Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S browser, the Tesla AGM and Adobe Flash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an oddball, fanboy thing to do, I decided it would be amusing to watch the AGM from the browser in my new model S (while parked). As an aside, is it me or is it just a wee bit asking for trouble to have a web browser on a 17 inch screen pointed at the driver? In any event, it's still pretty cool. So I get to the Tesla website, click on live streaming and get stopped cold by the need to download Flash. I took a shot at going to the Adobe website, and it even knew to present me one of the Linux options, but I have no experience with Linux and so bailed. I then decided that downloading any software from the web to my car was just not a good idea. Thoughts?

I would be very surprised (and alarmed) if this worked. You are right to think downloading software onto your Model S would be a really dicey thing to do, if it were possible; it's supposed to be locked down.

IIRC, the browser has also been configured to make watching video impossible. I'm not sure exactly how this is implemented, but it's probably done by forbidding media types at the protocol level (and forbidding all plug-ins so this cannot be circumvented).

In any case, you'll want a different device for this purpose. :)

As an aside, it's a little disappointing Tesla are using a Flash-based video player. This should really be considered depreciated now HTML5 does it all.

As an aside, it's a little disappointing Tesla are using a Flash-based video player. This should really be considered depreciated now HTML5 does it all.

They are using Livestream who tailor the media to the platform. The link works fine on my iPhone. Unfortunately, it appears that they are defaulting to Flash if they don't recognize your browser.