TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Boston Winter Driving Wish List

Discussion in 'New England' started by Pollux, Jan 5, 2014.

1. PeterK

PeterK Model X & 3 Owner

+++

I'm taking some time off and doing lots of short school dropoff/pickup runs in this cold weather, and my lifetime wH/mile is steadily climbing as a result. Not the kind of mileage I want to see. There is no point in heating the battery much for a 2-4 mile drive at 35mph max.

2. Enadler

Enadler Member

My understanding is if you keep the HVAC on Range then the battery warmer does not kick in. I never get the message Battery Charging when in this mode even when the temp was below 10 degrees and regen was severely limited.

3. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

That's right. On the Controls/Settings menu, change Range Mode to "ON". The HVAC will now show "Auto Eco" (or "Custom Eco"). The battery heater will not kick in.

4. seanmccutchan

seanmccutchan Member

That's great to know! I'll give that a try tomorrow. Perhaps that should be default, or at least more obvious. I can see lots of potential confusion over this for the "turn key" user.

5. PeterK

PeterK Model X & 3 Owner

Ironically, I had left it in range mode after my last trip but went back to normal because I read that it would preheat the battery on shore power when heating the cabin via the app. But I guess I really don't need to heat the battery much anyway for such short runs.

6. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

FWIW, I find it really annoying to drive without regen. The car feels incredibly heavy, having to use the friction brakes at every speed-bump and 4-way stop that litter central Boston. If I've got my brain engaged, I leave the car in normal mode when plugged in, to get the battery heated from shore power, but then flip it over to range mode on battery to disable further heating from battery power.

7. PeterK

PeterK Model X & 3 Owner

That seems the best solution, Robert. It would be nice to have a setting that automatically did that.

8. Enadler

Enadler Member

Actually I think this is a programming design floor. It is would be much more efficient if the program would engage the battery heater when the car is preheating and attached to shore power regardless of whether or not range mode is engaged.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I have yet to wear gloves in the car this winter. I lost one of my gloves and haven't bothered getting a replacement. The steering wheel doesn't feel that cold even when it's cold in the car.