TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S - Canadian pricing

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by mlascano, Aug 15, 2012.

1. mlascano

mlascano S Sig #722

#1 mlascano, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
    Good news for our friends up north, Canadian pricing is out!

TSLA - NASDAQ

I expect Canadian Sigs will start getting the "Time to build you model S" soon.

Maybe we will hit 5000 deliveries in 2012 after all.

2. mlascano

mlascano S Sig #722

An excerpt from the press release:

Does this mean even the base models with cloth seats will have heating? If so, great news for those who dislike leather and wanted the heated seats.
    Also, it appears the base model will not be stuck with piano black as the only interior trim option.

Chances of these changes being applied to US Prod?

3. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

Even the base model gets leather. But the fact that it doesn't meet NAFTA and gets the 6.1% price increase is a hard hit. Really disappointed...

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

But the've tacked the cost of leather on to the base price. That means if you don't like leather and opt for the fabric, you're going to pay for it anyway.

5. mlascano

mlascano S Sig #722

Yeah, that's too bad. Not sure how they come up with the percentages for how much of the car is made in North America, but the Panasonic battery (made in Japan I believe) puts the car under the minimum percentage established by NAFTA --> so Canada gets hit with the 6.1% import duty (GeorgeB confirmed this on the TM board: Canadian pricing out... i am in tears | Forums | Tesla Motors).

6. RKM

RKM Member

Several years ago, I had imported Thundersky batteries from China for use in a DIY car conversion. Rechargeable batteries for use in EVs were exempt from duty in Canada. It would be nice if the same reasoning would apply to the cells in the Model S!

7. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

My take on it is that cloth fabric seats are not available in Canada at all...

8. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

They still list cloth on the "options and pricing" portion of the Canadian TM Site. Although we don't have an official configuration yet.

9. harry

harry Member

RKM:

You are correct - the batteries themselves are duty free, under Section 8507.80.20 00 of the Most Favored Nations Treaty Tariff Schedule. Further, the work involved in building the cells into packs, etc. is NAFTA input.

I don't believe that Tesla really crunched the numbers and calculated the accumulations in the most favorable way. After all, it's not a cost to Tesla -- the duty is just a pass through, so they don't really have an incentive to spend a lot of resources on this issue. There are other reasons that Tesla should be concerned about not having a U.S. made product, tho. Remember Fisker's problem with the government loan?

10. harry

harry Member

I need to modify my post of a few minutes ago. The fact that the batteries can be imported duty free (Japan is one of the Most Favored Nations treaty countries) doesn't necessarily bear on the issue of accumulation for NAFTA purposes. The determination of origin is complicated beyond my ability to comprehend. My main concern is that the Model S won't be recognized as a U.S. product, and the implications that might have.

11. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Their incentive is that if they can sell the car at 6.1% less, they're going to sell more cars.

12. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

And there is significant discussion on the Canadian regional section here that shows at least a few TMC diehards need to downgrade options because of it. 6.1% is significant on 6-figure purchases.

*edit: this means our government pockets the extra 6% that otherwise Tesla would make (or at least about 30% of that 6% as extra margin)

13. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Just curious - do you have local Sales Tax to pay on Model S there?

14. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Your total sales tax depends on what province you live in...here in Ontario, I will have to pay 13% sales tax on the purchase price of the car ...no "local" tax at the municipal level though...only provincial & federal tax...Alberta still has no provincial sales tax I think.

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I just spluttered in my afternoon coffee! I was going to compare my 6% sales tax with your 6% import duty, but suddenly I feel quite lucky to be only paying 6% tax.

16. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Our government(s) at work...greatest minds of the 20th century :cursing::rolleyes:

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I prefer the term, "Our Government InAction".

Just so you know, that's 5% federal and 8% provincial tax.

18. clea

clea Member

and in Quebec the 9.5% provincial tax is on top of the 5% federal making it a 14.975% nominal rate ...:cursing:

19. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Well, as long as you get your healthcare coverage out of all this...

20. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

In Norway we have a sales tax of 25%(!). Luckily, EVs are exempt from both sales tax and import duties ;)