Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Buyer Demographics: Gender

What is your gender, and the gender of the primary driver of the Model S?

• I'm male and will also be the primary driver

Votes: 129 71.3%
  • I'm male, and my partner will be the primary driver

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • I'm male, and it's complicated.

Votes: 21 11.6%
  • I'm female and will also be the primary driver

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • I'm female, and my partner will be the primary driver

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I'm female, and it's complicated.

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm one of the anomalies here...I persuaded my husband to put down the original deposit 2 years ago (and wrote the check to move up to signature in December!)...I cannot wait for this car even thought it will be for his commute in the HOV lane from San Jose to Santa Clara and SF...I tried to get him to go down for the Model X event on Thursday but with his already busy travel schedule, he wasn't interested...so I got my carpools covered, and I'm flying down myself...My only instructions are to NOT put a deposit on the Model X...however, if the car really looks good (not too out there with the "falcon doors") and the max battery is at least 400mi, I'm all in...:smile:
DeDe

I'm one of the anomalies here...I persuaded my husband to put down the original deposit 2 years ago (and wrote the check to move up to signature in December!)...I cannot wait for this car even thought it will be for his commute in the HOV lane from San Jose to Santa Clara and SF...I tried to get him to go down for the Model X event on Thursday but with his already busy travel schedule, he wasn't interested...so I got my carpools covered, and I'm flying down myself...My only instructions are to NOT put a deposit on the Model X...however, if the car really looks good (not too out there with the "falcon doors") and the max battery is at least 400mi, I'm all in...:smile:
DeDe

Soon the *anomalies* will take over the forum.

Another anomaly here. It has amazed me how male-dominated this board and the one on the TM website is. I guess it goes with the automotive territory and I can't exactly say that I've ever posted on another car forum before. But then again, I've never been nearly this excited about a car! I asked for a deposit on a Model S for Christmas last year (2010) and then gave myself an upgrade to a Sig for Christmas this year. Actually, I didn't give the other deposit up - we're holding two (Sig 731 and Prod 2790) in case my husband gets jealous and wants one too. I'm going to the X reveal on Thursday with my husband (a new car reveal is a first for us - what fun!) so there may be some horse trading down the road if the X appeals to us!

I think the Model S is going to be a fantastic car for women and have to believe that women will make up a significant percentage of purchasers. No one likes pumping gas, but I think that women probably dislike it more than men. Just smelly, dirty and nasty. I'm going to be thrilled to never go to another gas station again! The jump seats for kids in the back make it attractive for moms with little kids. I find the lines beautiful and not too masculine. I currently drive a Prius (and a Land Rover when we go to the mountains, or have to haul something big or a lot of kids around) and I am SO sick of it. It's very boring and it doesn't help that about every third car on the road where I live seems to be a Prius. Can't wait for my Model S!

I think the Model S is going to be a fantastic car for women and have to believe that women will make up a significant percentage of purchasers. No one likes pumping gas, but I think that women probably dislike it more than men. Just smelly, dirty and nasty. I'm going to be thrilled to never go to another gas station again!

Steph, I completely agree. My wife will only go to full-serve gas stations (unless I'm along to pump gas for her). Although she is currently planning on holding on to the BMW 5 that I gave her for her 50th birthday, I suspect that things will evolve so that she'll be driving the Model S primarily. Dang!

My wife has expressed her fear of driving such an expensive car lest she has an accident. Keep in mind, she has been driving for over 45 years without a single accident and she said the same thing about the 5 series BMW we owned some years back. Once she got the feel for that car, I could hardly get into the driver's seat. I fear history will repeat itself.:rolleyes:

The car is for my wife, but I plan on driving it on days when I have an appointment out of the office. I tried to talk my wife into a Leaf, but she thinks it looks like an economy car. She is tired of her Odyssey now that our boys are in college and wants a nice sedan. She attended the October 1 tour and is excited as long as she gets to pick out the color.

Queue theme from 2001....

