Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Brake & Accelerator Pedal Positions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From way back in the day, I have vague memories of a pedal extender -- a block of wood or SLT fixed on the pedal, for short legs.

So, I went to my nearby Tesla store and sat in a car with my winter boots on. While the Tesla rep in the passenger seat was obsessing over the stereo, I played around with my feet on the pedals and found I had no problem hitting the pedal I wanted, and without stepping on both. Now, this was in a non-moving car and under driving conditions, it might be different, but it seemed okay to me. I also noted that the brake pedal is higher than the accelerator, but not as high as my current car is by comparison.

After returning home today, I did a couple of experiments.

The first thing I did was to play around with how the car responds to having both pedals pressed. I was curious to know whether two-footed technique would work on hills, since I've noticed that the car really rolls backwards if you don't use creep, and I was a little afraid that I would bump another car when parking on an incline or the like. I'm pleased to say that if you start with your left foot on the brake and depress the accelerator with your right slightly, that the car will beep and alert you to the dual pedal press, but if you simply release the brake at that point, you will begin to move forward without rolling back. Yay.

Next I actually looked at how my foot lands on the pedals. I took pictures which I've attached below. I imagine that everybody's foot positions vary a bit, but this is pretty much how I've always driven with my 12-1/2 2E battleship shoes. My heel is roughly under the brake, and my foot swivels to the right to hit the accelerator, or more upright to get the brake. I have adequate clearance on the Model S pedals.

IMG_4163.jpg

IMG_4165.jpg

It looks like the brake pedal either needs to be off-set a bit further forward so when it is being pressed it will be higher than the accelerator or it needs to be moved a bit more to the left. I agree that many cars have their pedals is different positions, but it seems that whatever position Tesla has chosen seems to cause many people to press both pedals at the same time.
I concur with you DrComputer. Until I hopped on this TMC thread, I thought I was alone (size 10). I think the off-set is the answer.
If you have not experienced this, please remember Carl Sagan's, "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
As for history repeating itself, did we learn anything from the unintended acceleration of the Audi 5000? :mad:

As for history repeating itself, did we learn anything from the unintended acceleration of the Audi 5000? :mad:

Most modern cars have some sort of fuel shut-off or other means to limit the throttle if both pedals are mashed down. Toyota learned the hard way to implement this in their cars. I would have to think Tesla has thought this through and limits throttle when the brake is pressed at the same time. They do already pop up a warning (I believe).

One other related thing happened today... when moving from the accelerator to the brake, the edge of my boot got caught momentarily on the back side of the brake pedal.

This happens to me on a regular basis. So far it hasn't caused any real problems, but it is disconcerting. In addition to increasing the pedal offset front-to-rear, I think the brake pedal should move left a skosh: there just isn't enough room between the right edge of the brake pedal and the wall of the foot well next to the accelerator, at least not for my 11-1/2 D shoes.

Data points:
I've had the simultaneous brake/throttle happen twice in the first few days of driving. While giving test drives the other night, 1 of the 4 folks had it happen as well. My foot position is sort of opposite of MikeK's above. His is straight on for the brake, slanted for the gas. I'm the other way. I'm straight on for the gas, then pivot to slant it over for the brake.

If I were to give an opinion, something I've become incredibly reticent to do on this forum, I'd hazard a guess that folks that pivot are more likely to press both pedals because the edge of their pivoted foot just lightly overlaps the pedal they're shifting away from. Folks, such as my wife, who lift their foot completely and move it to the other pedal wouldn't likely ever have this happen.

Interesting. I find it much easier to pivot to the right than the left so my positions are similar to MikeK's. I've never had an issue with pedals in any car. Although I've only had the 15min test drive in the Model S...

Data points:
I've had the simultaneous brake/throttle happen twice in the first few days of driving. While giving test drives the other night, 1 of the 4 folks had it happen as well. My foot position is sort of opposite of MikeK's above. His is straight on for the brake, slanted for the gas. I'm the other way. I'm straight on for the gas, then pivot to slant it over for the brake.

If I were to give an opinion, something I've become incredibly reticent to do on this forum, I'd hazard a guess that folks that pivot are more likely to press both pedals because the edge of their pivoted foot just lightly overlaps the pedal they're shifting away from. Folks, such as my wife, who lift their foot completely and move it to the other pedal wouldn't likely ever have this happen.

I'm a heel-toe manual driver and I've never gotten the two pedal warning, even with bulky winter boots. With the S, I also rarely use the brake pedal at all, but I had to specifically try to get the warning to pop up in order to verify its existence. Perhaps this explains so many recalls from other car companies over recent years if it is commonplace with some drivers and not others.

Interesting. I find it much easier to pivot to the right than the left so my positions are similar to MikeK's. I've never had an issue with pedals in any car. Although I've only had the 15min test drive in the Model S...
Agreed, and I've had 1,000 miles behind the wheel of my Model S, including some time driving in heavy snow boots. I like the placement, quite a lot -- feels completely natural. So, clearly, this is a design choice that isn't uniformly good or bad.

In light of the fact that it's all "fly by wire," I wonder if Tesla could mount the brake pedal in such a way to allow it to shift left/right and forward/back to accommodate different drivers' preferences? They've done it for the steering column; the brake pedal has to be simpler.

In light of the fact that it's all "fly by wire," I wonder if Tesla could mount the brake pedal in such a way to allow it to shift left/right and forward/back to accommodate different drivers' preferences? They've done it for the steering column; the brake pedal has to be simpler.

I second this notion. As one who is vertically challenged, the ability to move the pedals around would be very nice to have. Even better if their positions can be remembered by the driver profile just like the seat position is.

Looks like Ford had (has?) this feature:
Power Adjustable Pedals Are A Fantastic Feature - New Car Buying Guide

Last edited:
Wow, surprised so many people here are saying this is such a minor issue. Almost had a very major accident today because of this issue. Happened to me twice since I got the car, both times, when pivoting from accelerator to brake pedal when I needed to stop in a hurry-- well the car didn't stop like it was supposed to and I had to swerve out of my lane to avoid hitting the car in front of me. Never really experienced this in any other car before. And I'm a little bit worried about the issue as it only seems to occur at the worst possible time for me. I would like the accelerator to just be flat out disabled when I press the brake pedal as I would never want to have both going at the same time anyway... Surely that could be a software switch?