Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S bluetooth issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
Has anyone else had trouble getting their phone to pair? When it was delivered, it took about 10 minutes to pair my iPhone 4S. It worked until yesterday when it took maybe 15 attempts and was finally able to get it to pair again. I wonder if there is a certain sequence you're supposed to take to get it to recognize the phone (start with Model S then go to iPhone maybe).

Has anyone else had trouble getting their phone to pair? When it was delivered, it took about 10 minutes to pair my iPhone 4S. It worked until yesterday when it took maybe 15 attempts and was finally able to get it to pair again. I wonder if there is a certain sequence you're supposed to take to get it to recognize the phone (start with Model S then go to iPhone maybe).

Do you have a lot of contacts? I know some cars have issues downloading large phone books.

Yesterday I dropped by the Menlo Park showroom. I sat in the silver-with-black-roof demo car, tapped the Bluetooth logo at the top of the 17" screen, opened the Bluetooth prefs on my iPhone (4S running iOS 6), then tapped the button on the 17" to look for devices. It showed up within a few seconds, I tapped the button to accept, then tapped the button on the phone to confirm the displayed code. Done. I was able to play music and use Siri via the Bluetooth connection.

OTOH, at the August Get Amped event in Palo Alto, I saw somebody else having no success getting their phone paired. It seemed to be a timing issue -- the dialog appeared on the 17" for a split second, then disappeared. He was never able to tap it in time.

OTOH, at the August Get Amped event in Palo Alto, I saw somebody else having no success getting their phone paired. It seemed to be a timing issue -- the dialog appeared on the 17" for a split second, then disappeared. He was never able to tap it in time.

That's the issue I'm having at times. It will say something like use code 576934 to pair and there is a 'pair' button but it will only stay for less than half a second and the next message will say 'make sure your device is in range' or something. I have a feeling things need to be done in a particular order.

That's the issue I'm having at times. It will say something like use code 576934 to pair and there is a 'pair' button but it will only stay for less than half a second and the next message will say 'make sure your device is in range' or something. I have a feeling things need to be done in a particular order.

Put your phone under the display and try again. Seems as if the bluetooth has a short range/directional antenna.

EDIT: Bluetooth keyboard does not pair w/ Model S.

Last edited:
My iPhone paired almost instantly with the MS, however, it took a dump today and will not pair at all. Don't know if the problem is with the iPhone or the MS.

Sent an email message to the San Rafael Service Center and Steve Bainbridge, the service manager, gave me a quick fix which worked. Delete the MS from the iPhone, delete the iPhone from the MS and start the process of pairing. Worked like a charm

Last edited:
I've found the streaming to be glitchy with either slacker or blue tooth pandora through iphone 5. This could be the signal, maybe it's AT&T or ? on occasion the song gets cut and my phone gets dropped and then I can't get it to recognize the phone again till I reenter the car. so far I am a bit disappointed with this, I've never had this kind of an issue with my past blue tooth enabled cars. To be fair, I have not taken it in or even let them know it's happening. I figure once I get 3-5K miles on it, i'll be willing to let it go for a few days to let them sure up a few minor things.

Alternately, I just remove and re-add the Bluetooth device which has worked the one or two times in 3 months where my iPhone 5 would not pair.

On the two occasions that I rebooted the display, Bluetooth would not initialize therefore it was not possible to pair the phone with the Model S. After the reboot everything worked fine.

Larry

I am in the habit of turning off my WiFi and Bluetooth on my Galaxy SIII to save battery during the day at work. I have found that, for my phone, the WiFi MUST BE ON to connect via bluetooth to the car. I have no idea why this is and I have searched to try to figure out why. The other thing that I have noticed is that the connection is much more consistent if I have bluetooth on when the car wakes (when entering the car). If I turn it on in the car I have to do a "little dance" to get the connection up.

Other than that the car connects everytime to my previous iPhone 4S and now GSIII.

Not exactly a bluetooth issue per se. I have successfully paired an iPhone 5 and Blackberry but I get the following strange behavior. The car appears appropriately set to be on Eastern time (perhaps identified through GPS location?), but it assumes the phones are on Pacific time and adds 3 hours to the times in the call histories. So this morning at 9:30 I looked at call history, and a call I made at 8:15 was showing as taking place in the future, at 11:15. Odd.

Anyone else have this issue? Ideas on how to address? Both phones know they are in Eastern time zone.