TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Buyer Demographics: Gender

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Robert.Boston, Feb 6, 2012.

?

What is your gender, and the gender of the primary driver of the Model S?

1. I'm male and will also be the primary driver

128 vote(s)
    71.5%
  2. I'm male, and my partner will be the primary driver

19 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. I'm male, and it's complicated.

21 vote(s)
    11.7%
  4. I'm female and will also be the primary driver

8 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. I'm female, and my partner will be the primary driver

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  6. I'm female, and it's complicated.

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

#1 Robert.Boston, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
    Another poll to pass the time. Replies are anonymous.

2. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Right now my partner has no interest in electric vehicles, and really hates all things Tesla because I talk about it more than she would like. So to start I will be solidly:
    So I voted that way.

I suspect after a few months I will probably be in:
    and hopefully not:

3. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

My wife doesn't want to get anywhere near driving the Model S (which she thinks is humongous!) - am glad that she's letting me get it though; she's only too happy to drive her Mini whenever she can :smile:

4. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

That is a good strategy. My fiancee drives a Civic and really likes it. I think the 'You don't want to worry about driving around this yacht?' technique may work.

5. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

My wife took my Roadster for her daily driver leaving me with the Leaf. I have a feeling when the S comes along she will opt for it, but she does love driving the Roadster so who knows.

6. PattyChuck

PattyChuck P6703 VIN4080

The Model S will be my car, however, I have been informed that we will be putting down a deposit for the Model X on February 9th. That will not be my car :biggrin:

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#7 vfx, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
    Mine was worn down after two years of talking Tesla.

8. MitchL

MitchL S#945

My wife was initially neutral Tesla and EVs.

... but, after seeing the car in person she went from 'are you crazy?' to 'Ok to purchase' (yay!)
    ... Now she has a Tesla jacket and I don't....
    ... and our idea of a "hot date" is to show up at the Santana Row store to watch the webcast of the Model X announcement (can't jet to LA on a Thursday with kids in school).

So, maybe I should have said "it's complicated." I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to be allowed to drive the S when it arrives.

/Mitch.

9. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Another thing has interested me. I always think "What car will I buy next?" And I always have a short list, if not outright answer. And it changes on a monthly basis. My fiancee never thinks about her next car. The only answers I get is "My Civic is just fine!", "I liked my CRV before my Civic. Why are you asking me that.", or "A behemoth, mega cab, full bed F-250 duallie!".

I think the last one is a joke. But sometimes I can't tell.

I don't know if that is why we are at 100% male answers right now. But it could be something.

10. mlascano

mlascano S Sig #722

If all goes as planned we will build our Model S to my taste but it will be my wife's main ride for now (she drives 60-70 miles/day currently, my commute is 20 miles/day). Then we'll get her a Model X and will reclaim my S!

11. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

You are in the lucky position to keep the number of Tesla vehicles >= the number of family members holding a driver's license.

12. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

My wife loves the Roadster but she doesn't get to drive it much and says she "needs" trunk space, I'm buying the Model S for her.

13. SUN-day Driver

Seems like the survey wording assumes if you are male then your partner is female. I am male and my partner is also male. What you really probably want to know is "1. I am <male/female>. 2. The primary driver will be <me/female partner/male partner>."

14. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I did indeed waffle on the wording, choosing the gender-neutral "partner" eventually recognizing that this diluted the "gender" question.

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Actually my wife thinks it's mostly "a guy thing" to post on forums at all; poll results suggest she's right..either that or 98% of the buyers are male (which I don't believe).

16. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

#16 bonnie, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
    Ummm ... so I'm female (no, really!) and plan on either a combination of Roadster/Model S, or Roadster/Model X (waiting for the unveiling) ... and I will be primary driver on both. Which one will depend on how I feel that day. Or if I have the dogs. Or if it's a really beautiful day and I want the top off.

Many of us like technology and cars, in addition to pedicures and shopping. :)

17. rsquared99

rsquared99 Member

How will you ever be able to provide "cat protection" for all that Tesla roof space? Maybe I should start investing in carboard box manufacturing.

18. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I did say "mostly"...but Bonnie you realize that you're part of the elite 2% on this forum!!

19. bonnie

:) ...

20. bonnie

I've already started saving up. :)

I've also upgraded my original cardboard box to a much sturdier cardboard box. The important thing is that it also distribute the cat's weight when it decides to jump down from the rafters above - it took a couple of mornings of concave struts to figure out what was going on.