Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Buyers: What's Your Income?

Model S Buyer: What's your annual gross income? (USD)

• Below $40,000

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • $40,000-$59,999

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • $60,000-$79,999

Votes: 52 5.4%
  • $80,000-$99,999

Votes: 65 6.8%
  • $100,000-$119,999

Votes: 69 7.2%
  • $120,000-$139,999

Votes: 73 7.6%
  • $140,000-$199,999

Votes: 191 19.9%
  • $200,000-$299,999

Votes: 183 19.0%
  • $300,000-$499,999

Votes: 156 16.2%
  • $500,000 or higher (swimmin' in cash)

Votes: 138 14.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I respectfully bow in front of all of you Tesla owners who really had to sacrifice comforts to get into a Model S costing half your annual income or more.

I was in tears watching this really nice very positive regular guy with a handicapped kid praising the Model S, not once did he stop to complain, I realized that owning a Tesla is about a lot more than getting a bigger car.

Interesting results, I thought it'd be more spread out but there's a definite grouping in the top 4, but then again I'm in more of a "single income" mindset due to my own circumstances... so with dual incomes it changes things up a bit.

The poll is a bit too vague - are you trying to measure the individual income of the buyer/primary driver or household income? I'm guessing that most responded with household income and that makes it relatively easy for dual income professionals to fall into the $200k-$300k range.

The poll is a bit too vague - are you trying to measure the individual income of the buyer/primary driver or household income? I'm guessing that most responded with household income and that makes it relatively easy for dual income professionals to fall into the $200k-$300k range.

If you read the first post it has some directions. And yes it states family gross income.

If you read the first post it has some directions. And yes it states family gross income.
Apparently, I failed to read that back when I voted. I'm not clear on my household family income with four (myself, dad, brother, sister) having jobs, but I estimate it to be roughly $300k. However, in my case, family income has little to do with affordability of Model S since the only money I get to spend is the money I earn from my job.

I'm in the 80-99k category. Single, 22, no debt, living at home. Bought a S60 and am skipping out on vacations, eating out, any lavish expenditures, and other extras. The driving experience has been well worth it though. Will finish paying back my parents the loan in January if all goes well and then will start saving for a house. Not in a huge rush to move out quite yet ;).

Our Household income is ~280k, with a 500k mortage and 700k net worth (total assets - liabilities including mortgage). Thinking long n hard and lusting over a Model S for a year. Feel financially irresponsible although we need an EV and can pull it off :confused::crying:. Two ICE cars in the household with a 50 mile commute carpooling everyday..

This is such a hard poll to pull anything meaningful from. Personally, I (we) fall in the 120-130 range. BUT... house, 3 kids (one of which I pay child support on), some debt (CC and student loans), etc. and there is NO WAY we can afford even a used S. Just insurance increases alone almost negates the savings from not paying for gas.

Each segment would have to have a further breakdown of "additional income after current expenses" (basically debt to income ratio), how much deposit/down payment, etc. to really be able to look at these figures to even get a vague idea of whether or not you can afford one. If you have to ask, you can't afford it?? lol

I will continue to follow TMC wantonly. :)

Fun thread, wish I could hear stories from the < 40k folks.

While I'm not an owner, a CPO would be within my reach at that income level. I wouldn't do that though because it'd require funneling money away from investments, and my primary goal is taking care of my mortgage before the Model 3 is out. I imagine a lot of those owners have just built up some significant capital.

(But I guess that begs the question whether people were including investment income or not in that figure...)

Fun thread, wish I could hear stories from the < 40k folks.

I'm not quite down there but very close. It's just nice to see that I'm not the only non-wealthy person who has figured a way to own a piece of the future. In my case that "way" was a matter driving old vehicles and saving up for many years, even before the only Tesla on my mind was Nikola, waiting for the right thing to come along.

Now if the good Mr. Musk would just offer me a ride on one of his Falcon 9s. :)

I'm not quite down there but very close. It's just nice to see that I'm not the only non-wealthy person who has figured a way to own a piece of the future. In my case that "way" was a matter driving old vehicles and saving up for many years, even before the only Tesla on my mind was Nikola, waiting for the right thing to come along.

Now if the good Mr. Musk would just offer me a ride on one of his Falcon 9s. :)

Cool! I'm willing to assume that despite the "lower" income you don't regret the purchase one bit?