Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Cabin Heater Stopped Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 Model S here

Everything had been well for almost 5 years, on my last drive today, it felt suspiciously cold and realized that no warm air is coming out from the vents despite setting of 18C (it was -12C outside). The dash energy graph also did not show the slight consumption when car is stopped from the heater either. It was cold outside today, but not the coldest ever. The car was parked in a garage with temp around 2C inside. Teslafi logging showed cabin temp started at 7C at start of drive, ended up at 3C at end of drive, despite steady set point of 18C.

I set it to HI temp or max heat defrost, still nothing, no heat at all. Tried the two scroll wheel reset, no change either.

The car was totally normal earlier today, cabin heater was working just fine.

I asked for a service appointment to take a look but the next one is 2 weeks out. Kind of rough not having heat in the coldest time of the year.
Anyone has any idea what might be wrong?

Yeah... I have never had a heater fail on me in any other car, many much older than this Model S. But I suppose ICE car heater work differently, as it basically blows air over the radiator coil taking waste heat from the engine. Still, sucks for it to be happening on some of the coldest days. As a consequence of Murphy's law, AC fails in summer, heater fails in winter.

Those Model 3 failure have a warning on their panel saying that something is wrong. Nothing is shown on my car, no error or warning messages.
Maybe I can try to give them a call and see if they can see anything wrong.

It is no as bad as walking outside, as there is no wind, and there is some slight comfort from seat heaters and such. But not cool when the water in your water bottle is frozen.

Dealing with a simile issue right now. No heat and no codes saying there’s any issue with heat.
I replaced the PTC heater core and that didn’t solve it. Later tested the new and old heater core and found that they’re both working just fine.
Next thing to check is the DCDC fuse. Had an independent shop check that as Tesla was a month out. My fuses are fine so I’m waiting on the next direction the tech wants to go.
But the heater core and DCDC would be solid options to check.
Hope you can find an easier solution. Also if you need a spare PTC heater let me know. I’ve got an extra one

• Helpful
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Dealing with a simile issue right now. No heat and no codes saying there’s any issue with heat.
I replaced the PTC heater core and that didn’t solve it. Later tested the new and old heater core and found that they’re both working just fine.
Next thing to check is the DCDC fuse. Had an independent shop check that as Tesla was a month out. My fuses are fine so I’m waiting on the next direction the tech wants to go.
Hope you can find an easier solution. Also if you need a spare PTC heater let me know. I’ve got an extra one
I’m having a similar issue with a 2017 model X can I call you?

Is there a number I can call you about your PTC heater? Thank You

Reactions: KArnold
I have a '17 MS100D AWD - so I believe that is a gen 2 converter. I'm not finding a lot of info regarding those fuses - you have to drop the battery or remove a motor to access?
The Gen-2 Front DC Junction box should be visible if you open the bonnet and remove the plastic trims. Mine has three nuts holding, and they are quite deep. May have to drop battery to get to it. More info on the junction box here ---> Hacking the Tesla Model S Front Junction Box

Reactions: KArnold
I was able to replace the fuse with help from daughter as it was not easy to reach without dropping the battery.

Attachments

• Model S Frunk removed.jpg
    Model S Frunk removed.jpg
    521.7 KB · Views: 1,035
  • Model S 2017 Front Junction Box.jpg
    Model S 2017 Front Junction Box.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 621
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Looks like my PTC heater went out on my '16 MS 90D with about 65k miles. No error codes shown in the car.

What's weird, I was sitting in my car on a cool night (Car was "off", about 55° F outside) for a few minutes queuing up some music on my phone when i felt a kind of clunk/vibration like i ran over something (even though I was sitting in a parking lot) and then heard some guggle/bubbling sounds. I was confused but didnt know what to think. I started my drive home and noticed I didnt have any heat. I now have a service ticket open and waiting to hear back what they say, luckily the car is still under the used car warranty for another year.