HAL (voice over) "Don't fight it ElSupreme...it's the natural eveolution pattern for families owning an EV...:wink::biggrin:

Right now my partner has no interest in electric vehicles, and really hates all things Tesla because I talk about it more than she would like. So to start I will be solidly:

So I voted that way.

I suspect after a few months I will probably be in:

and hopefully not:

I voted "it's complicated" because it will be the new family car...

But then it occurred to me that my wife is using the current family car for her commute... and she doesn't care much for driving my Mustang... So maybe it's not so complicated, I just don't want to face the facts...

These poll results do not surprise me for these reasons:
(1) Model S is an expensive car.
(2) There are still significantly more rich men than rich women in this country (easy enough to look up).
Therefore:
(3) Most model Ses will be purchased by men.

If we'd closed the gender pay gap (still not closed) and eliminated the glass ceiling (still there) 30 years ago, we might be seeing a 50/50 split.

Edit: however, that wouldn't predict a number quite as high as 96% (!!!) male, so seems to indicate that there's something else going on here. Perhaps the traditional "cars are perceived as a masculine activity" thing.

Last edited:
The poll is skewed because men are motivated more than most women to spend time on these forums. The truth is that women rule; quietly and subtly, but they rule...take a look through the threads and see how many men are commenting along the lines of "...that would be a deal breaker for her", "...trying to persuade my wife", "...she'll have to see it/drive it/sit in it" and so on. We love the cars, but we still need our wive's approval to buy it.

(This is where I need the "Lights touchpaper and stands well back" smilie....)

Last edited:
Right now my partner has no interest in electric vehicles, and really hates all things Tesla because I talk about it more than she would like. So to start I will be solidly:
Nah, I never talk about Tesla at home, nor do I ever visit this forum when hanging on the couch....

My intention is to be the primary driver of the S, but I suspect that when it finally arrives she'll be taking it: "Yes, but it saves a lot of fuel!"

And....

My intention is to be the primary driver of the S, but I suspect that when it finally arrives she'll be taking it...

I voted "it's complicated" because it will be the new family car... But then it occurred to me that my wife is using the current family car...

My wife ... she's letting me get it...

That is a good strategy. My fiancee drives a Civic and really likes it. I think the 'You don't want to worry about driving around this yacht?' technique may work.

My wife took my Roadster for her daily driver leaving me with the Leaf.

... but, after seeing the car in person she went from 'are you crazy?' to 'Ok to purchase' (yay!)... Now she has a Tesla jacket and I don't....I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to be allowed to drive the S when it arrives.

If all goes as planned we will build our Model S to my taste but it will be my wife's main ride for now (she drives 60-70 miles/day currently, my commute is 20 miles/day). Then we'll get her a Model X and will reclaim my S!

My wife will only go to full-serve gas stations (unless I'm along to pump gas for her)....I suspect that things will evolve so that she'll be driving the Model S primarily. Dang!

Once she got the feel for that car, I could hardly get into the driver's seat. I fear history will repeat itself....

That's just from this thread, I rest my case!

The poll is skewed because men are motivated more than most women to spend time on these forums. The truth is that women rule; quietly and subtly, but they rule...take a look through the threads and see how many men are commenting along the lines of "...that would be a deal breaker for her", "...trying to persuade my wife", "...she'll have to see it/drive it/sit in it" and so on. We love the cars, but we still need our wive's approval to buy it.

(This is where I need the "Lights touchpaper and stands well back" smilie....)

I've always liked your clear grasp of reality, Nigel.

The poll is skewed because men are motivated more than most women to spend time on these forums. The truth is that women rule; quietly and subtly, but they rule...

Quite right. The smart people at Tesla know this too. Model X will attract females & males including that key demographic - soccer moms! Check out the Model X page.

Model X is designed from the ground up to blend the best of an SUV with the benefits of a minivan, as only an electric car can. It is an automobile above category, built around the driver—and six of her friends. It artfully provides unfettered performance and brilliant functionality.