TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S Canadian Deliveries

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by colinb, Oct 11, 2012.

1. colinb

colinb Member

Anyone receive a date for Canada-bound cars? I've only been given a "November - December" range. If you do have a delivery window please reply with your reservation number, range, and if you feel comfortable your config options. Perhaps we can get joefee to update his spreadsheet to add a country column too?

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure if anyone in Canada had received a delivery window, that fact would be posted already.

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I don't recall ever reading anywhere that the homologation process was completed yet; I think many assumed it was because pricing came out but that could well be the reason there are no delivery windows in Canada yet.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I've heard that they are indeed still working on getting approval to sell in Canada.

(No, Hans, I can absolutely assure you that I didn't hear that from a Canadian Tesla employee!)

5. Vger

Vger Active Member

Ha! Funny!

Just to confirm, since I am SSL#2, and SSL#1, whoever they are, is not posting to the forum, I would think that I would be one of the first to hear a definitive delivery window. I have not heard anything different from anyone else so far. I also have been presuming that homologation is the hold-up. I am just hoping that the MINUTE they get approval, they will start the CAN signature production run!

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

So here's what we know:

• There was recently a two week delay affecting all cars
    • They are waiting on Canadian government approval (homologation)
    • They are going to build all the signatures before R's or P's are started
    • It takes 10 days to ship a Model S to Florida - probably similar for Canada (maybe a couple extra)

So to speculate on what this might mean for the first Canadian deliveries... if the approval arrives before they get to the Canadian sigs, then they will start shipping immediately. If not then they will have to store 200 cars at Fremont (at least they have the room) until they can ship them. But with the extra delays it's more likely for them to get approval on time.

Sounds to me like we're looking at early December, but maybe late November.

7. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

That certainly fits within the Nov-Dec timeline you guys were given. Hopefully homologation doesn't hold things up any later than that.

I suppose homologation could be the reason for us Canadian P's not getting contacted to finalize yet as well...

8. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

Doug,

Are you speculating that they will build 20 million dollars worth of cars before they are approved to ship them, then store them indefinetly?

Peter

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Not indefinitely, no, at least not intentionally. As long as they don't get totally jerked around by Transport Canada, I'd assume they'll want them shipped immediately.

My guess at a worst-case scenario is the end of the year.

10. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Perhaps some calls to Transport Canada are in order...:wink::biggrin:

11. colinb

colinb Member

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

13. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if they need a special Canadian software version for the subtle differences here in Canada? (Metric gauges, DRLs that can't be over-ridden and so forth). Maybe the Canadian software is not finalized yet???

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes, there definitely are software differences. Aside from the different units, you have to lock the daytime running lights on. There are probably other things...

15. Spurkey

Spurkey P04251

That should take no time at all - add a multiplier on the units and flip a boolean for the DRLs. Clearly the time consuming part is adding the letter 'u' in all the appropriate places, it is the honourable thing to do.

16. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Nah... your Americanized handle "Sprkey" sounds cooler ;)

17. colinb

colinb Member

Where does that information come from? As noted in another thread a call to TC resulted in them redirecting to the manufacturer.

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

So I asked George Blankenship if he could provide a quick update on Canadian Signature deliveries. He said we didn't get the email because we hadn't been contacted for delivery. He doesn't expect us to see the same sort of scheduling problems.

He also said, "Everything appears to be on track to proceed from US Sig to Canadian Sig."

19. colinb

colinb Member

Would have been a good idea for him to mention that in the original post - not just for Canadian deliveries but for all non-US countries. Not sure about others experience but so far I'm not getting any form of pro-active communication. The only thing I have been told, having reached out to the Toronto store, is that November to December is when we can expect delivery. With none of the Canadian reservation holders having been contacted I guess it will most likely be December given the expectation of being contacted 30 days prior and it being the 20th of October already. Now that US production holders are getting dates either the delivery is going to happen very quickly or we just paid for a very expensive paint job.

20. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Given that the last US Sigs are being delivered around the end of November, I'm currently anticipating early December. Remember, the paperwork said Nov/Dec.

I'd expect the first deliveries to be in Vancouver, because (a) it's closer to Fremont and (b) SSL #1 and #2 are in the area.