TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Cabrio

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by fjavifp, Jun 23, 2013.

1. fjavifp

fjavifp Member

A thread to discuss about our preferences for a Model S based Cabrio

- - - Updated - - -

How about these two polls?:
    - Soft top vs hard top
    - Is a 4-door hard top possible?

2. nspollution

nspollution Member

After having had a hard top convertible, I'd never go back to soft top.

3. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

Agreed !! and 4 door would be great though not sure if possible ?!?!? But I want Gen 3 size not Model S size.

4. fjavifp

fjavifp Member

I too prefer hard top; been dying to see a 4 door...

5. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

I have had hard- and soft- top convertibles, never going back to soft-top...
    A 85+kwh model X , and a hard-top 4-seat convertible gen III (smaller/cheaper) with a 150+ mile range would be my ideal 'fleet'. *sigh

6. fjavifp

fjavifp Member

That sounds like a really nice garage!! One day... :wink:

7. fjavifp

fjavifp Member

Anyone knows of a 4-door hard top convertible?
    How about a mix between glass and hard: the glass front part could slide into the hard rear segment before then folding into the trunk... any ideas?

8. Kevin Harney

I found no 4 doors when I looked a couple years ago. But VW EOS does have an option of a Sunroof inside the folding top so you can have both.

9. fjavifp

fjavifp Member

Hi Kevin,

Yes I know about EOS (a neighbor has one). I own a 2003 Peugeot 307 CC which does not have the option, but I think Renault's equivalent does as well.
    However, I think what makes it an issue for the hard-top is the 4-doors... It is surely possible, but the car would need to be strengthen to compensate for the removal of central pillars (if it is to have any sort of rigidity), and I still wonder how this could be done...

The idea of a mixed hard-glass front was only to simplify the folding mechanism for the roof. In that case, only the glass guiding sides would need to fold vs the whole forward section of the roof... or perhaps it would make sense to leave the side arches for structural integrity, and make the all glass roof retract underneath the tunk's glass...

10. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

A la the Porsche 911 Targa? I was actually thinking about putting a convertible on 4 doors this morning. You have to keep the whole B pillar (to close and seal the doors properly). And your canopy has to be significantly thinner than your vehicle, so that it can fold up inside the trunk. I don't really see getting away from fixed door arches without a lot of compromise. But a Porsche 991 style Targa top I could easily see.

The other obvious problem with leveraging the Model S as a convertible is the hatchback. The whole trunk section would have to be reworked, not to mention the canopy and windshield. And adding more rigidity in the windscreen framework could easily take away even more of the limited head room. Not to mention the shear size of the Model S canopy.

11. djromain

djromain Member

What do you think with this version ? :D ;)
    tesla-cab-mini.jpg

Attached Files:

12. fjavifp

fjavifp Member

Yep, a la targa... though I kinda like the idea of an arch-less 4-door cabrio...
    I agree that the hatchback would need reworking and all other constrains you mention would have to be carefully assessed....

- - - Updated - - -

Looks really really nice!! But two doors only - that's already been done ;-)
    The idea here would be for a 4-door cabriolet - can you render it? WOuld be great to see!!

Thanks and regards

13. Hache

Hache Member

#13 Hache, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  14. Kevin Harney

And I think a lot of the roof mechanism is in that area you want to use for the rear door.

15. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

You still run the problem of having to put in a B pillar. Something to seal the back edge of the front window, and the front edge of the rear window. Having framed doors on a convertible takes away much of the convertibleness.

16. fjavifp

fjavifp Member

I agree that keeping the door frames (the arches going from A to C) would take away much of the convertibleness...
    How would it be to leave the Bs in with corresponding cross arch? Would provide for rigidity and roll-cage functionality... but can that look nice too? We need djromain drawings ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

I also found this rendition of the concept I/we are after for an Audi A7... but is it doable like that? Would we need to sacrifise the hatch-back ? Does it matter?
    So many questions... :confused:
    audia7scoopphoto1.jpg

17. Kevin Harney

That concept is EXACTLY the same as a current 3 Series (Now 4 Series) except adding the back doors. I would think it is totally doable.....

18. fjavifp

fjavifp Member

You're absolutely right! I had not realises and thought BMs was a 2 piece roof... nope, it's 3...
    But adding the rear doors, then they other hinge on a shortened B pillar or in the C and open like in the RX8 above... right?

19. Kevin Harney

#19 Kevin Harney, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
    I don't think so because the roof panels actually sit in that portion of the fender above the wheel when the top is open. So the top and the doors would be occupying the same space :( LOL This would be bad !! LOL

- - - Updated - - -

And with full doors would that not just be suicide doors ?

- - - Updated - - -

You can see where the panels open from this picture. vw_eos_available_at_volkswagen_of_naples_wallpaper-normal 1.jpg

20. fjavifp

fjavifp Member

I see...
    And if TESLA kept the hatch back? Rear doors could then still hinge on the C-pillars, would still allow great rear cargo volume even with top down, rear facing seat with top up...
    I think it would look quite nice (from my crappy "paint" trials I won't share)...