TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Booster Carseat Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by legend502, Apr 3, 2018.

1. legend502

legend502 Member

Anybody have good recommendations on Booster Seats for my 4 year old? What do people like?

2. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

We love our Diono Radian. Can be a little hard to install but it's built like a tank and is narrow so fits well in the back seats.

• Like x 3
  3. legend502

legend502 Member

thank you will check it out!

4. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

• Helpful x 1
  5. legend502

legend502 Member

6. CUBldr97

CUBldr97 Member

7. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

I have the Recaro Performance Sport seats which are a great combination seat but I wish I had a narrower seat like the Diono.

8. JPUConn

JPUConn Active Member

Agree - 5 yr old and twin 3 yr olds.

3FA7A4B9-3C99-47DE-B8FE-EC00C1E5465A.jpeg 315EDA45-069F-4777-B337-0E8A0E56C47B.jpeg

Did you also purchase a seatbelt extender?

• Like x 1
  9. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

I've never used with a seatbelt extender, but might be helpful if you're trying to put 3 side-by-side.

• Like x 1
  10. cavanagh0

cavanagh0 Member

Does the radian sit flush against the back and bottom of the seat? Our Diono r100 does not so I am looking for something else. Our 6 yo still falls asleep in the car and since it's not safe for her to slump over, I really want something with a back but haven't been able to find anything.

11. cavanagh0

cavanagh0 Member

Note that no car seat or booster has been crash tested with seat belt extender and it's just another point of failure, so I believe most technicians (and the Tesla S manual) will tell you not to use them.

12. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

If your 4 year old didn’t outgrow the forward facing seat yet, it’s better/safer to keep him/her in it as long as they fit it (weight limitation of the seat)

• Like x 1
  13. nexusone

nexusone Member

I use a recaro performance seat for a 5yr old. Works well. Fits well. Looks good.

14. ordel

ordel Member

If you’re looking for a narrow backless booster that fits the Model S (and does not cover the buckle receptacle), I would recommend the Cosco Rise booster. It is a new booster and it is only $10 at Walmart. My kids didn’t like the bubble bum because of the additional steps involved in securing that seat, and this Cosco is a lot easier. I also tried the Harmony youth booster and that too was better than my former standby - the Graco turbo booster - but not as narrow as the Cosco. And for me, a seatbelt extender seemed too risky given the lack of testing and the fact that most of them are not sold by major companies.

15. alwaysru

alwaysru Supporting Member

I have both - the Diono for my 5 year old and the Cosco for my 9 year old. Wish I could still convince my 9 year old to ride in a real car seat - as safe as the Tesla is, I still feel better about having him in a fully enclosed seat.

If using the Cosco, put your kid on the drivers side as the car gets angry/confused when he would accidentally plug into the center buckle when on the passenger side.

16. DevFonzy

DevFonzy Member

I picked up two of these today for my four year olds. Still a little hard for them to buckle themselves in but hopefully with time they’ll figure it out. I had to return the graco brand booster seats since they have a wide base and cover the seat buckles.

I see people in the forum suggest using a seatbelt extender. I for one would never use something like that unless it was approved for car seats, which none of them are.

I also see a post with three car seats in the second row. The owners manual says not to do that as well.

Chicco® KidFit™ Zip Luxe 2-in-1 Belt Positioning Booster Seat in Dolce Limited Availability Attention California Residents Chicco® KidFit™ Zip Luxe 2-in-1 Belt Positioning Booster Seat in Dolce