Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Body Refresh Coming in Sept/Oct?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be a complete waste of resources to change the Model S styling while trying to get the Model X out and then the Model 3. Are there a significant number of potential Model S buyers who are putting off a purchase because they want an updated style? No. There are lots of reasons people come up with to not buy this car, whether thinking EVs aren't ready for prime time yet, it's too expensive, or the company is still too young. Wanting an updated style must be at the bottom of the list if it's there at all, perhaps with the exception of some P85D owners who want something that says "look at me, my version of a Tesla cost over $100,000."

Auto manufacturers change body styles to stimulate sales. Tesla doesn't need to do that yet, not would it work for them now.

The MS doesn't need a refresh. It's perfect the way it is.

I could see them adding things like turn signal indicators to the side mirrors or even a 360 camera view which I would kill to get back. Have it in my Infiniti and not having it in the MS is a major bummer.

+1. A 360 degree view would be so useful. If they do that I hope they move the blind spot warning to side view mirrors as well. The current location is just plain dumb as you should not have to focus on a tiny arc on the IC when you are about to change lanes and your attention needs to be around you.

What the Model S needs more than anything in terms of an upgrade is a battery upgrade that will deliver 300-350 miles of range. At least that's the only meaningful upgrade we'd like to see.

7 or 8 years is far too long. My bet is that a new body gets out on the same frame after the x and before the 3. Doesn't take as much to change the body whereas other manufactures do a complete reengineering something tesla can do incrementally for all other aspect s besides the body

A body style change on the Model S is coming "soon". If you've been around Tesla long enough you'll know what I mean by this :)

I like that they haven't been teasing an LCI (refreshed body style) on the Model S and I concur that their strategy will likely focus on the following for the MS;
- new hardware features as they have been doing already
- revised headlights in the same housing?
- new colors
- new wheel choices
- new bumpers and nose cone (easy to fit into the current assembly line)

The body of the car is close to perfection for me...

Does anyone think the Model S will be getting a body design refresh with the launch of the Model X? I am starting to see more aftermarket styling kits becoming available. There are a lot of Model S out there and I would like to have different levels of body styles similar to the M-Series, AMG, F-type, etc. I am holding off on getting the P85D until the launch of the Model X hoping they will have a more aggressive body style. Wondering if that is what Elon is referring to when he said the P85D 2.8-2.9 0-60.? Thoughts?

I figured since they already have to re-gear the die presses for the Model X they would include the Model S styling as well. Like everyone else, still waiting to see the production look of the X. I agree it is a bit to early for the battery upgrades. I am fine with the 85 for now but would like to trade up this year to get another tax rebate. I am hoping for a little more aggressive look for the P85D. Interior upgrades are developing slowly as well. I would like to see back seat controls and a new center console option. My center console floor mat is so gross from all of the spills. The cup holder on the arm rest is bad placement for me. I need one on the floor.

Hi Chris,

I agree with the majority of the posters here that think it is too soon to devote resources to a distraction such as a body design refresh. Tesla has to be laser focused on getting the Model X out and they have to pick up the pace on the Model 3 development. To get what you want I think you are going to have to resort to after market vendors. As others have suggested a more aggressive body design will probably sacrifice aerodynamics a little.

I agree with you that this recent speculation about a larger battery in the near future is unlikely, but I think it is more likely to precede a body design refresh.

I recommend that you look into purchasing either the Tesla Premium Front Console or the EVannex after market Center Consol Insert to solve your cup holder problem. Like you I have always thought that the location of the cup holders on the armrest was a design failure. (On the positive side my wife uses it for storage of small items. :biggrin:)

Larry

While I don't think that the exterior needs any serious work, the fit and finish of extra's could go a long way. They already have been adding a ton of nick-nacks, but as mentioned in many other threads, there's always a few things they could add to entice new buyers.. (Larger batteries, larger motors, frunk auto-latch, 360 camera, faster main CPU and so on etc.)

No refresh for many years according to Elon a few years ago. He indicated that Tesla would be similar to BMW and Mercedes with 7 or 8 year cycles.

The body is still beautiful and gets compliments every day that it is clean and sunny outside. The Aluminum dyes are very expensive and took over six months from the specifications until they were installed. They are only made in Japan and must come by ship due to weight. It took months after the installation until they improved the process enough to ramp up production. The cars from the first six months of production had to be hand adjusted to get gaps acceptable. They will be better with the Model X but why would they hurt themselves by changing panels at the same or similar time for the Model S?

Steel is much easier to work with than the aluminum. There are changes nearly every week to the Model S, just no changes to the aluminum panels.

I am perfectly happy with the external configuration, shape, etc. of the MS. The "beautiful car" comments have not diminished in frequency since I got it. And as after-market offers proliferate, there will be enough options to accommodate personal tastes. Right now, we are already getting a lot of postings on carbon-this, de-chrome that, new paint, color change by wrap, light this, dim that, wheels and deals, and on and on. The most significant misgivings have been with internal amenities and funtional mods and these should be easier to fix than creating new frame changes and body panels, given the pressures of bringing the X and Gen 3 to market. Given the internal/integral changes that have already occurred since July 2013, my car is already a classic and needs just 23 more years to qualify as an antique:tongue:. If they do a significant frame/body change in the future, I would hope that they give it a new name rather than calling it an S refresh (that should clinch a future antique/classic status):smile:.

While I don't think that the exterior needs any serious work, the fit and finish of extra's could go a long way. They already have been adding a ton of nick-nacks, but as mentioned in many other threads, there's always a few things they could add to entice new buyers.. (Larger batteries, larger motors, frunk auto-latch, 360 camera, faster main CPU and so on etc.)

Excellent suggestions. All of them. And I feel what you suggested will have a greater impact on sales than different body styling.

And when they do implement new body styling for the Model S, I really hope they keep the understated and elegant look of the car though I certainly would not mind some interior luxury refinements :)

Hi Chris,

I agree with the majority of the posters here that think it is too soon to devote resources to a distraction such as a body design refresh. Tesla has to be laser focused on getting the Model X out and they have to pick up the pace on the Model 3 development. To get what you want I think you are going to have to resort to after market vendors. As others have suggested a more aggressive body design will probably sacrifice aerodynamics a little.

I agree with you that this recent speculation about a larger battery in the near future is unlikely, but I think it is more likely to precede a body design refresh.

I recommend that you look into purchasing either the Tesla Premium Front Console or the EVannex after market Center Consol Insert to solve your cup holder problem. Like you I have always thought that the location of the cup holders on the armrest was a design failure. (On the positive side my wife uses it for storage of small items. :biggrin:)

Larry

Always great to hear from you, Larry! I'm not worried at all. I have the approval (from the wife) to order MS on my birthday on May 23rd! I won't take delivery until November, but I can keep an eye out for inventory cars and such between ordering and delivery. I've had to travel up to Tarpon Springs this weekend for a soccer tournament with my son (leaving in an hour for the semi and hopefully finals in an hour) but had to burn some serious dead dinosaurs to get there and back with the Volt. Not a charger to be found within 30 miles of our location up there either.

I can't wait for my MS!

The model S is in constant refresh mode. Changes under the hood an in the software abundant.

The outside - not so much. I'm fine with that and don't need a change if it isn't an improvement. Currently the S does not look old (and won't for some time). So why should they change it?

When figuring out what Tesla will do strategically, asking "what do other car companies do?" is almost always completely irrelevant and misleading. They chart their own course to becoming "compelling."

The filter I always use in trying to predict what Tesla WILL do is to ask: What will advance the EV revolution as fast as possible. That this their only strategy; everything serves that end.