety protection), overall things are remarkably similar to the prototype. I'd say Tesla's stayed fairly close to the prototype design, which is more than can be said about most car companies.

I love that latest red color!

The invite states the event will be the EVENING of Oct. 1st. Unfortunately I will be up at Murphys attending a Don Henley concert; I had hoped Tesla would do a daytime event to be able to attend both venues. Setting my scheduling conflict aside, I wonder how will Tesla accommodate all the attendee's ride requests with the shortened evening event rather than a day long event.

I RSVP'd since I only had 48 hours to decide, but there's a good chance I can't actually make it. The pictures above, if that's really the Beta, look great. The Alpha was a disappointment to me, but the Beta seems to have shifted back a little to the smoother contours of the Prototype.