Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S bluetooth issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, I did the reboot and now the car won't recognize my phone at all and no remedy. TM says I need some special fix requiring a quick visit to the local service center, heading down soon, will report back after.

Sorry to hear that. Hope the screen reset wasn't the cause. Have you tried removing the Model S from your phone and trying it again?

Can anyone say if 4.3 has helped bluetooth connectivity? My iPhone 5 pairs just fine, but the car will frequently "lose" the bluetooth signal when I'm playing music from my iPhone (either stored music or Spotify).

It's incredibly disruptive and frustrating.

Can anyone say if 4.3 has helped bluetooth connectivity? My iPhone 5 pairs just fine, but the car will frequently "lose" the bluetooth signal when I'm playing music from my iPhone (either stored music or Spotify).

It's incredibly disruptive and frustrating.

I'm still on 4.2 and my iPhone 4 connectivity has been rock solid. I stream music (podcasts, actually) all the time and it has never once skipped a beat. Not sure if this is an iPhone 4 vs. iPhone 5 issue, but whatever... I'm happy.

I was trying to get information on this same issue before. I was afraid I was the only one.
See post: Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues - Page 148

I am using an iPhone 5. I have noticed that my phone connects 99% of the time when I get in. Only once did I have problems connecting. But once connected, I often get choppy audio when I am streaming audio from the phone. I tried putting the phone directly under the display, because I was trying to hear what the podcasters were saying, and that did help (although it still wasn't perfect). Then at other times the bluetooth audio streaming works well. I also checked to see if it was weak battery, but it wasn't (it still happens when the phone is plugged in charging). What is also unusual is that I could be getting choppy bluetooth audio streaming when listening to music, but then when I get a call, the hands free bluetooth works flawlessly. That makes no sense to me.

I also get problems with Slacker streaming over 3G, but that might be signal strength issues (but it might not), but it is really frustrating when I can't hear my iPhone source, and I can't hear Slacker, I'm stuck with live radio.

I hope 4.3 fixes this.

My car recently lost the ability to sync contacts with my phone. All settings on the car and phone were correct and unchanged. The car would show Recent Calls, but only the phone numbers, no names. And all recent calls were said to occur in December of 1969. A very nice trick since my birth was still a few months away at the time...

Rebooting didn't fix the issue nor did disconnecting and reconnecting the phone. Having the car and phone completely forget each other and then reconnect did the trick for now.

I am using an iPhone 5. I have noticed that my phone connects 99% of the time when I get in. Only once did I have problems connecting. But once connected, I often get choppy audio when I am streaming audio from the phone. I tried putting the phone directly under the display, because I was trying to hear what the podcasters were saying, and that did help (although it still wasn't perfect). Then at other times the bluetooth audio streaming works well. I also checked to see if it was weak battery, but it wasn't (it still happens when the phone is plugged in charging). What is also unusual is that I could be getting choppy bluetooth audio streaming when listening to music, but then when I get a call, the hands free bluetooth works flawlessly. That makes no sense to me.

Yes, this is my exact experience. 4.3 is set to install tonight, so I'll see if that makes any difference.

I have the exact same problem with my iPhone 5 frequently stopping music playback, requiring me to reselect the device when using Bluetooth. Unfortunately, 4.3 has not helped to resolve this annoying problem. I suspect it may be a Bluetooth antenna issue, since the sound cuts in and out as I move the phone further away from the center console toward the driver's door.

Has anyone had a problem when you receive a call from your paired phone (mine is a Iphone 5) and there is a LOUD screeching noise and the radio volume goes to a very loud level!!! I almost wrecked the car the noise was so intolerable! It has happened before and I reset the 17" screen and it subsided for a week or so.

john

All, I've had the same problem with my iPhone 5 randomly stopping and/or disconnecting. Opened a case with service and they had an engineer doing some remote diagnostics on the car. Looks like to replace it will require getting a whole new touch screen but that's what they are planning on doing. Have it scheduled for 4/18 and I'll post if I see any improvement.

-Joe

My service tech just left. he tells me that this seems to be an issue exclusive to the iphones. He had me do a reset of the main display, to "forget" my iPhone on the bluetooth on the Tesla, and reset the iPhone, then repair the iPhone to the car.

He recommends a weekly reset of the iPhone.

Not sure this'll make any difference, but we'll see. I don't use the BT much for music, so it may be a while before I know if it makes any difference.

My service tech just left. he tells me that this seems to be an issue exclusive to the iphones. He had me do a reset of the main display, to "forget" my iPhone on the bluetooth on the Tesla, and reset the iPhone, then repair the iPhone to the car.

He recommends a weekly reset of the iPhone.

Not sure this'll make any difference, but we'll see. I don't use the BT much for music, so it may be a while before I know if it makes any difference.

I may be the odd man out here, but my iPhone has been rock solid from the get go. I upgraded to 4.3 yesterday and didn't even have to re-pair the phone. I use it for phone calls and to play music (downloaded podcasts, actually) for at least an hour every day. I have never once lost connection and it has never once refused to pair with the car. I usually have it in the cubby, but it works just as well when I forget and leave the phone in my pocket.

Loud Scratching Noise and Bluetooth Stack Crashing

My service tech just left. he tells me that this seems to be an issue exclusive to the iphones. He had me do a reset of the main display, to "forget" my iPhone on the bluetooth on the Tesla, and reset the iPhone, then repair the iPhone to the car. He recommends a weekly reset of the iPhone. Not sure this'll make any difference, but we'll see. I don't use the BT much for music, so it may be a while before I know if it makes any difference.

I have been getting a horrible loud scratching noise rand in the last 2-3 weeks while listening to podcasts over Bluetooth with my Nokia Lumia 920 (Windows Phone 8). The Bluetooth stack will also crash from time-to-time on the car. Luckily it resets that driver and allows me to reconnect to the phone without much hassle but it's annoying when it gets as frequent as every few minutes. Something is up with the BT stack... I'm hoping that it is sending some diagnostics logs home.

I've found the streaming to be glitchy with either slacker or blue tooth pandora through iphone 5. This could be the signal, maybe it's AT&T or ? on occasion the song gets cut and my phone gets dropped and then I can't get it to recognize the phone again till I reenter the car. so far I am a bit disappointed with this, I've never had this kind of an issue with my past blue tooth enabled cars.

My wife and I both have the same problem with our Motorola Admiral androids, but my son's IPhone 5 does not. Our Androids work fine in other car

Also I was dissapointed to find that this most sophisticated of cars does not have multipoint bluetooth which allows for simultaneous connection of two phones. Even $40.00 earpieces are so equipped,

Also I was dissapointed to find that this most sophisticated of cars does not have multipoint bluetooth which allows for simultaneous connection of two phones.

I wasn't aware that was even possible. That is something I could really use! I have a work BlackBerry and a personal iPhone and invariably the one that rings is NOT the one I currently have connected.:cursing: