Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I might be in the minority but I think the new (Beta 1) dashboard looks better than the old (Alpha) one. Maybe it is because the dashboard is broken up by the wood, though. It does look a bit barren and unexciting with the touchscreen off but if it's off then the Model S would probably be lacking occupants.

I find it funny that people (on Facebook, at least) are complaining about the touchscreen. The glare comments are somewhat valid but that one seems very obvious to me as something that Tesla would find ways to prevent it (and test for it as much as possible). As for the lack of knobs, I'd bet that almost everyone looks down to adjust knobs in their current vehicle, even after knowing where they are. If they are worried about getting the screen dirty (etc.) just get a screen protector like almost everyone gets on their smartphones. Those are incredibly cheap and easy to clean and the touchscreen still works!

You're not in a minority; I like the new interior too, and I'm sure many others do. The complainers are usually louder.

As for glare, I could see that they shielded the console from overhead light. I think you'd have to evaluate it from the driver's seat before coming to any conclusions.

I think you'd have to evaluate it from the driver's seat before coming to any conclusions.

Yea. I was actually wondering if this is one of the reasons that the screen is cocked toward the driver. It seems to me that by doing that you would change the angle at which the sun would glare on the screen. Perhaps making it so that the sun needs to be much lower in the sky than it typically is during the day to cause a real issue.

It's nowhere near as big, but my wife's Ford Edge has a pretty serious touch screen. It does have the primary controls duplicated in physical buttons, but I find that as a passenger I always use the touchscreen, and as a driver I use the steering wheel controls or the voice control. I'm not concerned about not having physical buttons in the center stack.

I have no issues with the lack of knobs or buttons (well, it could take some getting used to, but it's not a complaint). I have an issue with the "visual impact". The new dash looks much more angular and "plain" to me. The prototype just felt more complete somehow.

Hey, when they revealed the plain black nosecone on the Alphas there was a similar reaction and they ended up cleaning that up, so I guess we'll see.

*edit* copy/pasted the beta/prototype dash images to a few people on my skype/AIM list and so far 4/5 random buddies agree the prototype looks better.

In looking over it though, I realized the prototype has zero in the way of HVAC vents in the center.

Last edited:
If they are worried about getting the screen dirty (etc.) just get a screen protector like almost everyone gets on their smartphones. Those are incredibly cheap and easy to clean and the touchscreen still works!

I'm not sure if a screen protector would work, actually. From what I read, the infotainment screen will use IR and not capacitive like smart phones are. This also means that it will work with driving gloves (while your smart phone will not). Anyway, I'm not sure how a screen protector will affect this technology.

I'll add to the disappointment of the "interior look" of the Beta. I sat in it a couple of times and while the huge touchscreen is visually appealing everything else around it looks really bad to the point of looking cheap. I wish they had kept the alpha look for the interior. As someone else mentioned it looks very angular and doesnt really do it for me. I'm ok with having no knobs though and if they clean up the look of the dash I might be once again sold. That being said I'm glad they have a "night mode" for the touchscreen since that was another concern I had (that the screen would be too big and bright at night).

I'm in a wait and watch mode right now. While I love the car and technology, the beta interior just didnt do it for me and the only color I like is the Red which is only available on the signature and not on the Base 160 which I was going to get.

@fairlycool, you may like the muir red which is a general color. As for the day/night mode, most navs have something like that (triggered manually or by your lights being turned on). My concern is if the apps will follow suit. Nothing like having that rogue app that is bright no matter what on a drive down a dark road one night...

The changes from Alpha to Beta on the exterior were pretty good. I loved the prototype and really didn't like the Alpha (lines were too harsh), but the Beta shows the attention given to the exterior. Given they've got to get the stamping and robots geared, focusing on the exterior made sense. If they can make the kind of progress with the interior over the next 6 months that they made with the exterior in the last 6 months then I suspect it'll be pretty nice.

@ckessel I hope they do. The interior is where you spend most of your time and like I said the Beta (other than the touchscreen) was pretty meh. I know people are raving about the wood, but I thought it was too shiny and pretty cheap looking. Even the vents looks oddly placed and the whole effect was a little bit of a letdown. I hope you're right though and in 6 months we see a much better interior

I loved the look in the pictures of the interiors on the website, but that was a lightly colored interior with the Banana Leaf wood panels. This all black interior from the facebook page I agree looked a lot less refined. For black interiors I agree the alpha/prototype looked a lot better. I'm still guessing some refinement will do wonders even for the black interior.
Another question for those of you that have been in the betas, where's the storage in the front row. There seems to be no door pockets, I've yet to see the glove box, there just seems to be 2 cup holders and a huge tray in the "transmission tunnel". Where will I put all my junk?

Cobos

I loved the look in the pictures of the interiors on the website, but that was a lightly colored interior with the Banana Leaf wood panels. This all black interior from the facebook page I agree looked a lot less refined. For black interiors I agree the alpha/prototype looked a lot better. I'm still guessing some refinement will do wonders even for the black interior.
Another question for those of you that have been in the betas, where's the storage in the front row. There seems to be no door pockets, I've yet to see the glove box, there just seems to be 2 cup holders and a huge tray in the "transmission tunnel". Where will I put all my junk?

Cobos

Cobos, in the photo I've included just look below the screen and would give you an indication of what may come in the form of storage.
20-tesla-model-s-beta-fd-628.jpg

Thanks for all of the photos guys.

I'm having trouble with the visual balance of the Beta dash. There's something that feels a bit retro in the styling and use of shapes which I don't think can be solved by simply swapping in a different skin/theme on the touch pad.

It feels like a dash from an older vehicle, although I can't quite put my finger on the right decade.

Thanks for all of the photos guys.

I'm having trouble with the visual balance of the Beta dash. There's something that feels a bit retro in the styling and use of shapes which I don't think can be solved by simply swapping in a different skin/theme on the touch pad.

It feels like a dash from an older vehicle, although I can't quite put my finger on the right decade.

I second that. Something simply doesn't fit. Too many different surface (color, structure). Too many edges. Too many different angles and corners.

Thats the word I was looking for. The beta interior is very "retro" looking. I'm still high on this brand and the car itself. Hopefully this will not make it in its current state into final production.